00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for a good samaritan!

509 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 20:49:20

Greetings artists of newgrounds!

Browsing the art here, i find myself amazed by the fact so many of you posess true talent. Every one has their own unique style, that's not to say one style is better than the other. Like all beauty, its beauty in its own way.

I myself am a quite talented programmer. I have been working on a 3d, web based, game engine for the past year and a half. And after 2 refactors, a few gallons of coffee and a whole lot of ibuprofen, i feel confident to say i have coded a stable framework to build a game on.
However an entire game requires more than just a coder. And everyone has bills to pay. To work around this problem i'd like to start a kickstarter campaign, however without any artwork to show, i fear the chances of failure are only greater.

This is why i call unto you. If the prelude inspires you, please help me out.

"Entropy... Everything will eventually be gone. For the human race it was irony causing their downfall. Medicine of all things. With the birth of nanotechnology nearly every problem with the human body could be corrected. This quickly led to overpopulation.
In the year 2142, as an attempt to find other inhabitable planets the first lifeships were constructed. Complete cities in space, unreachable for most of us. If you had money, you got a spot. If you didn't, you were just poor enough to be left on earth to choke on the fumes of the first digsites. The largest the world had ever seen. Looking back, I find myself wishing the camps were still that small.
The assumption we were alone in the universe quickly got disproven after the first gate got constructed. It began with a few scouts but quickly we got invaded. Not long after the wars ended, leaving earths population devastated, what little remained of governments formed an alliance together, calling themselves the commonwealth. They started to mine anything they could get their hands on. Leaving the rest of us to live in a desolate wasteland.
Earth has transformed in a giant mining pit, some brave souls try their luck on the scrapyards. Selling the parts or building a ship of their own. Others put their faith in the arena. A ruthless cagefight with often death as a result. Very few have managed to steal a ship from the commonwealth, but are being hunted like wild animals.
Anything to get off this godforsaken rock."

Unfortunately i cant pay anyone just yet. if my project makes it to funding i can, but as mentioned before, the possibility of getting funded deminishes rapidly without artwork.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 21:47:52

I just thought of something i CAN give anyone in return. i can code, so this is what i can do for you. Webdevelopment is my area of expertise, and i have quite a bit experience with webGL, meaning 3d is most certainly among the possibilities.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 22:36:22

Alright, so what exactly are you looking for? I can make some assumptions based on your synopsis, but how many drawings do you think would be necessary? How many characters, how many environments, how many vehicles/machinery. What's the scope of this game's narrative and gameplay, what type of game is this, do you want a UI design as well as the concept art? Also are you looking for some one off illustrations for the kickstarter campaign or are you looking for a longer standing partnership of sorts?
You should factor the artist's payment into the kickstarter funding as well, at least that way should you succeed you'll be able to pay any good Samaritan who may lend you a hand on this. You're potentially asking for a lot, the more information you can provide upfront the better.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 23:05:14

For now it's all just to convey parts of the story to potential backers, i'd prefer mostly scenery for now, anything you're willing to do, i'd be eternally grateful for.

How many drawings you do is entirely up to you though i wouldnt go overboard with it, since there is never a guarantee i get funded, even with great artwork.

Here are a few options (again, any one of these would already make me more than happy):
A scene on earth as one giant mining camp, maybe some heavy miners walking or driving around.
A scene of a space ship junkyard, components, broken space ships and piles of junk everywhere.
A scene in space, of "Station Ark", the oldest and biggest space station still floating near earth.
Space ships of any kind, be it a fighter, transporter battleship or even carrier.

Should the campaign reach the funded stage, i will probably need more concept art, and i'm aware a lot of artwork is required. However, at this point i will have the funds to pay you for more work. Your trust now will also most certainly not be forgotten.

I hope i'm clear enough about what i want, honestly, i've seen what true talent can do and i dont want to put too many restrictions on what to draw and how to draw it.

What can i do for you in return?

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 23:19:07

At 6/3/15 09:47 PM, nova1 wrote: I just thought of something i CAN give anyone in return. i can code, so this is what i can do for you. Webdevelopment is my area of expertise, and i have quite a bit experience with webGL, meaning 3d is most certainly among the possibilities.

As of now I've neen looking for a opportunity like this one. No programmer with which I have worked with could assure me a finished product. I would gladly help you. I can't 3d sculpt, but I can provide you with design and concept art. Check my stuff out if you want.

Money is not an issue. As you are not getting paid yourself. It would be unfair for me to recieve money. If we are going to collaborate, I think the payment should be based on the success of the game.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-03 23:46:11

At 6/3/15 11:19 PM, Anarakeshi wrote: Money is not an issue. As you are not getting paid yourself. It would be unfair for me to recieve money. If we are going to collaborate, I think the payment should be based on the success of the game.

We can agree on this! I've taken a look at your artwork, and i like it!

Please let me know if there is anything i can do for you, be it via PM or forum.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-04 12:21:06

Unfortunately i cant pay anyone just yet. if my project makes it to funding i can, but as mentioned before, the possibility of getting funded deminishes rapidly without artwork.

I'm not sure if you have made or released games in the past, but I would not recommend starting a kickstarter without making any games prior to both practise and get your name out there. Just get an artist who's willing to collaborate. Don't try to kickstart your FIRST game.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-04 16:49:37

I'm not sure if you have made or released games in the past, but I would not recommend starting a kickstarter without making any games prior to both practise and get your name out there. Just get an artist who's willing to collaborate. Don't try to kickstart your FIRST game.

This is a good point. I don't think it's 100% necessary but, it does help quiet a bit.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-04 17:34:06

At 6/4/15 12:21 PM, Justalp wrote:

Well there lies the problem. No one works for free. everyone has bills to pay. For a 'simple' flash game making it with one or two people is fairly doable. however i'm working in 3d. which requires a whole lot more hours.

As to this being my first game, no. its not the first game i code, however, it is the first game i will release.

Response to Looking for a good samaritan! 2015-06-05 05:04:27

This sounds exactly like something that would fit me! I'm juggling with a lot of balls in the air at the moment but at my next sketching occasion I'll see If I can make some sort of early concept. Have it as it is, I'm just doing this because It's fun! :)