00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fear of Death?

2,119 Views | 27 Replies

Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 10:16:36

Sup dudes. Got a question for your ass(es).

Would you be less afraid of death if you knew that you will die peacefully in your sleep? You wouldn't necessarily need to know when you're going to die -- but would knowing that there would be no pain bring about any comfort?

For those of you who aren't afraid of death: why not? Enlighten us.

I'm just bored and curious what kind of response this question would get. Personally, death doesn't really mean all that much. Seasons don't fear the reaper, after all.

Thank you in advance for your well thought out responses and intellectual engagement.

Click here and we'll become good friends.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 10:26:48

I wouldn't fear enduring a painful death knowing I'd die peacefully in my sleep, but I certainly wouldn't be thrilled to die, either.

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 10:35:22

I'm not afraid of death. It's the moments leading up to it that scare the crap out of me. Life is exponentially scarier than death.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 10:43:01

At 6/14/15 10:16 AM, Seasons wrote:

:Seasons don't fear the reaper, after all.

Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain... we can be like they are
Come on baby... don't fear the reaper

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 10:47:07

Yeah, I probably would. I assume dying from natural causes wouldn't be that bad. Then again, a slow death from some kind of cancer would probably be unpleasant, so yes, I would like to die in my sleep. Not dying in a dream, of course.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:02:00

At 6/14/15 10:16 AM, Seasons wrote: Sup dudes. Got a question for your ass(es).

Would you be less afraid of death if you knew that you will die peacefully in your sleep? You wouldn't necessarily need to know when you're going to die -- but would knowing that there would be no pain bring about any comfort?

no. fucking. comfort. at all.
I want a warrior's death.

For those of you who aren't afraid of death: why not? Enlighten us.

Here's the way I see it:
I was born in 1989. Before that, I didn't exist. And there was about 13.6 billion years (i said 13.6 instead of 13.7 as if my life was long enough to make some kind of impact, lel) of uninterrupted universe going on.

Where was I then?

I don't know. Doesn't really seem like it was ever a big deal when I think about it. And why this point in time? Out of all those years to exist, WHY NOW.

It'll all work out. I may not understand existence as a human but i'm pretty sure I'll be alright.

I'm just bored and curious what kind of response this question would get. Personally, death doesn't really mean all that much. Seasons don't fear the reaper, after all.

You don't know that. seasons die all the time, and who's to say a season one year is the same season the next? no two summers have exactly the same highs and lows for 3 months straight. and even though we got snow last year, we might not get hardly any this year.
seems like the end is always nigh for a season.

Thank you in advance for your well thought out responses and intellectual engagement.

fgsfds.

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:08:18

I probably don't truly fear death, rather I fear that I will die without accomplishing everything I want to do. I'd prefer a death too swift for me to feel the pain, but then again, only a masochist wouldn't.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:22:16

I'm more afraid of the boredom and the nothingness i'll have to endure after i die, this is where Heaven and Hell really get interesting to me, i'd rather burn in the depths of Hell than do nothing for all eternity.
Knowing i'd die in my sleep would possibly make me feel better, at least i'd know more or less when it's coming but it would make me nervous of going to sleep.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:25:49 (edited 2015-06-14 11:26:13)

A peaceful death I don't expect scares a lot more than a painful death while I have my senses. Hell, it's my final moments I don't even care, life is about feeling and pain can be the most intense feeling.
Whenever I hear the average man saying "I don't fear death" I'm skeptic about it. I think it takes either great, or at least "enough", experiences for someone to not fear death( "I have lived my life") or horrible ones, in which case you embrace it. If you don't fall under these two categories and continue to think you are brave enough to not fear death, you are not brave, you are a lunatic(or a liar or naive, but I don't care to analyze those).
Fear of death is the most natural and logical fear. Personally, I think a great amount of people have turned to religion solely because of this fear. Death is that thing you know is going to happen and you can't do anything to avoid, only delay it.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:30:53

What happens after dying is just as interesting.

Too bad I'll miss it.

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:38:48

I'd be more comfortable knowing if there was actually an afterlife or not.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:43:19

Can I just get a lethal dose of morphine instead?

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 11:44:31

I'm not afraid of death because ive been very close to dying more than once
if it's a painful death or not you get to die anyway right?

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 12:14:51

I'd be exited.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 13:19:30

I'm not sure if I'm afraid of death itself, I'm more afraid of the pain, the way it happens and when.

The idea of just falling asleep and never waking up sounds nice, but if I put more thought in it, that's not the way I want to die. I'd like it to be a moment where I don't exactly feel pain, but can still realize that it's happening, a natural death at old age.

The only thing that would truly comfort me in death is if I knew what happens next. Do you just one day wake up as another person, without a single memory of the old you and carry on life as a new human or animal?

Or will you just fall into darkness, will it feel like you'd be sleeping without actually dreaming, is it all just black, like if you'd close your eyes?

Seriously, I think the most scary thing about death is that you don't know what comes after it.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 13:37:34

I don't really mind if I live or die. I've been indifferent for a while now.
Wouldn't kill myself, but wouldn't be too bothered if my time was up.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 13:42:59

I'm ready to die anytime. I'd rather die than to live suffering.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 13:51:06

At 6/14/15 01:37 PM, TOXlCITY wrote: I don't really mind if I live or die. I've been indifferent for a while now.
Wouldn't kill myself, but wouldn't be too bothered if my time was up.

I don't have a fear of death because Belief is essential for me.

But I do fear dying.

Being hooked up podded and probed with needles and equipment. That is no way to live while you are living.

I would rather not wake up from a dream then having needles and equipment hooked up to me while I lie there about to die.

This is just me anyway (=

If you are not playing the game, then you are letting the game play you. Twitter: @Hypnotikid

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 13:59:18

I've thought of death a few different ways.

I imagine the event itself to be rather unpleasant while conscious. What tethers us to time? How and why do we perceive the process of entropy at a consistent, linear rate? Would our conscious selves be derailed from this track by the experience of death?

I had a really bad trip once. I ceased to experience time in a linear way, and my perception of it dilated asymptotally towards infinity. To an observer the process would only have lasted for the duration of my 6 hour high, but to me it approached eternity. I was locked into a moment which played out in a trillion different ways simultaneously as it gradually deconstructed itself to nothingness. All the while my conscious view of it regressed as I myself was deconstructed, universal entropy stripping me of the self I'd cultivated throughout my lifetime. Lots of interesting shit happened in my brain and I was fucking terrified the entire time. (I wrote about the experience in detail and I'd be happy to share it privately if it piques your interest.)

I expect that to be what occurs during death. The only reason I reached an end to the experience was because the trip itself was finite, but if death is absolute and consciousness clings as desperately to existence as mine did during those few hours, eschewing its previously linear track through time, then I believe I'm absolutely within my rights to fear it.

Alternatively, I've looked at death as the ultimate motivator. The key to meeting it gracefully is living up to your potential in the time you have. You don't want the reaper to find you cowering in fear, stinking of regret for the things you wish you had done in life. Instead, if you've done all you know you were capable of, you may greet death with a serene smile.

Perhaps my consciousness clung so desperately to itself because it wasn't ready to be let go. Maybe meeting death at the end of a fulfilling life would be different: less like feeling flushed down with the sewage and more like reaching the ocean at the mouth of a great river, free to drift apart forever.

Your question about dying while asleep makes me wonder. Is that endless moment at the end of one's last breath an entity that can only manifest in wakefulness, or would it indiscriminately invade the realm of dreams? If that moment can find your mind no matter where it hides, then it probably wouldn't matter whether your eyes were open or closed when it seized you.

Anyway I'm more careful around drugs now.

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 14:47:18

I don't fear death, I just fear a painful death. Dying in your sleep would be a blessing, when I'm old one day.

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 17:51:33

I think I would feel worse because it would mean my death was determined and outside of my control.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 17:53:29

I'm not afraid of death at all. I fucking welcome it.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 18:39:58

I make an effort to think the bare minimum about it. I know it's there and waiting, but that's all I care to know.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-14 19:37:40 (edited 2015-06-14 19:40:18)

Everything is temporary and death is no different. I wasn't scared to be born, so why should I be afraid to die ?

It's just the next step in the eternal life cycle

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-16 00:11:36

i know its gonna happen eventually, so i dont really have a "fear" of it.
it all depends on how it happens or how soon. but regardless i try not to think about it. just enjoy your life

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-21 09:55:50

It's been a week since I was told my grandfather would die very soon and it still has yet to happen. I admit that it's really frustrating just listening to this, because while I've learned not to think about it, it does bring this feeling of doom to me.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-21 14:29:40

When I die I will finally know the one and true religion. What's the down side of finally finding out the solution to solve the comment section?

BBS Signature

Response to Fear of Death? 2015-06-28 09:23:06

I just wanted to bring you all an update and tell you that my grandfather has passed away. I admit that since he lived to the ripe age of 89, I felt like he lived a full life and am so glad he was able to be such a big part of mine while he was around.