00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How many Nes games have you beaten?

5,679 Views | 74 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Beating a Nes game with codes or game genie doesn't count. That is cheating and means you couldn't find a way to win without being a baby. Only game I can think of is Felix the Cat Nes. I am not too sure I ever beat any of the super mario games for nes. Since a lot of the levels are similar in Mario even tho they do have some variation I think I end up getting bored and never completing it. Tho, I guess you could say the same about Felix the Cat since it's just a Super Mario Bros 3 clone. However it's shorter and I think it actually does a little more variation when it comes to Power-ups. You can be a car, tank, submarine, airplane, hot air balloon and many more things.

I definitely didn't ever beat the Legend of Zelda. For one it seems like the Copy I bought online a couple years ago does not save the data correctly even tho the seller claimed the battery was still working on it. That or maybe there's a trick to saving the game? I honestly forget. Also, I had to watch gameplay videos and cheat kind of to even get far at all in Zelda. It's a complicating game with a lot of hidden things in it. I don't think anyone has ever beaten it without a guide unless they were the game creators themselves. I know someone is going to claim they have but I don't buy it because the game has a lot of cryptic stuff in it.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-02 12:15:49

Man, The only ones that I can remember beating are super Mario bros, and contra. I could never finish castlevania, smb 2 and 3, or batman.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-02 23:19:26

Super Mario Brothers 3 is a long ass game and you can't even save it if I remember correctly. That is probably the number 1 reason why most people never beat Super Mario Brothers 3. I doubt many people want to play non-stop and playing on an original nes console the ac adapter gets really hot playing for a couple of hours. I like to unplug the ac adapter because of how hot it runs. This probably doesn't matter that it gets hot because my macbook 2009 plug gets hot like it too. I just notice that some ac adapters get hotter than others. I don't know why that is but I do know that the Nes ac adapter and my Macbook 2009 ac adapter get pretty warm.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-02 23:37:03

Pretty confident that I could beat any NES cartridge in a fight

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 01:37:31

Off the top of my head? And to be specific these are all beaten on the actual NES system. No emulators with save states or ports that allow saving when you originally couldn't or have been rebalanced to change the game.

Super Mario Bros. (really hard when you don't realize you can continue from the world you died at)
Megaman 2-6
Kirby's Adventure
Ninja Gaiden
Wizards & Warriors
Abadox
Rygar
Gun.Smoke
Castlevania
Adventure of Lolo (awesome puzzle game BTW)

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 08:42:23

I never owned an NES but I did own a SNES. So a few games like the Mario ones which were graphical upgrades I have played and beaten a few of, I know I beat Super Mario World a few times.

As for what may have been a straight port of an NES game including grapics (but I don't know for sure) I had the original Zelda on a gamecube collection disc and enjoyed it enough to beat it.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 09:03:46

Astyanax is a really beautiful game and probably one of the first games to have cut scenes in it. It's a good game but really tough. I beat it with a game genie.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 18:27:27

The last time I checked , I had beaten several hundred NES games. I will not be listing them all.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 18:31:27

None.

I sucked at platformer games when I had an NES in the early '90s.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 23:21:27

I keep a list of every game I've beaten and according to that list I've beaten 12. The hardest one I've beaten is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. According to you, that one doesn't count since I used the HELP ME code. I think it does count because that code doesn't make the game easier, it just saves time.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 23:37:29

Never played much Nes games, but I can reach Kraid in Metroid.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-03 23:42:36

At 7/3/15 11:21 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: The hardest one I've beaten is Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. According to you, that one doesn't count since I used the HELP ME code. I think it does count because that code doesn't make the game easier, it just saves time.

Using that code means it does not count. I have beat Castelvania 1,2,and 3 without cheating/codes. It can be done.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-04 00:40:05

At 7/3/15 11:42 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Using that code means it does not count. I have beat Castelvania 1,2,and 3 without cheating/codes. It can be done.

It counts to me. I'd rather beat the game in 3 or 4 hours than 6 or 8.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-04 00:43:11

At 7/4/15 12:40 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: It counts to me. I'd rather beat the game in 3 or 4 hours than 6 or 8.

Do you count using a game genie or save states as beating a game fair?

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-04 00:49:07

At 7/4/15 12:43 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Do you count using a game genie or save states as beating a game fair?

If it saves time and doesn't ruin the challenge of the game then yes. The first time I beat Castlevania, I created a save state right before Dracula. If you die or game over at Dracula, you start right before him anyway. Loading a save state would only save me the tedium of grinding for hearts.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-04 13:42:04

At 7/4/15 12:49 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: If it saves time and doesn't ruin the challenge of the game then yes. The first time I beat Castlevania, I created a save state right before Dracula. If you die or game over at Dracula, you start right before him anyway. Loading a save state would only save me the tedium of grinding for hearts.

I do not agree with you. However, as long as you let people know how you beat those games, than that is fine.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-04 23:45:50

Without using Gamegenie, I've beaten quite a few. I used it once or twice to do level skips or give a slight advantage over unfair games.
Back when I was in college, The radio station I worked at had a computer with some kind of built in Emulator that had like every NES/ Famicom game ever made so I did some much needed catching up on games I had never played.

Also, are you counting "Bad Endings" For games like Bubble bobble and Rainbow islands? I dug up an old list of games I'd beaten over the years.

Armadillo (famicom)
Cocoron (Famicom)
Sweet Home (Famicom)

Adventures in the magic kingdom
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Arkista's Ring- Didn't do the Twice over like you're supposed to, but I'm counting it.
Astyanax
Battle of olympus
Blaster Master- Beat it once with a glitch due to corruption and then once Legit.
Bonk's Adventure
Bubble bobble - bad ending
Chip- N- Dale 1
Circus caper
Contra force
Darkwing Duck
Double Dare
Dragon Spirit (Both as Blue and Gold Dragon)
Dynowarz
Felix the cat (Might I say, I'm kind of glad you brought this one up as I've also beaten the pirate version. I played a lot of these on a friend's computer back in college.)
Fire-N-Ice
Ghosts-N-Goblins (I beat it one time through. I'm not going to sit through and beat it again!)
Ghoul School
Guerrilla war
Hammerin' Harry (Famicom)
Ikari Warriors III
Jackal
Jaws
Jeopardy!
Kabuki Quantum fighter
Kirby's adventure
Legend of the ghost lion
Legacy of kage
Legend of Zelda
Lethal weapon
Life force/Salamander
the little Mermaid
Little Nemo
Little samson
M.U.L.E.- I don't know if you ever consider truly beating it, as all you can do is just get a good score.
Maniac Mansion- Multiple endings
Megaman 1, 2, 3, 5, &6 (6 is the easiest IMO.)
Mendel Palace
Mickey Mousecapade- Don't know if I can ever consider this one as You can beat the final boss while holding an invincibility item, making it a cake walk.
Monster in my pocket
Monster party
New Ghostbusters
North & South- Both as Union and as CSA.
Panic Restaurant
Popeye
Puss N Boots
Robin hood prince of thieves
Rockin' Kats
Star Tropics
Super Mario 1, 2 & 3
Thrilla's Surfari
TROG
Ufouria
Uninvited (I've also beaten shadowgate, but it was the Gameboy release, so I don't know if it counts.)
Wheel of fortune
Where's waldo?
Widget
Willow
Wizards & Warriors
Zelda 2

There's a few more by other companies like wisdom tree and color dreams
Bible Buffet
Bignose the caveman
Menace beach
Master chu & the drunkard hu
Silent assault
Spiritual Warfare (Ironically I named my character "Satan")

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-06 23:57:32

At 7/3/15 06:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: The last time I checked , I had beaten several hundred NES games. I will not be listing them all.

Ditto. I played that system obsessively as a kid.

Although my proudest trophy might just be Blaster Master.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-07 17:45:37

At 7/6/15 11:57 PM, thebitterroost wrote:
At 7/3/15 06:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: The last time I checked , I had beaten several hundred NES games. I will not be listing them all.
Ditto. I played that system obsessively as a kid.

Although my proudest trophy might just be Blaster Master.

I beat that game as well. The NES did have over 800 games, who would want to list that many?

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-08 03:17:34

At 7/3/15 01:37 AM, Jercurpac wrote: you can continue from the world you died at)

wait what

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-08 10:55:48

At 7/8/15 03:17 AM, TOXlCITY wrote:
At 7/3/15 01:37 AM, Jercurpac wrote: you can continue from the world you died at)
wait what

Somebody was not classically trained. Not knowing NES knowledge.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-08 23:16:41

At 7/8/15 10:55 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Somebody was not classically trained. Not knowing NES knowledge.

I have been playing SMB ever since I was 6. How did I not ever know this

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-09 01:27:17

Barely any.

Holy shit I suck.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-09 07:17:11

Pretty much this. This is not including games which cannot be beaten simply because there is no true end to them, of which there are many.

Only some NES games are beatable. (Some are merely high-scorable, particularly puzzle games and ports of arcade games)

Can anyone beat Tetris? No. They can merely get a high score or get to a high level.

Also lol at all the people with substandard "standards" for what they accept as beating a game, am I right DoctorStrongbad?

For me, *all* of the following must hold or you didn't beat it
- NO Continues!
- NO Warping!
- NO Glitching!
- NO Turbo Controllers!
- NO Cheat Devices (Game Genie, Game Shark, Action Replay, etc...)
- NO Cheat Codes
- Must be on hardest mode
- Must be full completion (if it's a game that has a concept of full completion)

You are allowed to use a guide only if the game is arcane. For example, looking up the 747 code for StarTropics or the random crap you'd never figure out in Castlevania II: Simon's Quest are certainly allowed as you'd not likely figure them out yourself and they are arcana-based rather than skill-based. (Although I did figure out the 747 thing all by myself but I had the original complete game with everything included, which most people probably won't have the paper that came with the game to be able to do that)

Bypassing arcana-based roadblocks is allowed. Bypassing skill-based roadblocks isn't.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-09 11:56:26

At 7/9/15 07:17 AM, NeonSpider wrote:

Also lol at all the people with substandard "standards" for what they accept as beating a game, am I right DoctorStrongbad?

That is true.

For me, *all* of the following must hold or you didn't beat it
- NO Continues!
- NO Warping!
- NO Glitching!
- NO Turbo Controllers!
- NO Cheat Devices (Game Genie, Game Shark, Action Replay, etc...)
- NO Cheat Codes
- Must be on hardest mode
- Must be full completion (if it's a game that has a concept of full completion)

Don't forget no save stating, or as we call it " save scumming. "

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-09 18:20:42

Maybe 3 or 4, but zelda II is one I have beaten, and thats enough for me.

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-10 00:19:58

At 7/9/15 11:56 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Don't forget no save stating, or as we call it " save scumming. "

True. That's also cheating. 99.9% of these youtube speedruns aren't legit at all because they're "TAS" which basically, yeah, just save scumming. Not to mention the timing will be ever slightly different under emulation than under the original systems and also they tend to exploit glitches in these speedruns, which also isn't a legitimate playthrough.

And I'm sure there's probably still other means of cheating I haven't thought of that people do. Sometimes might depend on the exact game though.

Basically if it wasn't a way that the original developers/creators of the game intended for the game to be beaten, then it's not allowed in a legitimate playthrough. You can use cheats, but that's just called "practice" rather than "beating the game".

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-10 12:06:27

At 7/10/15 12:19 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
Basically if it wasn't a way that the original developers/creators of the game intended for the game to be beaten, then it's not allowed in a legitimate playthrough. You can use cheats, but that's just called "practice" rather than "beating the game".

Yes, Many newer players confuse practice with beating it for real. Emulation makes it easier to cheat, but you must avoid those traps if you want to be a real gamer.

BBS Signature

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-10 16:17:56

Clash at Demonhead

Response to How many Nes games have you beaten? 2015-07-11 16:27:25

At 7/2/15 11:19 PM, TheKlown wrote: Super Mario Brothers 3 is a long ass game and you can't even save it if I remember correctly.

No you can't save it. But it isn't very long if you know how to get the warp whistles.

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature