00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kkolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique my shirts?

830 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Critique my shirts? 2015-06-22 19:22:36

Here is one I made early today. Just wondering if I could get critiqued on this a little. I was thinking of selling it on teespring or something.

Critique my shirts?

>>> Follow my Instagram: @the_imaginary_boy<<< Buy my MERCH

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-22 20:21:46 (edited 2015-06-22 20:22:13)

At 6/22/15 07:22 PM, tatsumaru7 wrote: Here is one I made early today. Just wondering if I could get critiqued on this a little. I was thinking of selling it on teespring or something.

It's cluttered

Effort spent working on repairing the broken symmetry, inconsistent style, and clinched negative space would in vain. The underlying concept is just not solid enough. With so much stuff competing for attention everything turns into noise. The only thing I made on first glance is "GAMER" in the wack font.

You must design with the medium in mind. The concept behind your design might work on a poster, or somewhere the viewer will have time to look at it more thorough. Unless you awkwardly hold up a t-shirt for someone to inspect, the viewers will generally just have a quick glance at it. With this in mind, the design needs to be simple and striking. A certain awareness of current fashion trends reflected in the design would also be nice, but I don't think it matters much for the target demographic.

My advice is to start over. Boil your idea down to the absolutely core idea. What do you want to say? Is it just about labeling oneself as a gamer? Is it about the quotes? Is it about the pictorial references to games?

As it is now, I wouldn't wear it.

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-22 20:46:24

At 6/22/15 08:21 PM, Havegum wrote:

Thanks for that dude. I understand what you mean when you say its cluttered. Im working on it right now trying to adjust things.

Here is a better image of it. Well the design without the mock up shirt.

Critique my shirts?

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 10:18:10

At 6/22/15 08:46 PM, tatsumaru7 wrote:
At 6/22/15 08:21 PM, Havegum wrote:
Thanks for that dude. I understand what you mean when you say its cluttered. Im working on it right now trying to adjust things.

Here is a better image of it. Well the design without the mock up shirt.

Too many things are going on at once which hinders the entire design, if you cut the image into sections you will notice that you have smaller ideas that could make decent shirt designs by themselves. The problem is more to do with the fact that it looks more like a brainstorm of ideas instead of a finished shirt design. Below shows three ideas that are currently merged into your current one.

- It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
- Trust me i'm a gamer
- But our princess is in another castle!

"Trust me i'm a gamer" works by itself if you just enlarge the text and have that alone on a shirt, only problem is that idea has been done already.

I feel slightly hollow inside.

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 10:22:52

"Trust me i'm a gamer"

This is one of the designs already out there for this idea.

Critique my shirts?

I feel slightly hollow inside.

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 19:50:13

At 6/23/15 10:22 AM, VacantVirtuoso wrote: "Trust me i'm a gamer"

This is one of the designs already out there for this idea.

Yea I have been working on this for a while now. I see what you mean. Its just such a cluttered mess. Im currently working on the "dangerous to go alone" one right now. They all have so much potential. I'm just worried about the copyright law. For instance if I sell these will I get a fine?

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 22:22:31

I focused more on the quotes and spent some serious hours on this and here is what I got.

Critique my shirts?

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 22:36:57

I like the weapon shirt but i dont like those 2 straight lines that separates the weapon. It seems kind of random and unappealing compare to the design of the weapons.

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-23 23:33:25

At 6/23/15 10:22 PM, tatsumaru7 wrote: I focused more on the quotes and spent some serious hours on this and here is what I got.

I still think it's cluttered but at least now there's a clear idea to work towards.
I'd like you to consider the alignment of the silhouettes in relation to each other. There should be some thought to how the negative space and visual weight of the silhouettes shifts the perceived center and edges of the individual elements, and also how the negative space between the elements look. In the image included I extracted the negative space between the silhouettes and rearranged them - notice how much they vary in size.

Perhaps the safest way to approach this is to make it so that the distance between the silhouettes appears uniform. This might break the symmetry you've established, but some asymmetry is going to happen anyway because the shapes aren't identical. I would also consider aligning the silhouettes consistently with either the inward or outward facing side of the circle. It should be noted that not every composition ever needs to be neatly aligned and perfectly centered. However exceptions should be made with a sense of purpose and direction. Since the core composition is circular and symmetrical, I think the next logical step would be to fix alignment.

Another challenge is the inconsistent style. The graphics were designed to fit in to their world, so the style and shape language will naturally differ (compare the bottom sword with the top mallet for instance) - it's also an issue because stuff like Cloud's sword is very disproportionate to the rest of the items and you can tell by the tiny handle compared to the gun right next to it. This is a challenge because it's more difficult for them to look like they belong in the same composition. You can overcome this by drawing the icons out yourself, but otherwise you'll just have to balance it out by eyeballing things.

I'd also just remove the parallel lines. Do they serve any purpose? Is there a reason why there's two, or why they are all just slightly different in length? I'd probably also reconsider the red squares - I'm not sure they add anything to the composition and as a result are just another form of clutter and noise.

Critique my shirts?

BBS Signature

Response to Critique my shirts? 2015-06-24 05:50:10

At 6/23/15 11:33 PM, Havegum wrote:

I went back and did some alignment and tried to work with the negative space. I think this is a lot more better than what I started off with.

Critique my shirts?

BBS Signature