00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

too many ngers in america?

1,975 Views | 31 Replies

too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 05:44:26

Do you think that too many NGers are American? I mean, I know it's the homeland of Newgrounds, but so many threads here don't have an international perspective, OP often assumes that the audience is American. How do you feel about this?

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 05:58:24

At 7/7/15 05:51 AM, Loki wrote:
At 7/7/15 05:44 AM, Dragen wrote: Do you think that too many NGers are American? I mean, I know it's the homeland of Newgrounds, but so many threads here don't have an international perspective, OP often assumes that the audience is American. How do you feel about this?
I feel like there's too many Brits.

Maybe that's because you think everyone who isn't from America is from the UK? Either way, it's a good thing the OP isn't from Norway.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 07:29:15

At 7/7/15 05:44 AM, Dragen wrote: but so many threads here don't have an international perspective

Dick jokes know no borders nor sovereign lands.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 07:44:01

all other countries are pointless.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 08:12:20

It kinda makes sense m80 because it is from the North America, and the site is in English.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 08:38:00

More like it is a shame we don't have more from elsewhere. Also we have a lot of British users as mentioned by other people. Now I would have loved Rad being British or me being American, but hey we both had to come from different continents for reasons.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 09:37:24

At 7/7/15 07:44 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: all other countries are pointless.

This is the exact reason why so many people think the US is full of assholes. Greetings to you from a place where patriotism is frowned upon.

Side note: I was really relieved when I saw this thread and realized "ngers" wasn't just a censored version of … you know.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 10:35:15

At 7/7/15 09:37 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: This is the exact reason why so many people think the US is full of assholes. Greetings to you from a place where patriotism is frowned upon.

Side note: I was really relieved when I saw this thread and realized "ngers" wasn't just a censored version of … you know.

This is actually pretty accurate. The US is full of assholes. Go to almost anywhere in the US and I can almost guarantee you will find assholes there, unless the place you chose was the middle of an unpopulated forest or a desert.

It's a mix, but yeah there's assholes everywhere. Foreigners in the US tend to be a bit nicer than the Americans who live there, on average.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 10:44:07

Considering how little I post on Newgrounds nowadays, I've never noticed most users automatically assuming the OPs of threads are American. It isn't exactly too hard to click on a users profile and find wherever they live (assuming said users bother to put in such information).

Newgrounds is made in America so it isn't surprising that most of the users might actually be American, even though there are some users, both in the past and today, which I've spoken and talked to that live in parts of Europe and parts of South America.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 10:48:22

When I read the title, I thought he was talking about something totally different.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 10:54:29

At 7/7/15 09:37 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: This is the exact reason why so many people think the US is full of assholes. Greetings to you from a place where patriotism is frowned upon.

Because you base your judgement on Americans when they say something that is either meant to be a joke or meaning to be sarcastic. Yeah, there are people in America who say that they're country's no. 1, but you get that in every country you go to, why do we get singled out for something like this?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 11:06:30

At 7/7/15 10:44 AM, Doberman wrote: Considering how little I post on Newgrounds nowadays, I've never noticed most users automatically assuming the OPs of threads are American. It isn't exactly too hard to click on a users profile and find wherever they live (assuming said users bother to put in such information).

What I meant is that the OP creates a thread and assumes the entire audience lives in the US, so if they only say things that apply to their country, even though they could expand the topic to let others in on the discussion.

I wish I knew the NG demographics better.
Someone should make some kind of bar graph or pie chart or something.
Someday, if I ever get to work at one of the Research Stations in Antarctica, I will GLADLY represent Newgrounds as the first Antarctican NGer.

Also, do you guys think ANYone has ever visited Newgrounds from North Korea?
Sure it's unlikely that any of the common people have, but what about hackers or people in upper echelons within Pyongyang?

WHAT IF there's an account somewhere on Newgrounds, EVEN JUST ONE, made in North Korea with a North Korean IP?
@liljim, is there a way you guys could tell? I don't know why this intrigues me so hard.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 11:43:20

I get it!

At 7/7/15 10:54 AM, orangebomb wrote: Because you base your judgement on Americans when they say something that is either meant to be a joke or meaning to be sarcastic. Yeah, there are people in America who say that they're country's no. 1, but you get that in every country you go to, why do we get singled out for something like this?

TonyDarkGrave and all of the politics forum users like him must be very good at sustaining jokes and sarcasm over many, many years then.

Sure, it might happen in every country... but the Newgrounds BBS is still the forum where a far-right American user once used a white supremacist website as a source.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 12:54:28

At 7/7/15 11:15 AM, dem0lecule wrote: This patriotism shit happens in every country, including Germany, my wiener friend.

Only as far as sports are concerned. (While we're at it, the English and US women's football teams should rot in hell. And the Portuguese junior team too.) In all other cases, we rather seem to hate our fellow countrymen once they live as far away as the next village.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

In the past I was aware that the art forum was very European.
I believe time zones and the relative activity of users from these places has a considerable effect on the perceived user base. If you're able to have a real-time response from somebody (like a chat) they're more likely to feel part of a community and stick around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Americans think it's mostly Brits online if they're able to visit the site during the day.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 13:30:51

At 7/7/15 11:06 AM, Dragen wrote: What I meant is that the OP creates a thread and assumes the entire audience lives in the US, so if they only say things that apply to their country, even though they could expand the topic to let others in on the discussion.

Well, I guess that's fair enough if they're trying to make a topic which would only apply to that audience. After all, there are some topics I don't post in simply because I don't care enough or because I don't feel I have anything to add to them - without nationality getting in the way too much.

At 7/7/15 01:17 PM, SansNumbers wrote: My location information is initially a bit cryptic, to say the least.

Like I say, really depends on the thread. I don't always think nationality will get in the way most of the time if you actually have a grasp of knowledge with the thread at hand. I know there may be a slight gap when you're talking about something such as politics in a country compared to videogames (which everyone knows a bit about). but who knows? maybe some users actually do keep up with political news in other countries.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 13:38:25

At 7/7/15 11:26 AM, PussyShark wrote: I wish I knew the NG demographics better.
Someday, if I ever get to work at one of the Research Stations in Antarctica, I will GLADLY represent Newgrounds as the first Antarctican NGer.

Sure it's unlikely that any of the common people have, but what about hackers or people in upper echelons within Pyongyang?

WHAT IF there's an account somewhere on Newgrounds, EVEN JUST ONE, made in North Korea with a North Korean IP?
@liljim, is there a way you guys could tell? I don't know why this intrigues me so hard.

Probably not, the majority of people in North Korea don't have access to internet, and I highly doubt that those that do can get newgrounds on it.

too many ngers in america?

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 13:51:06

At 7/7/15 01:38 PM, NEOSLAYRE wrote:
At 7/7/15 11:26 AM, PussyShark wrote: I wish I knew the NG demographics better.

Probably not, the majority of people in North Korea don't have access to internet, and I highly doubt that those that do can get newgrounds on it.

I already addressed that fact. Do not condescend to me about North Korea, I know a great deal about the country.
Most of North Korea's internet is filtered by Kim Jong-Un and the PDRNK to show only propagated information that mostly supports the Kim family and Juche ideals.
MY question in particular is whether or not some of the people within higher positions in the country have made an account on NG, made a post on the BBS, submitted ANYthing, left ANY kind of mark on Newgrounds.
With all its content, is it so wild to wonder if there's at least some speck of North Korea hidden somewhere?

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 14:06:02

At 7/7/15 11:43 AM, NuScarab wrote: Sure, it might happen in every country... but the Newgrounds BBS is still the forum where a far-right American user once used a white supremacist website as a source.

Ok, one person (Wriggle I assume) does this, and now the floodgates of criticism and hate opens for all Americans. See, this is exactly what I'm talking about, it's so easy to criticize Americans by the actions of a few folks, especially in international affairs where Western Europe seems to sic us to clean up their shit that they made back during the time of imperialism.

But hey, it's all good. We'll (and Britian to a lesser extent) do all the heavy lifting, while Western Europe can enjoy the smoking the chronic and the occasional soccer...erm "football" riot.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-07 15:41:47

not enough Canadians

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 01:59:34

if there was a list of the most mentally deranged countries i think japan and america would be on the top. japan is no longer habitable

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 02:44:47

Population of the USA: 318.9 (as of 2014)

China probably banned Newgrounds anyway.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 03:52:42

At 7/8/15 02:44 AM, poopmcfarts wrote: Population of the USA: 318.9 (as of 2014)

China probably banned Newgrounds anyway.

You sure about that? I mean there is huge Chinese censorship -- I get that -- but they tend to go after more Chinese language sites primarily, yeah?

I know there's been people in China who've accessed American sites no problem, whereas their Chinese counterparts were blocked.

It's kind of the same thing with how Chinese piracy sites are some of the last to come down -- because the US is interested in taking down the English-language sites first and China doesn't care to enforce US laws. So a Chinese speaker living in the US might have an easier time circumventing some of that, just as an English speaker living in China.

If you don't speak the language you don't have much way of knowing what they're saying anyway. It's an effective means around censorship unless they're onto you.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 04:20:33

At 7/7/15 02:06 PM, orangebomb wrote: especially in international affairs where Western Europe seems to sic us to clean up their shit that they made back during the time of imperialism.

I'm pretty sure that a good portion of people in Western Europe would like the US to stop doing that. It just doesn't include those in power.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 12:04:57

At 7/8/15 04:20 AM, DamnedByFate wrote: I'm pretty sure that a good portion of people in Western Europe would like the US to stop doing that. It just doesn't include those in power.

Well, then they should maybe stop asking us to do much of their dirty work and then turn around and blame us for doing the job. Blaming those in power is only attacking the weed at the surface, the root of it is much deeper than that.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 14:04:18

At 7/7/15 05:44 AM, Dragen wrote: Do you think that too many NGers are American?

I see what you did there.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 14:05:13

I say not enough, I only know like a few people who know about/like newgrounds, and even then none of them used the BBS.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 14:07:35

I never liked using that word NGers.
Almost sounds like that one terrible N word that'll get anyone banned.

Response to too many ngers in america? 2015-07-08 14:35:46

At 7/8/15 02:08 PM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 7/8/15 02:44 AM, poopmcfarts wrote: Population of the USA: 318.9 (as of 2014)
That's a shockingly low number; how can you have .9 people?

Million.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature