00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hypertronik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Political Correctness in Society

3,267 Views | 46 Replies

Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 20:10:02

There's seems to be an epidemic, whether it be a good or bad thing it your eyes, of political correctness and social justice.

Months ago, in the nearby town of Lancaster, shit arised as people began to complain of the highschool's mascot; the Redskins. After months of protest and debate from both sides, the name eventually was deemed inappropriate and the school has since adopted the Lancaster Alphas name.

Now, a local park named Squaw Island has fallen to attack. The city has decided it is best to rename it, as "squaw" is apparently a derogative of Seneca women coined by early settlers. I didn't know this. I'm disappointed in this renaming as Squaw Island is a historical point in Buffalo, and one of the points I water test monthly.

So, has any of this happened in any cases around you?

How do you feel about this political correctness movement in society? Good? Bad?

The Newgrounds Revolution isn't a thing, quit being a pussy.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 20:10:49

I think political correctness is destroying American culture.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 20:14:14

At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, Hoodie wrote: lol what is this? 1980?

Elaborate on this statement?

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 21:15:21

At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: So, has any of this happened in any cases around you?

Not that I can immediately recall. I guess since our society is slowly becoming more culturally aware, we sometimes take unnecessary steps in preventing/resolving conflict. I think for the most part though, we're moving in a good direction. We just need to iron out the silly instances where too many liberties are being curved for the sake of PC.

How do you feel about this political correctness movement in society? Good? Bad?

I've always subscribed to the belief that, short of antagonization, being offended is a voluntary mindset. However, I also believe in the importance of education and toleration. If a group is simply ignorant of another group or culture, it is both parties' duty to establish an open form of communication with each other so that they can better understand the significance of whatever specific symbols, names, or language means to them.

That way we can all be a lot happier together on this beautiful world yay! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 21:18:47

At 6/23/15 09:15 PM, FinaLee wrote:
At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: So, has any of this happened in any cases around you?
Not that I can immediately recall.

Haha what the fuck? We're moving in a good direction?

This country's falling apart

As a southern straight white male cyclist, I'm probably the most hated person in America right now

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:06:41

From a white man's point of view.... its fucking retarded.

Every single person in the fucking world whines about being mistreated..... but the white man gets stepped on day in day out.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:10:54

At 6/23/15 10:06 PM, Raab wrote: From a white man's point of view

Finally. We need more opinionated white men on the internet and indeed in everyday life.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:21:14

At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I think political correctness is destroying American culture.

good

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:27:18

At 6/23/15 10:10 PM, GodInACup wrote:
At 6/23/15 10:06 PM, Raab wrote: From a white man's point of view
Finally. We need more opinionated white men on the internet and indeed in everyday life.

I disagree with Raab on a lot of issues, but I think that this time he actually does kind of have a point. Thanks to affirmative action, white men are kind of getting the shit end of the stick... Asians, too.

With affirmative action, if you're a member of an ethnic group that is "overrepresented" within a certain industry or educational institution, you could be denied a job position or rejected from a school regardless of how qualified you actually are in favor of someone less qualified than you, simply because they are a member of the "underrepresented" group.

Proponents of affirmative action argue that it's necessary in order to compensate for perceived discrimination against "underrepresented" ethnic groups, but in reality they're just adding to the problem by creating even more discrimination for the sake of being "politically correct." They seem to think that it's OK to discriminate against an overrepresented group while it isn't OK to discriminate against an underrepresented group, which is flawed thinking at best, and outright stupidity at worst.

It would be nice if we could eliminate discrimination altogether, but unfortunately I don't see that happening any time soon with the way things have been going lately...

At 6/23/15 10:21 PM, KevinButtchin wrote:
At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I think political correctness is destroying American culture.
good

What's good about destroying a culture?

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:28:09

hey look it's this thread again

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:30:42

At 6/23/15 10:21 PM, KevinButtchin wrote:
good

american do it and you LOOOOOVED it

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:32:46

White people have it really rough in America.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:34:38

At 6/23/15 10:30 PM, KevinButtchin wrote:

Lol what? What are you talking about? Is that some kind of reference to the genocide and exodus of the Native Americans? I certainly didn't love that, and neither me or anyone in my family had anything to do with that, either. How is that even relevant? Two wrongs don't make a right. I love American culture.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:48:20

Even before our lords and saviors Rick and Morty discussed the topic, I've always thought striving for political correctness is a waste of everyone's time. Language is endlessly evolving. There's nothing wrong with simply using a word. It's the context in which the word is used that matters. Trying to dictate what can and can't be said based on how easily a word can be taken out of context succeeds only in retarding the growth of language as a whole.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:50:48

At 6/23/15 10:48 PM, Chdonga wrote: Trying to dictate what can and can't be said based on how easily a word can be taken out of context succeeds only in retarding the growth of language as a whole.

Yeah and this stuff is relevant to you too since you live in Buffalo.

I went to Cheektowaga HS and our team was the "Warriors". Because it's portrayed as a Native American ready in war paint, I feel like soon enough this too will be seen as racist and revised.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:51:36

The easiest way to summarize the pandemic of political correctness is that everyone is terrified of being called racist, homophobic, etc. by others, so they are far more susceptible to changing their displayed beliefs and standpoints in order to be accepted.

The problem lies not in those exploiting this, but in those who are willing to back down when challenged on whether what they say is offensive or not.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:52:16

At 6/23/15 10:50 PM, SansNumbers wrote: And the worst part is, nobody has ever brought this up before! Such a glaring issue that has never been brought to light UNTIL NOW.

It is also possible to muster the will power to not click reply.

By stating what I have done is obnoxious and unoriginal, you also have been obnoxious and unoriginal, and perpetuated the issue.

Congratulations

BBS Signature

Political correctness is about maintaining neutrality. So instead of referring the group of people having below average intelligence as "retards", you call them "mentally challenged".

I don't think it is necessary to do so. The underlying idea is interpreted in the same way regardless of your choice of words. Maintaining neutrality in the choice of words may make the meaning unclear to those who are not familiar with the terms.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:57:04

It's a separate thread, but I do believe this is relevant. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1393720
The whole removing the confederate flag stuff is entirely 100% about political correctness.

Some people may not like that flag, and that's perfectly fine.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 22:58:58

At 6/23/15 10:57 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It's a separate thread, but I do believe this is relevant. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1393720
The whole removing the confederate flag stuff is entirely 100% about political correctness.

Some people may not like that flag, and that's perfectly fine.

Heard about that too, but I threw out local examples. It's one thing to hear about stuff spread across the nation but this is the second large "incident" in my hometown in three months.

Pretty lame.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:06:14

At 6/23/15 11:02 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: THAT is what I hate. Feeling physically afraid just to speak openly and candidly about politics and culture.

Let's build on this; what is an example when this happened to you? What was the subject matter, with whom, and why did you decide to shut down?

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:08:43

At 6/23/15 08:10 PM, WahyaRanger2 wrote: Squaw Island

I like how the article doesn't tell us what "Squaw" means and we're just supposed to trust that it's racist and sexist. Because I've checked multiple sources and it simply means "woman". It was only used in a derogatory fashion by the white man in the 19th/20th century.

If people are so desperate to whine about something that they're willing to cherrypick a more modern use of a word, maybe they should petition to rename Beaver Island to something less lewd and sexist?

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:12:17

At 6/23/15 11:08 PM, Chdonga wrote: If people are so desperate to whine about something that they're willing to cherrypick a more modern use of a word, maybe they should petition to rename Beaver Island to something less lewd and sexist?

Nah I love me my Beaver.

7 bucks get you in.

On a serious note my brother mentioned that in addition to being used as a derogatory, squaw is old-timey slang for a woman's vagina. They nick-named it Squaw Island because the oblong shape, and a creek dividing it in half... It looks like a vagina.

Still, it's old English. It's irrelevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:12:56

At 6/23/15 11:02 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote: THAT is what I hate. Feeling physically afraid just to speak openly and candidly about politics and culture.

If we lived in a just world, these sorts of conversations wouldn't be considered taboo in an open atmosphere. Our current environment considers political opinions and religion so dangerous a set of topics that it is rude to ask a person their beliefs on the matter. That is exactly why you only really see this type of stuff on forums, and other online communication methods.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:14:57

"i'm not at fault here, it's everyone else who just needs to get used to me!"

please

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:18:58

At 6/23/15 11:11 PM, SansNumbers wrote: [run-on sentence] can properly try and shoot down points if they want to instead of using political correctness as a vague general direction where one can project hatred.

Alright, since you asked, we're mostly discussing the use of proper nouns. It's not a verb being used, an adjective against someone, it was a name of a team and the name of a park being under fired.

If I walked up to a Native American gentleman and called him a "redskin", it would be rather inappropriate, racist in fact.

But as a team name, the "Redskins"? It doesn't seem derogatory to me, because it's not meant to be hurtful to a group of individuals. That's what the point is I think.

Excuse this example, but to show how context of things are, you could say;

"I'm a Jew"
-or-
"You're a fucking Jew"

Context changes things.

Do you agree or no?

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:19:42

At 6/23/15 11:14 PM, Natick wrote: "i'm not at fault here, it's everyone else who just needs to get used to me!"

please

I'm going to need you to elaborate Hoodie 2.0

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:21:18

At 6/23/15 11:12 PM, Sectus wrote:
THAT is what I hate. Feeling physically afraid just to speak openly and candidly about politics and culture.
If we lived in a just world, these sorts of conversations wouldn't be considered taboo in an open atmosphere. Our current environment considers political opinions and religion so dangerous a set of topics that it is rude to ask a person their beliefs on the matter. That is exactly why you only really see this type of stuff on forums, and other online communication methods.

I can sort of understand why people avoid talking about politics.

I have some friends that I don't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable talking about politics with, even though some of them have some radically different views. It's great to be able to discuss your views with someone without the whole thing exploding into a shitstorm, but...

There is also times when I would certainly agree that talking about politics just isn't appropriate. For example, if I'm having lunch with my coworkers, or am attending some formal dinner party somewhere where there's a lot of people I don't know, it's generally best to avoid the subject of politics entirely. It can spoil an otherwise good evening really quickly.

People have a tendency of getting really riled up over this stuff (and I've certainly been guilty of this myself to some degree) so sometimes it's better to avoid it for the sake of maintaining decorum.

Still, I think it's important that we maintain the ability to discuss these things and have a civil debate about certain "hot-button issues," but I think that there's a time and a place for that sort of thing, and that there are some settings where it is best not to bring it up.

People will always find reasons to be offended by something. In the past these people were laughed at, but now because political movements are hoovering them up as potential members they are being encouraged and funded by people such as George Soros and Obama. There is no reasononing with these basically brainwashed people and if you do not oppose them they will walk all over your rights, so opposing them directly is key.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Political Correctness in Society 2015-06-23 23:23:01

At 6/23/15 10:34 PM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 6/23/15 10:30 PM, KevinButtchin wrote:
Lol what? What are you talking alooki? Two wrongs don't make a right. I love American culture.

Disneyland freak show

BBS Signature