00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Being shot

3,773 Views | 65 Replies

Being shot 2015-07-04 01:03:21

Has anyone ever been shot before?
I've been working at this gas station for 8 months now, night shift every friday and saturday. The statistical likely-hood that it could happen, for me, working in the middle of Little Rock, Arkansas, is very real.
I'm not going to sit here and tell myself that I would hop over the counter and beat the person's ass. I have worked out MANY different disarming methods in my head, done research on the subject and even done a little reading on talking the customer down.
But no matter how well prepared I am for the possibility of staring down the dark emptiness of a barrel, I honestly don't know how I would react.
I've never been faced with the scenario for real. If any ultimately life-threatening scenario for that matter.
I heard somewhere once that "we never know who we are until we're faced with adversity."
Am I a coward? Am I brave? This is what worries me the most. That I'll let myself down in these moments.

So let's talk about this. Has anyone else worked at a gas station before or any other high risk public service job dealing with risky customers? Has anyone been robbed before or has anyone actually been shot and could you describe the feeling? (this is more or less just for my morbid curiosity, much the same as the mystery of what people taste like).

Being shot

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:06:32

I've been shot at multiple times, but never actually hit.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:08:37

At 7/4/15 01:06 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: I've been shot at multiple times, but never actually hit.

wow, what happened? how did it make you feel?

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:09:29

Have you looked into getting a concealed carry license? If someone pulls out a gun, you would need only to wait for a moment of distraction when you can shoot him before he has a chance to shoot you. The people who do this shit are generally retards so you can bet that they won't consider you a threat until it's too late for them.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:10:58

Ive heard a gunshot once and one time a group of mexican kids knocked my cd player out of my hands and ran off with it. Think they broke it. They got my Black Flag cd though.

So yes I'm kind of a hero.

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:16:49

I've never been shot at, but at least I know how to use a gun. Although the last time I used a gun was about 6-8 years ago when I was still in Boy Scouts.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:17:49

I quit my job at the gas station after a coworker of mine was robbed at knife point. I miss working there cuz the job was so easy. I just can't get past the chance of being knifed or shot.

I would find something safer. Has there ever been robberies at the store you work at?

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:23:54

1. never worked anywhere high risk
2. i hope you never get shot and dont ever experience that shit.
3. its always risky and unnerving to work at a place like that. especially with location, late hours and the kind of crowd it attracts.

but living in the US, a lot of places you can have a gun at your business i think.
thats one up over us.

i never got shot and im hoping to keep that for the rest of my life.
heard it gets kinda messy.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:26:15

I live in Chicago and amazingly enough I've never even seen a gun that wasn't holstered and on a cop.

Seeing as gunshots are pretty powerful and can hit a wide variety of tissue in the body I would assume that it would totally depend on where you were shot. A lot of fatal shots don't hurt at all.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:27:06 (edited 2015-07-04 01:30:51)

At 7/4/15 01:08 AM, PussyShark wrote: wow, what happened? how did it make you feel?

Well, I used to do graffiti as a teenager and was a member of a couple different tagging crews. One night about 10 years ago we were out tagging in the projects and some dudes saw us hitting up. I guess they thought we were in a rival gang or some shit so they started shooting at us from up the street.

One of the guys in our crew had a .38 special and starting shooting back at them as we were running away. I don't think he hit any of them, though. We ended up hopping this fence, ran down the hill and down a few blocks until we got to the bus stop, hopped on the bus as soon as it came and got out of there before they caught up to us. I was kinda scared and my adrenaline was definitely pumping. Fortunately we all managed to get away without getting hit.

Another time I was walking down the street and there was some dudes standing on the corner. I guess someone must have had some beef with them because this Buick rolled up and the dude(s) in the car started shooting up the spot. The bullets almost hit me, too, so I started running and managed to get away. I don't know if those other dudes got hit or not.

And then another time I was at this house party with some friends back when I was like 17 and there was a fight (there was always at least one.) After the fight was over one of the dudes who was fighting left with his friends. I guess they went to their car to get his gun because 5 minutes later a bunch of bullets started flying through the windows into the living room. I think a couple people got hit but I don't think anyone died. Me and my friends all left before the cops showed up (none of us got hit) because a couple of my friends had warrants and one of them had a dirty gun on him.

Ironically enough I live in a city with some of the most draconian gun control laws in the entire United States. Just comes to show how completely ineffective that shit is at actually stopping people who don't give a shit about the law in the first place from getting guns.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:34:45

At 7/4/15 01:17 AM, illicit wrote:
I would find something safer. Has there ever been robberies at the store you work at?

I get my CDL august 28th, after which I will be making more money in a much safer job.

And yes, one of our guys was shot to death back in january at one of the stores in North Little Rock. An old man.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 01:52:08

I haven't been, but man if you're running a gas station and someone comes in to rob the place and you don't even have a gun, just let him take whatever he wants and just report it after he's gone. I doubt he's interested in shooting you unless you get in his way. I mean unless it's someone you know who is specifically coming there for you with intent to kill you and not merely rob the place. In that case you need a plan.

I doubt your employer can legally do much to you for letting a robber get away when a gun was to your head. I mean he could fire you but that's about it, and you could sue him if he fires you for it.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 02:13:51

@DJ-Ri
You've had a fun life.

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 02:19:24 (edited 2015-07-04 02:22:45)

At 7/4/15 02:13 AM, Avery wrote: You've had a fun life.

"Fun" is not quite the word that I would use to describe it...

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 02:39:27

I worked in a restaurant before, luckily there wasn't any real life Pumpkin and Honey Bunny to steal from us. I also have an acquaintance who has been working in gas stations and convenience stores for a few years, he said he's seen a lot of shady characters but never got mugged.

But maybe it's Canada, the risk is still present but at a lower rate than in the US.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 03:15:07

I've been shot multiple times...

With a camera.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 03:23:03

At 7/4/15 01:03 AM, PussyShark wrote: Has anyone been robbed before or has anyone actually been shot and could you describe the feeling? (this is more or less just for my morbid curiosity, much the same as the mystery of what people taste like).

From what I know about the damage a bullet from an assault rifle or a pistol can do to your body, I'd assume it's very painful, though you'll most likely end up being in a shock so, you may not even realize the pain.

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 06:03:13

At 7/4/15 02:19 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 7/4/15 02:13 AM, Avery wrote: You've had a fun life.
"Fun" is not quite the word that I would use to describe it...

How about 'exciting'?

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 13:30:25

Your job sounds like something i'd like, staying up all night in a gas station/convenience store, maybe check Newgrounds and post in some threads while bored.
If the risk of being shot is a small price to pay for my late night BBS shitposting then so be it.

At 7/4/15 06:17 AM, Vixuzar wrote: Nah. I never got shot or anything like that.

There's still time.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 13:58:42

I have been shot with paint balls. It is not fun.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 14:02:12

I'm British, the most I have to worry about is getting stabbed or, unlikely as it sounds, be mistaken as a clay pigeon.

I'm very grateful about the lack of hand guns and accessibility to firearms, here in the UK. I hate the thought of the idiots in my area having access to guns, it'd be fucking carnage.

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 14:25:24 (edited 2015-07-04 14:27:32)

I've known a few people that were shot or shot at, but because they were the kind of people that were involved with trouble. They all survived though. Unless they were lying, but they said they were, but one guy I worked with was mentioned in the paper because he was shot in the leg. This was before I met him.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 19:46:26

At 7/4/15 01:27 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
Just comes to show how completely ineffective that shit is at actually stopping people who don't give a shit about the law in the first place from getting guns.

sounds like more of a reason to follow through on the concealed carry idea.

And wow man, that all sounds exciting and intense. I just have one thing to say to all of that.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 19:49:48

At 7/4/15 07:46 PM, PussyShark wrote: sounds like more of a reason to follow through on the concealed carry idea.

They actually outright banned concealed carry in my city, so that's not even an option for you out here unless you're OK with breaking the law (it is kind of unenforceable anyway, kinda like gun control in general!) Fortunately gun rights groups are in the process of trying to repeal it, but I don't know if they'll succeed or not. I do what I can to support them.

And wow man, that all sounds exciting and intense. I just have one thing to say to all of that.

I like Zapp & Roger's version better.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 20:18:08

Nope.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Being shot 2015-07-04 20:37:28

The good part about being shot in the buttocks, is the ice cream! - Forrest gump

Being shot

Response to Being shot 2015-07-05 00:38:10 (edited 2015-07-05 00:38:49)

At 7/4/15 01:30 PM, Radaketor wrote: Your job sounds like something i'd like, staying up all night in a gas station/convenience store, maybe check Newgrounds and post in some threads while bored.
If the risk of being shot is a small price to pay for my late night BBS shitposting then so be it.

yes, that is one great perk to this job. A lot of down time to mess around on my phone and basically do whatever.
If you ever consider a gas station job, work at a rural one. Sometimes I get transferred to the city stores and it requires much more vigilance, but at this particular store im working at tonight out in the country its fucking cake. i have chores and things I need to take care of before 7am, but I'm in such good shape that I can knock it all out with enough time to dick around on newgrounds or do some handstand pushups or go outside and chill.

The downfall of this job is, of course, that I have to deal with some insane human beings and may even have to run the risk of being robbed at gun or knife point.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-05 00:45:24 (edited 2015-07-05 00:45:34)

At 7/5/15 12:38 AM, PussyShark wrote:
At 7/4/15 01:30 PM, Radaketor wrote: Your job sounds like something i'd like
The downfall of this job is, of course, that I have to deal with some insane human beings

Is your life exactly like the plot of Clerks?

Response to Being shot 2015-07-05 00:54:14

I always imagined it felt like a big ass needle just shooting into you. But no I've never been shot.

I actually want to go to a shooting range one day, but I'm afraid the gun might backfire.

Just call me Psycho for short.

Response to Being shot 2015-07-05 01:10:03

At 7/4/15 01:03 AM, PussyShark wrote: Has anyone ever been shot before?
I've been working at this gas station

stopped reading there, you asked for it by working a shitty job.

My dad used to work at a sketchy K-mart and got a gun pulled on him 3 times there.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature