00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles?

556 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-19 18:04:37

I’m not very good at drawing toons so would like to know if anyone has any general advice on the subject.
(Not any particular style)
I know it’s a pretty open ended question but I’m not sure how else to put it.
And by saying ''advice'' I don’t just mean word-to-word; things like forums, Youtube channels websites, articles, blogs, etc would also help.The reason I’m asking is because I’ve been meaning to get into animation and there the cartoony style would make things a lot easier.
All information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Response to Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-19 18:09:33

At 5/19/15 06:04 PM, Metallum wrote: I’m not very good at drawing toons so would like to know if anyone has any general advice on the subject.
And by saying ''advice'' I don’t just mean word-to-word; things like forums, Youtube channels websites, articles, blogs, etc would also help.The reason I’m asking is because I’ve been meaning to get into animation and there the cartoony style would make things a lot easier.

make designs simple and easy to draw a thousand times over. Figure out faces from good angles, and rely on tropes like villains being angular, heroes being solid, goofy characters being round. and eyes really make the style, so whatever you draw inspiration from, see how they do their eyes and mirror it.

Response to Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-19 23:35:41

Sadly, there's really no easy way to get what your looking for.
Do studies. Draw. A lot. Watch various tutorials like Jazza, Sycra, or Proko.
Learn fundamentals. Eventually, you'll get an art style, but all of this would be hard work.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-20 03:24:14

At 5/19/15 06:04 PM, Metallum wrote: I’m not very good at drawing toons so would like to know if anyone has any general advice on the subject.

depends really on what style you're aiming for, the term "cartoony" really is very vague, like what cartoony? it could mean anime/manga style or western caricature style, can't you give anything more specific?

i mean i'm no pro but this probably goes without saying, you need to waste hundred or if you're really aiming to go pro thousands of hours of your precious time in practicing all the basics specially anatomy and spatial cognition

Response to Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-23 04:35:26

When you're drawing ANYTHING remember that it can be broken down into a bunch of super basic shapes. Try watching some speedpaint stuff on youtube or even here on Newgrounds! You get to watch how people break down a complicated picture and make it from just some squiggles and shapes. Trust me, breaking the picture down and working on bits at a time is seriously helpful. Hope this helps you some :3

Response to Advice on ''cartoony'' artstyles? 2015-05-23 22:12:38

easy just be yourself