00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Old style sweet shops and butchers

660 Views | 11 Replies

Do you guys ever go to this types of places? Your local town butcher for some nice meat or the towns old style sweet shop for some vintage joy? I recently went to the sweet shop in my town and it was such a small place but jars of sweets all over and I bought a bar of "coconut Ice" for only £1 which was incredibly nice (though I wasn't quite able to eat it all as I felt bad on the very last bite) and really it was such a nice little place with nice good tasting sweets of actual flavours and not the overly processed type with stronger flavours, a gentle soft flavour which is both good and bad.

As for the butchers, I haven't been myself yet though when I feel more inclined to cook proper meats I think I might. Supporting the family business type of good quality meat with the best ingredients all hand prepared and stuff. More unique compared to the supermarket types. The main problem though being the supermarket type is easier to get while doing normal shopping of course.

Do you guys support these local type stores of good vintage blissfulness?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

At 6/30/15 07:02 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: My town has The Bulk Store.

Man that's big. That is like 2-3 times as big as the place we have. But you hit the nail on the head for stuff being in jars and the like. You get to buy by the pound and stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 19:04:55

i just go to safeway for a few lunch meats every once in a while... nothing more then that

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 19:05:24

At 6/30/15 07:04 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: i used to go to the sweet shop with my grandma when I was 4, every day
my sister and I were allowed tuppence each for two sweets (or one large sweet, e.g. foam banana)
they were simpler times, they were better times

Damn that brings back good memories of no cares~ now I would never leave the house for so little...

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 19:51:48

My town has a place called "Inboden's Meat Market". Their Santa Fe burger is awesome, and even though I don't drink it, their wine is pretty cheap as well.

The town my mom grew up has an awesome candy store, which includes a jelly been buffet where you can get a bag of any combination of jelly bean flavors.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 20:14:01

I don't eat meat and I don't eat candy so, no, not really.

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 20:41:11

There aren't any old style butchers or candy shops around here.

Closest to a decent butcher would be the guy at Trader Joe's and the candy store at the mall. Neither are what I would call old fashioned. Damn, now I want me some See's Candy chocolate sampler.

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 21:52:28

At 6/30/15 08:27 PM, HomicidialFrog wrote: There was this Victorian style sweet shop not too far away from my secondary school and they started selling these weird extremely sour things that tasted like vomit and the idea was to trick someone, such as a fellow classmate, into trying one. It lasted about a week before everyone in the school, including some of the teachers, had tried one before and therefore would never take one again. Then they just sort of died out silently and were never seen again.

It was kind of dumb, in retrospect.

I noticed there was some stupid jelly bean thing where they would either taste nice or taste of properly disgusting things and you were meant to gamble with them in that way.

I really don't get this shit either. They did those stupid chocolate things where one was coffee and adverts made that out to be some guy making a stupid face and someone going "he got the coffee hahahaha" and even that seemed dumb. To actually make people sick is just stupid. Defies the point of sweets~

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 22:46:42

There hasn't been many localized candy stores in a long time, though I suppose a local ice cream shop does sell candy by the pound, which is about as close to a sweet shop as I've even been in. As for butchers, I've seen them and ordered from them from time to time, but they are either viewed as a novelty, part of a bigger store, or for rich clients.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-06-30 22:51:25

My city has Sugar Mountain Vintage candy at the middle of it and old style arcade games at the caboose of the train. My weekends are filled with candy and quarters for Tekken.

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-07-01 01:07:43

At 6/30/15 06:57 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Do you guys support these local type stores of good vintage blissfulness?

yes. i love them, i bought some very good meat from the butcher near my place
and i love going there time and time again for some jerky and deer meat.

Response to Old style sweet shops and butchers 2015-07-01 01:43:42

My town has a nice little candy store that I pop into and get rock candy whenever I pass it. I have a bit of a sweet tooth.