00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sk8er-Gaius15 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What can i use to make music?

1,019 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What can i use to make music? 2015-05-24 09:04:20

No download, No viruses, just something easy to use.

Response to What can i use to make music? 2015-05-24 09:29:51

At 5/24/15 09:04 AM, SmileyShoes2 wrote: No download, No viruses, just something easy to use.

Sorry but if you want anyone to help you then at least take the time to explain what you want ... your question makes no sense.

BBS Signature

At 5/24/15 09:29 AM, SoundChris wrote:
At 5/24/15 09:04 AM, SmileyShoes2 wrote: No download, No viruses, just something easy to use.
Sorry but if you want anyone to help you then at least take the time to explain what you want ... your question makes no sense.

Is there anything to make music that you would prefer for starters? Is what I'm asking.

Response to What can i use to make music? 2015-05-24 09:38:38

If you want to make music, you're going to have to download something, and chances are that if it's worth anything it won't be easy to use.

What you probably want, if you want to make music, is what's called a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). Examples include FL Studio, Cubase, Logic, Reason, Pro Tools, and so on. These all cost money, but a lot of them have free demos to try out. For instance, FL Studio's demo allows you to access full functionality permanently, with the only exception being that you can't save project files.

There are free alternatives out there which get the job done but may not be necessarily as good/popular/widely-supported, like Mu.Lab and LMMS. Personally, I use FL Studio and I love it. I think it's the best bang for your buck since it's relatively very cheap (the version that comes with full functionality costs around $200) and it comes with lifetime free updates.

Don't bother looking into those $2 mobile apps for making music, or free online music makers that don't require a download. Those are fine for messing around on, but they often don't support actual composition, and instead only allow you to combine premade loops together (which is unoriginal and isn't even allowed here on Newgrounds). They're never worth it if you want to get serious with your music.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to What can i use to make music? 2015-05-24 10:39:48

At 5/24/15 09:36 AM, SmileyShoes2 wrote:
Is there anything to make music that you would prefer for starters? Is what I'm asking.

Well it depends on what system you are using and what exactly you want to do. In general most DAWs (digital audio workstations) offer similar features. Some are stronger for midi editing (apple logic pro, steinberg cubase and nuendo, digital performer) while other programs are better for audio handling (especially avid pro tools). Others again are good if you want to perform live (ableton live). None of these programs is bad. They all offer the basic features. Many people here on NG use FL Studio.

What you take depends on what you understand by "making music". I compose with my machine and virtual instruments - i compose and edit music. Others record their guitar / band / vocal / whatever performances and want to use the program to record, mix and master. So - it depends.

BBS Signature

No download...

<OS Brand> Sound Recorder and an instrument of your choice?

(I got started composing with PowerTab because I played guitar, though I had issues getting it to run on Windows 7)

BBS Signature

Response to What can i use to make music? 2015-05-27 13:34:47

You need a DAW. As for which one? Take your pick. You have FL Studio, Reason, Cubase, Reaper, Studio and others. You should be able to download a free trial of those DAWs I mentioned to test them out. Personally I would recommend FL Studio because it comes with its own sounds.