00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you exploit game bugs?

905 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I do.

Donkey Kong (Apple II version) - spring level:
I would stand under the falling springs until they pounded me through the floor. Then I would fall through the top of the level and rescue the girl.

Diablo (original):
During online multiplayer, someone taught me this trick where if you drop an item and pick it up quickly you can duplicate it.

Command & Conquer (original):
While playing the GDI campaign, I discovered that enemies do not attack walls and just target the units and buildings behind them. During the campaign, I built sandbag barriers to keep enemies away from my base, and away from the Tiberium as well.

Maplestory:
One time the clipping was broken (monsters wouldn't hit me) so I used the opportunity to complete a jump quest where moving balls would normally knock you off.

So tell me; what bugs have you exploited during your entire gaming career?

Edit:
Age of Empires II (original non-HD version):
After busting through the gates of the Great Wall of China and building my own, I discovered that the enemy didn't attack my gates. I would use gates to wall off my enemy at narrow points.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-13 17:40:19

At 6/13/15 05:12 PM, Painbringer wrote: I do.

I stopped using bugs and cheats after I realized that they were ruining the game experience. I just get bored easily after it. There could probably be some sort of philosophical discussion brought about from this, I think; the idea of becoming so bored of having an extreme advantage over other users or having "god mode" turned on.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-13 19:30:23

At 6/13/15 05:12 PM, Painbringer wrote: Diablo (original):
During online multiplayer, someone taught me this trick where if you drop an item and pick it up quickly you can duplicate it.

They always seemed to have that problem in the Diablo games.

Command & Conquer (original):
While playing the GDI campaign, I discovered that enemies do not attack walls and just target the units and buildings behind them. During the campaign, I built sandbag barriers to keep enemies away from my base, and away from the Tiberium as well.

During the final mission of the Firestorm expansion to Tiberium Sun when Cabal gets in his big mech and starts advancing, I used invisibility area tanks to hide my entire base and army except for a single thing I placed on a small piece of land over the bridge nearby the starting base area. Cabal's AI was easily tricked to going after this single visible target and once he was over the bridge I destroyed the bridge and he was stuck on the other side. From there on I just bombarded him out of his range and after a while I won the game.

I count that as an exploit, but since they actually gave you that piece of land over a bridge where you started the map on a map which is all about killing a single powerful enemy....I can't say they didn't give a perfect situation to abuse to the fullest.

Maplestory:
One time the clipping was broken (monsters wouldn't hit me) so I used the opportunity to complete a jump quest where moving balls would normally knock you off.

ha, World of Warcraft...so full of such bugs to exploit the fuck out of the game. Never once felt bad about it since a game as old as that without correcting the base problems that existed since day 1 really has no right to defend itself.

So tell me; what bugs have you exploited during your entire gaming career?

I have no qualms exploiting the fuck out of games which deserve it. I'm currently playing through Heroes of Might and Magic V again for an LP currently and the game has so many problems and bullshit difficulty not from actual challenge but from the way the game can fuck you over due to being so poorly designed. That I gladly exploit the fuck out of the game. The main thing I do is go and find the Tear of Asha (the grail which gives 5k gold per turn more troops and other benefits) without finding the treasure map obelisks to locate it. How do I do this? Because they can't program randomness into the game and all the grails have like 1-2 possible places they can spawn and since I've already played the game before I know exactly where they are. If the game can't program random placements then I have no qualms taking it when I know it is there.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

In Jak II and Jak 3, if you shoot while spinning in the air, the bullets would always hit an enemy. The attack itself is not a bug but I think the 100% accuracy was. It was extremely helpful because you couldn't aim in those games.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-13 22:11:20

I use the mine bug in Fire Emblem to train Nino in chapter 26x whenever I want to use her because it's a pain in the ass to train her normally. She joins unpromoted and level 5 near endgame.

I never bothered looking for game bugs,i'm more busy trying to not rush through the games I play it seems like a waste of time otherwise

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 00:12:04

I'm exploiting bugs right now. Playing FFVI and using revivify on undead creatures for an instant kill and using the Vanish/Doom technique on the Dragon. Also keeping my characters vanished so physical attacks can't hurt them. Using this I'm getting my characters from level 7-8 to 40 in no time.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 08:45:46

If i'm having some difficulty and the bug helps me then yes.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 08:58:50

Depends on the bug and how I go about exploiting it. For instance, there's a glitch in Need for Speed: World to get into free roam from the stadium meeting place event by resetting your car when it's up against a certain part of the wall. This glitch doesn't impact gameplay for anyone outside of the event, and can be used to enter a free roam state with friends with collisions turned on (in normal free-roam mode, cars clip through each other.) This opens up entire new gameplay opportunities that are not officially in the game, such as PVP police pursuits for example.

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 09:47:14

can't imagine playing vice city without exploiting bugs

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 15:03:28

I remember getting too carried away with Oblivion's item replication exploit. There was also a glitch in the Operation Anchorage dlc for Fallout 3 where you could keep all the stuff you got after leaving the simulation. Using that, you got a ridiculously durable gauss rifle and shock sword. I don't think I ever stopped using those.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 17:46:29

If it's a multiplayer glitch/exploit, then no. I do sometimes use glitches/exploits in single player games. For example, I did do the "easy 99 multiplayer games" exploit in Super Smash Bros Melee in order to unlock MewTwo.

Ever since I accidentally discovered it, I also used the "swim through the ceiling in the sewers of Blackwater City" in the original Ratchet and Clank since I couldn't get past that part before the entire sewer filled with water.

I can get through that part now, so I don't intentionally do it any more

And yes, I also used the Black Briar Meadery speech raise and the Oghma Infinium exploits in Skyrim before they were patched in.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 21:31:41

Okay, I don't know if you would consider it a true bug or not but I've got a few weird ones. Back when I was young, I had an NES that had internal electrical damage that made games flat out glitchy when you played them. In addition to this, I also had a few cartridges that had some damage that made things even more interesting. Here's a few of the good ol' bugs and glitches I've encountered.

Blaster Master- For some reason, my character would just float all over the screen. This meant that I could go places without getting the hover module for the tank which made things fun. I had gone into the first cave when I encountered the final boss battle of the game. He didn't attack and I just kept shooting him. (In normal game mode I do use the grenade bug to beat bosses fast.)

Dragon Warrior- Another weird one. Sometimes When I input certain names, the game started out pre-beaten. Names that I used- Goku, Loto, Cris (My name shortened) and once used just aaaa and it again had the game pre-beaten.

Final fantasy- This one I accidentally damaged on my own. the cartridge got wet when i was cleaning. It was pretty neat what happened. My characters could walk on water, go through walls and people and a lot of times when a random battle began, no enemies ever showed up and I just got experience. There were some issues with this though, story battles, like the ones against Garland, Lich, & Bikke and the pirates didn't register as happening, but you didn't need it to, as you get the ship from bikke and when you beat garland a bridge is built.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 21:47:42

The only one I can recall was in Fallout. When I was facing the Master I saved my game, but I found that in doing so, it stopped an onslaught of enemies that were supposed to chase after me. I forgot the specific details but I think saving during that fight resets some enemy positions.

But honestly I prefer to play them as intended. More satisfying in the end that way.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-14 23:58:22

of course especially ones involving leveling up in rpgs.

Response to Do you exploit game bugs? 2015-06-15 08:30:09

definitely