00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Earning money with games

4,874 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Earning money with games 2015-05-20 23:11:05

1- how do i earn money posting my game in this site?

2- and if its by view. how much do i earn per view or with 1000 views ????

thanks

BBS Signature

Response to Earning money with games 2015-05-20 23:50:28 (edited 2015-05-20 23:51:24)

I've been making games solo for about 10 years now -- here's a bit of what I've learned:

Newgrounds shares some of the ad revenue generated on your game by pre-roll ads. There's a thing called ECPM(Effective cost per milli (think milli as in millimeter)) which is essentially how much you get paid per 1000 ad impressions(note that I didn't say views -- if the user has adblock or there is no ad available you get $0). This figure will vary based on many things, but to give you a ballpark figure the ecpm for pre-roll ads for my games tends to be around $3-4 -- note, again, that this is per 1000 ad impressions. You don't need to implement anything in your game for pre-roll ads, it just automatically happens.

With that said, that's by no means the only way to monetize a game. You can implement newgrounds flash ads in your game(if your game is made with flash of course) which will generate revenue even if your game is played on another site. Another way to earn money from a web game is to find a sponsor -- they will pay you to have their logo/branding/more games links visible from your game. You do this by contacting sponsor sites directly or through a site like FGL.com(fgl charges a 10% fee once your game is sold).

Also keep in mind you can earn money indirectly from newgrounds too -- for example if you have a video walk-through of your game on youtube that's monetized and linked from your game, naturally you'll get more views on that by having your game on newgrounds. Or you could have a mobile version of your game on google play/apple app store and link to it from within your web game. Also there's a lot of value in the feedback you will get from the newgrounds community -- while not money per-se, getting good feedback on your first game will make your second game worth more.

Response to Earning money with games 2019-12-19 10:42:26

Get medals that are hard to get on sites by playing countless Flashgames. Sell your account to those who doesn't have the patience to earn those medals by themselves.

After you sold your account.

Repeat the same process again.

*modern problems require modern solutions*

Response to Earning money with games 2019-12-20 12:02:00 (edited 2019-12-20 12:05:54)

@BryceSummer pretty much gave the perfect answer. Gotta diversify your income sources!

To add to that, it's difficult to get as much these days as you used to, mainly due to ad networks just not paying the same amounts as they used to, people using adblockers, and NG trying to cut back on ads overall as they're no longer a very reliable source of income.

This topic might be relevant too, if you're looking for the revenue page and really getting started with this: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1446762

Personally, I feel like platforms such as Patreon and Ko-Fi are the way to go these days if you can make content consistently and gather a base of fans willing to support you. Better both for fans and creators, as the former appreciate more personal interaction/reward, and the latter get a way tighter group of fans... and hopefully a way more consistent budget. Feels like both the most profitable and the most appreciative way to go about it short of mainstream studio stuff.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Earning money with games 2019-12-20 12:58:18

The landscape has changed a bit since my post years ago, and @Cyberdevil is right in saying that ad revenue just isn't what it used to be.

I think this is actually a positive shift in the right direction... Ad revenue revenue is, even at it's prime, something that not only annoys the consumers of your content (who wants to watch ads??), it's only generating pennies (if that) per viewer. If you can build a following, and monetize that following directly (Patreon, for example), it just makes more sense... Instead of wasting everyone's time with ads, you're providing your fans additional value (In the form of Patreon benefits, etc) directly to your fans. If one person out of 1,000 really enjoys your content & decides to throw in a few dollars your way, you've already made as much as you would have with ads, and on top of that it's more sustainable.

Response to Earning money with games 2020-01-06 10:17:24 (edited 2020-01-06 10:25:41)

At 12/20/19 12:58 PM, BryceSummer wrote: The landscape has changed a bit since my post years ago, and @Cyberdevil is right in saying that ad revenue just isn't what it used to be.

I think this is actually a positive shift in the right direction... Ad revenue revenue is, even at it's prime, something that not only annoys the consumers of your content (who wants to watch ads??), it's only generating pennies (if that) per viewer. If you can build a following, and monetize that following directly (Patreon, for example), it just makes more sense... Instead of wasting everyone's time with ads, you're providing your fans additional value (In the form of Patreon benefits, etc) directly to your fans. If one person out of 1,000 really enjoys your content & decides to throw in a few dollars your way, you've already made as much as you would have with ads, and on top of that it's more sustainable.

Not to mention ads also generate more income for the companies who show them than for the creators who showcase them. In a way going for direct support instead cuts out that middleman so more of the profit's directed straight to the artist instead, should make for more return both for the creators and the people who fund them. Even if it was pretty cool how they could all be supported indirectly too, with fans chipping with patience and time rather than real cash...

Overall though it feels like an appreciative shift for sure, and these third-party platforms are doing a pretty good job at connecting people without taking too big a cut. KoFi and Flattr are pretty good too.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature