00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Someone tried to scam me

681 Views | 21 Replies

Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 14:36:49

You know, one of those computer scams where the caller tells you that your computer has virus or is getting hacked and tries to get you to go along with what he would say.

Trying to get you to go with a windows key + r so you'll think there is something wrong with your computer. Then later he would try to get you to some website to download something.

I actually played along for a bit but the problem is that his friend tried the same thing over a week ago and I looked it up. Later I hung up on the guy but I the reason I played along was because I was trying to be nice but then it turns out it'll only ends if you either cut him off or really go along with what he tells you.

Ever had this happen to you?

The guy has an Indian accent by the way so...for the description sake this can help you a bit.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 14:45:01

I hate these people. I wish they'd burn in hell.

Fucking pricks keep phoning my place.

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 15:17:36

At 7/9/15 02:45 PM, MuramasasEdge wrote: I hate these people. I wish they'd burn in hell.

Fucking pricks keep phoning my place.

I know, it makes you wonder how desperate they are. I mean they won't stop and chances are these people will continue until something is done whatever it is.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 15:24:23

At 7/9/15 03:20 PM, BlueReality wrote: Hello my friend! I am from America call centre but we are based in Delhi!

my friend, you must press WINDOWS KEY + R and go to www.lmi1.com and download our program!

yes! trust me only $200!

Seems legit.

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 15:27:33

if you dont have the smarts to avoid something like this, then you deserve it happening to you

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 15:29:22

Did they call you on your cell phone or your land line? Or was it Skype?

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 15:43:42

At 7/9/15 03:27 PM, HomicidalDragon wrote: if you dont have the smarts to avoid something like this, then you deserve it happening to you

They tend to call randomly, I don't see how anybody's actions would led to the call. It can happen to you as well, the point is that you don't do what they say.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 16:06:47

I let a Nigerian prince use my acount to move his money...got 5,000 bucks as a thank you gift.

keep on Reaping on

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 16:28:50

At 7/9/15 03:29 PM, someaveragechap wrote: Did they call you on your cell phone or your land line? Or was it Skype?

It's from the cell phone so I was able to copy down the number in case he tries to call again.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 16:37:15

Don't worry in a few years FBI agents will be knocking down their doors. The FBI are more familiar with the internet now INCLUDING internet scams.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 16:40:46

Most of those guys that try to scam me most often call me with an automated voicemail giving me instructions on what to do. If you're going to scam me, atleast have the balls to do it lively rather than using stupid bots.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 17:32:33

At 7/9/15 04:37 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Don't worry in a few years FBI agents will be knocking down their doors. The FBI are more familiar with the internet now INCLUDING internet scams.

Not sure if it's necessarily a good thing or a bad thing since there are some implications regarding this.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 17:53:26

What's Win+R do?

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 20:44:55 (edited 2015-07-09 20:51:05)

At 7/9/15 05:53 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: What's Win+R do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIMlc4Ns6s

Lazy.

Should explain enough.

With that said, Win+R is what gotten many people to fall for the scam.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 20:54:44

Whenever they've called me I've pretended to play along with them, get some good laughs when they start getting mad and figuring that I'm not playing their game.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 21:49:55

At 7/9/15 05:32 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 7/9/15 04:37 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Don't worry in a few years FBI agents will be knocking down their doors. The FBI are more familiar with the internet now INCLUDING internet scams.
Not sure if it's necessarily a good thing or a bad thing since there are some implications regarding this.

Its kinda a good thing because they are after the ones who stole tons of dollars from US citizens. Most of these people are international and it takes a lot to piss off the FBI if they want people like this. Some of these people are from different countries and scammed a lot of people in the US through hacking bank accounts to tricky phishing and so on. It's good to know that you can't get away with everything on the internet. Just because you're behind a monitor doesn't mean you'll always be safe.

Someone tried to scam me

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-09 22:09:08

Well that's shitty.

It's unbelievable how many people they get to rip-off and trick with these tactics. It's uncanny. The elderly and children should really never be left alone with technology if they don't know shit-- especially if they're borrowing your devices.

Good thing authorities are starting to crack down on this shit. Given how so many people need the internet for their work and daily life, this is a good thing-- even if it is at the cost of some privacy.

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-10 13:20:27

At 7/9/15 04:40 PM, Monster-64 wrote: Most of those guys that try to scam me most often call me with an automated voicemail giving me instructions on what to do. If you're going to scam me, atleast have the balls to do it lively rather than using stupid bots.

In most cases they do it lively but more often than not despite their obvious Indian accent, they would use western names. Are they fooling anyone?

Then again, they had to have succeeded enough to keep doing this over the years...

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-10 13:56:11

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah there are lots of hackers in the middle eastern areas. Don't trust them. That's why I also see "Clash of Clans Free Hack" videos.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-10 22:07:27 (edited 2015-07-10 22:14:53)

At 7/10/15 12:51 AM, TheDukeofJuke wrote:
At 7/9/15 09:49 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Its kinda a good thing because they are after the ones who stole tons of dollars from US citizens.
I'm not gay. But damn that 4th guy is quite the looker.

For some reason some hackers look like they belong in a boy band.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-10 22:15:24

At 7/9/15 03:27 PM, HomicidalDragon wrote: if you dont have the smarts to avoid something like this, then you deserve it happening to you

lol yeah, I usually try to troll the scammers when I can XD

derp

Response to Someone tried to scam me 2015-07-11 11:49:02

At 7/10/15 10:15 PM, PriusRepellent wrote:
lol yeah, I usually try to troll the scammers when I can XD

When you do, be sure to record it and upload it to YouTube, that's what some people have been doing lately and the results are hilarious.

Here's my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fYKZ41HGKg

Please subscribe

BBS Signature