00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mcd410 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why does vote exp reset daily?

750 Views | 22 Replies

Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 16:03:03

ive been using this site since middle school and after a long hiatus i decided to come back and finally make an account and participate in reviewing and voting instead of just playing the games, and im confused as to how this experience system works. I understand that it resets daily and that you can vote on content more than once if you wait for this to reset, but i just dont understand why. tbh i love this community and there is a lot of great stuff here, but sometimes there just arent 5 games a day that actually pique my interest, and i dont think i should be forced to return to old titles just for the vote or play games im not interested in just because i want to get that daily EXP. limiting the exp to 10 per day or w/e is totally fine, allowing multiple votes is totally fine as long as they cant be spammed, but why for the love of god cant the exp scale the same as any other gaming site???

i guess my question is this: i think its good that things can be voted on multiple times as updates happen and games improve, but for what possible reason would the site reset those exp points if ive only voted on 4 titles? i mean all it does is waste my time because i have to go back and vote on those titles i played redundantly in order to make sure im not just randomly casting votes, and im pretty sure that most internet users wouldn't extend the same courtesy.

I would love some kind of an explanation as to why it has to be this way and/ or if there is no rational explanation then i'd love to hear some ideas for rehauls.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 17:00:31

I think the 5 games/vids per day min is to encourage you to explore something new.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 19:18:58

At 6/15/15 04:06 PM, Sekhem wrote: i'm not sure what you mean

you can vote on any entry once per day

after 5 votes, you can deposit and gain 10 experience points

that's it

your old votes don't go away

they contribute to the score of the movie/game/audio based on your voting power

im like 900% confident that when i vote on only 4 in a day and come back the next day my counter starts over, tho. im not saying i think my vote is being removed from the content, im saying that i dont understand why it cant save the tally from the previous day. if that's not whats supposed to happen then im either hallucinating or encountering bugs

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 19:22:45

At 6/15/15 04:36 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote:
At 6/15/15 04:06 PM, Sekhem wrote: voting power
Voting power's a myth; like the legend of Tom once having a beard.

Perhaps it's more accurate to say that voting power is a sweet lie. Something to pacify the masses. Sort of how companies put fake thermostats in the reach of the employees to keep them happy. It's actually just a useless lump of plastic, and the temperature is really controlled by the big wigs.

Also, the close door buttons on elevators don't actually work. There only purpose is to expose you for the asshole you are.

i should hope it's not a myth. i think there are a lot of cool games on here and i hate when the feed is occasionally dominated by flappy bird remakes which inexplicably get higher ratings than the genuinely fun and novel content i come here for, so i'd hate to think any efforts to fix that are futile. furthermore i shouldn't think tom would want to see content like that take over, at any rate.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 20:08:33

The idea is to get users to vote on five new submissions daily.

If you haven't voted on five new submissions, you haven't really earned that 10 XP.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-15 23:38:32

At 6/15/15 08:08 PM, Bit wrote: The idea is to get users to vote on five new submissions daily.

If you haven't voted on five new submissions, you haven't really earned that 10 XP.

i understand that you need to vote on 5 submissions in order to get the xp. sorry if i was not clear, but that wasnt my problem. what im questioning is why, if i only vote on 4 one day, do i not gain anything? shouldn't the previous day's votes be taken into account??

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 00:57:33

At 6/15/15 11:38 PM, MLScherbatov wrote: i understand that you need to vote on 5 submissions in order to get the xp. sorry if i was not clear, but that wasnt my problem. what im questioning is why, if i only vote on 4 one day, do i not gain anything? shouldn't the previous day's votes be taken into account??

The idea is to reward constant (as opposed to sporadic) activity.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 01:25:40

At 6/15/15 04:36 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote:
Also, the close door buttons on elevators don't actually work. There only purpose is to expose you for the asshole you are.

The thruth is out and its time to fight back against the man!

#NippleManOfMilk4mod2015

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 01:38:14

At 6/16/15 12:57 AM, Bit wrote:
At 6/15/15 11:38 PM, MLScherbatov wrote: i understand that you need to vote on 5 submissions in order to get the xp. sorry if i was not clear, but that wasnt my problem. what im questioning is why, if i only vote on 4 one day, do i not gain anything? shouldn't the previous day's votes be taken into account??

But in truth doesn't that reward more spammy activity and punish more thoughtful activity?

Why play through an amazing game that takes hours to truly experience before being able to vote fairly when you can just spam 0s or 5s on everything constantly?

I mean he kind of has a point about this aspect being broken. Truly it should carry over. Not that it matters that much but still.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 03:55:53

I actually heard that they might change this and make your votes on each individual movie or games permanent, as in you can't vote again in 24 hours. At least if I recall correctly.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 04:13:08

At 6/16/15 03:55 AM, Jay wrote: I actually heard that they might change this and make your votes on each individual movie or games permanent, as in you can't vote again in 24 hours. At least if I recall correctly.

If they do that, I won't be able to give all my 5 to CI: Unregulated every day in an effort to bring it up to 5 stars anymore :'(

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 09:55:28

At 6/16/15 01:38 AM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 6/16/15 12:57 AM, Bit wrote:
But in truth doesn't that reward more spammy activity and punish more thoughtful activity?

How? How does voting on at least 5 submissions "reward spammy activity and punish thoughtful activity"? Does it seriously take more than TWENTY FOUR HOURS to play through or watch 5 submissions and make a decision about how you feel about that submission based on what you watched? Because that makes zero fucking sense and you are clearly taking too damn long to make a thought based on what you were doing. And voting on any more submissions than 5 doesn't give you anything else unless you're voting on UJ flashes to get b/p points. You're just "putting in extra effort" or whatever. And that isn't even effort. You're just sitting there watching/playing a movie or game. I highly HIGHLY doubt any movie on here is going to take literally HOURS to watch and make you sit for god knows how long before you make a decision as to what you're going to vote on it.

Hell. OP. Just go into the damn portal and go through the under judgement stuff or the "top" movies/videos. I guarantee you will find AT LEAST 5 submissions to vote on every day.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 11:25:18

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current EXP system we have right now, what's the big deal anyway?

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 12:31:00

tl;dr: you must vote on five different submissions in a single day to get 10 experience points. otherwise, you won't get any.

this should be clear enough for you.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 12:43:38

Your question really isn't clear. What you're asking for, I believe, is why can't you deposit the exp if you do not cast at least 5 votes in one day.

And I'm not quite sure why it is that way. Maybe it's for the admins to keep it all clean and tidy and only have users's experience numbers that finish with zeros. Or maybe, it's to encourage people to look up new material.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 12:54:11

Well if you are asking why it needs to be that way, no one can answer it except possibly the admins themselves.
I can invent a few "explanations" but I don't think it will solve this question.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 14:02:28

At 6/15/15 07:44 PM, SansNumbers wrote: At 6/15/15 04:03 PM, MLScherbatov wrote:
but sometimes there just arent 5 games a day that actually pique my interest, and i dont think i should be forced to return to old titles just for the vote or play games im not interested in just because i want to get that daily EXP
So don't feel like it's necessary to participate in the EXP system. I've been at level 6 for well over four years.

Exactly, I got to level 22 and I think it looks the best of the next 10-20 levels afterwards so I decided to keep at level 22 for aesthetic purposes. With this system as it currently stands needing 5 votes per day it allows me to still vote on content and help to get stuff approved or declined if I need to while making sure I don't level myself up and lose the sweet cutlass.

Let's face it, 24 hours to vote on 5 things (especially since they don't even need to be under-judgement) is really not an intensive demand for your reward of experience and levels. Even though I am against voting on stuff you have voted on before, if you hit 4/5 and it is nearing the end of the day you can always just toss the final vote onto something you know is worth a 1/2/3/4/5 already. Just don't do this constantly since that can fuck up statistics and is frowned upon, the whole "0 / 5 bombing" thing isn't good, k?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 16:00:23

At 6/15/15 07:22 PM, MLScherbatov wrote: i think there are a lot of cool games on here and i hate when the feed is occasionally dominated by flappy bird remakes which inexplicably get higher ratings than the genuinely fun and novel content i come here for

Here's a tip, don't play/watch submissions that you like only, if you see a game you think you won't like then click it, play it, if you disliked it rate it accordingly and hopefully it will be blammed.
I don't like at least 1/3 of the games i've played yet i've voted on all of them, same thing with the movies.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 16:03:57

At 6/16/15 03:55 AM, Jay wrote: I actually heard that they might change this and make your votes on each individual movie or games permanent, as in you can't vote again in 24 hours. At least if I recall correctly.

That would be a good idea me thinks. Users actually have to contribute if they want to gain exp.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 19:30:56

It just works that way.

It's been working that way for almost 20 years.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 20:49:34

At 6/16/15 09:55 AM, Viper wrote: How? How does voting on at least 5 submissions "reward spammy activity and punish thoughtful activity"? Does it seriously take more than TWENTY FOUR HOURS to play through or watch 5 submissions and make a decision about how you feel about that submission based on what you watched?

Not more than 24 hours, no, but it might take a few hours, and someone who is thoughtfully contributing a handful of votes daily has more honest input than someone just spamming to get their daily 5's. And yes it's quite easy to spam by just going to random submissions and just either 0 or 5 without even watching/playing/whatever.

If you're watching movies, probably not so much a problem, but if you're playing games, yes it can take hours to adequately experience and fairly rate some games, and a lazy person putting in an early score is likely not voting based on the entire game experience but maybe just level 1 pissed them off even though the game as a whole is amazing or etc... Or maybe they're just stupid and can't figure out the game mechanic. Or maybe they just suck at video games and rate anything hard with a low score. There are several great games with low scores due to stupid gamers.

So, yes, OP does have a legitimate point. Though again you can get around this by just being a bit spammy yourself, to meet the daily quota.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-16 20:56:32

That's going to screw up pimp's script big time.

He's going to show up on the BBS one day, outraged that he missed a whole week's worth of experience due to the voting overhaul.

Response to Why does vote exp reset daily? 2015-06-17 20:07:15

At 6/16/15 08:49 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 6/16/15 09:55 AM, Viper wrote: How? How does voting on at least 5 submissions "reward spammy activity and punish thoughtful activity"? Does it seriously take more than TWENTY FOUR HOURS to play through or watch 5 submissions and make a decision about how you feel about that submission based on what you watched?
Not more than 24 hours, no, but it might take a few hours

Actually I take that back. It very well can take over 24 hours. There are several games which can easily take more than 24 hours to complete. Merely play a single one of those games prior to having played/voted on at least 5 games and any votes that day are forfeit.

Everything else I wrote is accurate aside from the one revision that I am indeed claiming it can take more than 24 hours.

Although yes it's also the case you don't typically use all 24 hours gaming as you also have other things to do ... so even a game that takes 5 hours to beat may take you over a day due to other activities/etc... You don't *just* use all 24 hours of your day gaming. That'd be highly unusual.

It's particularly the case with "questy" kinds of games and games that are of particularly high quality they can take quite a long time to get through. Not every game are these cheap "Hey look I made my first game!" kinds of games you know.