00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Demons Souls VS Dark Souls

1,118 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-08 17:27:31

Hey, I have a question for all you fans of the "souls" series. (including Bloodborne)
I'm looking to get into the series after watching a friend of mine play it for about an hour. I know about the series brutal difficulty, and I love it. As a fan of retro games, I love a good challenge. But I haven't really found a good source on which game in the series to begin with?
So, I ask of you:
Which game is best for someone getting into the series? Demons Souls OR Dark Souls?

THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 06:27:59

I haven't played demon souls but I would say that Dark Souls or Dark Souls 2 is the better to starts with.

Dark Souls 2 is easier to get into, but Dark Souls is better designed in many ways but in general you will get the same "wtf how the fuck was I supposed to beat that" and "wtf I just fucking beat that, I'm awesome!" feeling from all games in the souls series.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 09:46:54

I personally started with Dark Souls 1, but if I could I would've started with Demons Souls.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 11:20:18

At 6/9/15 06:27 AM, Mismo wrote: Dark Souls 2 is easier to get into, but Dark Souls is better designed in many ways but in general you will get the same "wtf how the fuck was I supposed to beat that" and "wtf I just fucking beat that, I'm awesome!" feeling from all games in the souls series.

Cool. thanks for the info!

THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 12:56:19

Apparently demon souls is bullshit with removing your maximum health as a punishment if you die. At least in the other gamers you only lose your souls and humanity and don't just get an arbitrary punishment to fuck you over and make it even harder until you collect your body.

Whether it is a huge punishment or not I wouldn't know, as just the fact it exists makes me say fuck you to the game and ignore it. I stopped playing Dark Souls when they arbitrarily killed off the two characters I liked because of bullshit you can't possibly know about ahead of time then blame the deaths on me. Fuck you game, not finishing you.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 15:44:44

I would go with Dark Souls. Demon Souls is about as close to a broken game as you can get and considering that when you die in the game, you lose half your health and other inventory, which makes the game repetitive at best and unplayable at worst. The sad thing is that there were a contingent of folks who considered it Game of the Year for 2009, which was fucking stupid on so many levels, it's insulting. About the only folks who'll enjoy that game are Western try-hards, considering that even Japanese players hated this game.

A challenge is one thing, but Atlus and From Software were simply showing off how hard they can be, That's something I can not respect, and it's a good thing that they learned from this.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 16:44:00

Wow so how many people in here have actually played the damn game?

It's fine. I love it, in fact. I've played all the entries in the series and there is certainly nothing wrong with it's " punishment system ". In fact, the more you die in the game, the easier it gets. There's a system where you die in human form and revert to a sort of " spirit form " where yes, you do lose a small fraction of your health. However if you keep dying in spirit form, the game senses it and enemies become easier and drop more health items and such. And when in human form, the more bosses you kill without dying, the harder the game becomes.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-09 22:21:22

I think Dark Souls might be easier to start with but I'm only saying this because your maximum health isn't decreased when you die. It's harder than Demon's Souls though.

At 6/9/15 03:44 PM, orangebomb wrote: I would go with Dark Souls. Demon Souls is about as close to a broken game as you can get and considering that when you die in the game, you lose half your health and other inventory, which makes the game repetitive at best and unplayable at worst. The sad thing is that there were a contingent of folks who considered it Game of the Year for 2009, which was fucking stupid on so many levels, it's insulting. About the only folks who'll enjoy that game are Western try-hards, considering that even Japanese players hated this game.

Yeah man shame on other people for having opinions that differ from your own. That's sad and fucking stupid on so many levels that its insulting.

just an idea of how fucking autistic you sound.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-10 00:23:13

At 6/9/15 11:48 PM, Raab wrote: Yeah man shame on other people for having opinions that differ from your own. That's sad and fucking stupid on so many levels that its insulting.

Really? How dare I share my opinion here of a game that was overhyped game with crappy mechanics that you would normally associate with low quality shovelware. Since when did I insult anybody over this game in this thread? Please refrain for de-railing threads because someone has a different opinion from yours. Or did I struck a nerve with you and this is how you respond?

If you're going to insult me like a child, then take it up on the PM.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-10 00:34:08

At 6/10/15 12:23 AM, orangebomb wrote:
At 6/9/15 11:48 PM, Raab wrote: Yeah man shame on other people for having opinions that differ from your own. That's sad and fucking stupid on so many levels that its insulting.
Really? How dare I share my opinion here of a game that was overhyped game with crappy mechanics that you would normally associate with low quality shovelware. Since when did I insult anybody over this game in this thread? Please refrain for de-railing threads because someone has a different opinion from yours. Or did I struck a nerve with you and this is how you respond?

If you're going to insult me like a child, then take it up on the PM.

Nah... I'd much rather put you on blast in front of everyone.

If I did it in PM's you might not ever learn your lesson, and it would be much less fun.

(Plus I wouldn't get any fanmail)

You should try not being such an angsty piece of shit all the time.

...and maybe..... just maybe... give a shot... a feeble attempt, even.....to be a little more tolerant of the other people in the world who don't share the same opinions as you.

I've literally had disagreements with you in the past over shit where you assume your opinion is law, and get so many PM's from strangers talking trash about you its hilarious.

I just thought you should know how much of a piece of shit you are.

Demons Souls VS Dark Souls

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-11 15:31:21

At 6/9/15 12:56 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Apparently demon souls is bullshit with removing your maximum health as a punishment if you die. At least in the other gamers you only lose your souls and humanity and don't just get an arbitrary punishment to fuck you over and make it even harder until you collect your body.

Dark Souls 2 also punishes you by halving your HP when you die - it's intended as incentive to stop getting yourself killed and to be more cautious of your footing as the Souls series is more often than not very fair about where it places its enemies - it just depends on how cautious you are of your surroundings. it's very much the player's own fault if they die (with the exception of Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1 which was a rushed location due to strict deadlines).

wow haha ok there bud

My Music : Last.fm : My GoodReads : My Film Collection

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-11 15:52:51

I'd say that Demon's Souls is a better introductory game. Yeah, you lose half your max health as a spirit, which sucks (unless you find the ring that increases the spirit max), but the levels and worlds are much more disconnected from each other, making it less confusing on where to go next. However, if your looking for a much more open-world game with interconnected levels, Dark Souls 1 or 2 is for you. I've personally played Dark Souls 1, my brother played Dark Souls 2. They're both good, but I think I'd prefer 1 over 2. Haven't played Bloodborne myself, so I can't give you a fair opinion on that.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-12 11:20:27

I have only played the Dark Souls games, so my opinion is very biased...

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-12 17:56:28

demon's is great if you want to get fucvkin SCRAPING SPEAR'D

Haha check this out, now Reddit is hip to this hot new viral meme

 ▲      

▲ ▲ WHY ISN'T MY SIGNATURE TRANSPARENT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BBS Signature

Response to Demons Souls VS Dark Souls 2015-06-13 14:14:44

Demon's Souls is only for PS3 which is a bit awful if you don't have the console in question. Other than that, just pick a game and play.