00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NisoXD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Graphic Card Would You Recommend??

1,697 Views | 35 Replies

I'm going to be in the market soon for a graphics card...I want one that'll be able to play games like GTA 5 and others on MAX settings... This computers my first built...and I've been using the MOBOs built in HDMI until I come across a great card..BTW I don't plan on SLI(Double graphics cards) Here's my specs:

Power Supply - CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Processor - Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54690 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory - 4x(32Gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL

2 Blu-Ray burners and I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64Bit

Any suggestions please??

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:23:01

GTX980 its what Ive got and it will probably last me for this and the next generation of games, I can play GTAV on Ultra.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:24:11

At 5/14/15 11:23 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: GTX980 its what Ive got and it will probably last me for this and the next generation of games, I can play GTAV on Ultra.

How's the 4k rendering? Smooth?

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:26:28

I'd recommend the GTX-780. I've had one for a couple years now and it's served me pretty well. Haven't encountered any sort of performance issues with any of the newer games yet.

At 5/14/15 11:24 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Come on, dude. Don't mess with that PC stuff. It's a hassle.

Just get a game console.

Graphic Card Would You Recommend??

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:27:27

At 5/14/15 11:24 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote:
At 5/14/15 11:23 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: GTX980 its what Ive got and it will probably last me for this and the next generation of games, I can play GTAV on Ultra.

not bad on GTAV its pretty smooth even at 60+FPS

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:28:19

At 5/14/15 11:24 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Come on, dude. Don't mess with that PC stuff. It's a hassle.

Just get a game console.

Already have PS3 and PS4...

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:30:43

At 5/14/15 11:26 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I'd recommend the GTX-780. I've had one for a couple years now and it's served me pretty well. Haven't encountered any sort of performance issues with any of the newer games yet.

So you're able to use the full 4k on games and have no trouble at all? What kinda cooling systems you use? Mine are factory...and the case I have has 4 fans..plus the room my computer is in,is mine....and I keep it cool all year round..

I don't plan on overclocking anything..just wanna keep it simple,but a sleeper to everyone else...

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:33:28

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:39:54

At 5/14/15 11:30 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote:
At 5/14/15 11:26 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I'd recommend the GTX-780. I've had one for a couple years now and it's served me pretty well. Haven't encountered any sort of performance issues with any of the newer games yet.
So you're able to use the full 4k on games and have no trouble at all? What kinda cooling systems you use? Mine are factory...and the case I have has 4 fans..plus the room my computer is in,is mine....and I keep it cool all year round..

I don't plan on overclocking anything..just wanna keep it simple,but a sleeper to everyone else...

I haven't really tried running any games in 4k yet (then again maybe I have and just didn't realize it, lol.) I have a 1080p monitor, though, so it would seem like kind of a waste anyway. \

I have a liquid cooling system and 2 large fans (excluding the small fans such as the one seated on top of my CPU and the one in my PSU.) My rig's VGA temperature tends to idle around 30 degrees celsius. The highest I've been able to get it is around 80 degrees when running really graphically intensive games, but this card is rated for significantly higher temperatures than that so it's never been an issue at all. It usually runs so cold that my hand will ache if I put it up to the vents on my case. Lol.

At 5/14/15 11:39 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: I haven't really tried running any games in 4k yet (then again maybe I have and just didn't realize it, lol.) I have a 1080p monitor, though, so it would seem like kind of a waste anyway. \

I have a liquid cooling system and 2 large fans (excluding the small fans such as the one seated on top of my CPU and the one in my PSU.) My rig's VGA temperature tends to idle around 30 degrees celsius. The highest I've been able to get it is around 80 degrees when running really graphically intensive games, but this card is rated for significantly higher temperatures than that so it's never been an issue at all. It usually runs so cold that my hand will ache if I put it up to the vents on my case. Lol.

Yea,right out the bat my motherboard is a full 4k...but if I'm doing any games,I'd have use a graphic card.. Would I be ok if I keep all my cooling stock? I also have the top vent of my case seated with one of those personal deskfans.....

I only have a 1080p monitor myself,but plan on upgrading from my 24" to a 27"..That'll be my 4k monitor

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:45:06

At 5/14/15 11:42 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: Yea,right out the bat my motherboard is a full 4k...but if I'm doing any games,I'd have use a graphic card.. Would I be ok if I keep all my cooling stock? I also have the top vent of my case seated with one of those personal deskfans.....

What do you mean by "stock?" When you build your own rig, nothing is stock, lol. That being said, though, I would probably recommend adding liquid cooling because I imagine some of these newer games will really push the limits of your hardware, and could result in some nasty overheating without it. Liquid cooling is very effective, especially when combined with some good, high-powered fans.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:46:54

At 5/14/15 11:45 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: What do you mean by "stock?" When you build your own rig, nothing is stock, lol. That being said, though, I would probably recommend adding liquid cooling because I imagine some of these newer games will really push the limits of your hardware, and could result in some nasty overheating without it. Liquid cooling is very effective, especially when combined with some good, high-powered fans.

Stock as in.... The Intel Processor came with a factory heatsink and fan...and the case I have has 4 built in fans.... I didn't replace the factory intel heatsink/fan and put a bigger one in...

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-14 23:51:29

At 5/14/15 11:46 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote:
At 5/14/15 11:45 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: What do you mean by "stock?" When you build your own rig, nothing is stock, lol. That being said, though, I would probably recommend adding liquid cooling because I imagine some of these newer games will really push the limits of your hardware, and could result in some nasty overheating without it. Liquid cooling is very effective, especially when combined with some good, high-powered fans.
Stock as in.... The Intel Processor came with a factory heatsink and fan...and the case I have has 4 built in fans.... I didn't replace the factory intel heatsink/fan and put a bigger one in...

Well, that all depends on how good the fans are. In my experience, stock fans that come with cases tend to not be very good. If you're not going to be using liquid cooling, then I would guesstimate that you'll probably want at least 2 or 3 really big fans that spin at at least 1000 rpm (preferably much more.) If you add liquid cooling, you probably only need 1 or 2 fans with a max speed of maybe 700 or 800 rpm.

At 5/14/15 11:51 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Well, that all depends on how good the fans are. In my experience, stock fans that come with cases tend to not be very good. If you're not going to be using liquid cooling, then I would guesstimate that you'll probably want at least 2 or 3 really big fans that spin at at least 1000 rpm (preferably much more.) If you add liquid cooling, you probably only need 1 or 2 fans with a max speed of maybe 700 or 800 rpm.

The 2 front fans blow from front of case to back of case,the back fan is an exhaust and the side fan blows directly on the motherboard/graphic area/memory area...and the custom formed 9" personal fan I have on the top vent blows directly down from the top of the case to the bottom.... All the fans are remote controlled except for the 9" personal fan(I always run it on high) and the factory intel fan...

Not to mention it's right near my window which brings in plenty of air...and on warm days the ac unit is to the left..I think..IMO I should be at least ok.. But that's why I posted this here,for you guys to help..since I am a newcomer to building my own PC..

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 00:02:55

At 5/14/15 11:58 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: The 2 front fans blow from front of case to back of case,the back fan is an exhaust and the side fan blows directly on the motherboard/graphic area/memory area...and the custom formed 9" personal fan I have on the top vent blows directly down from the top of the case to the bottom.... All the fans are remote controlled except for the 9" personal fan(I always run it on high) and the factory intel fan...

Not to mention it's right near my window which brings in plenty of air...and on warm days the ac unit is to the left..I think..IMO I should be at least ok.. But that's why I posted this here,for you guys to help..since I am a newcomer to building my own PC..

Well the only way to really know if you have sufficient cooling or not is to do a stress test. Install the card with some temp sensors and try running some graphically intensive games to see how hot it runs. If you can keep running those games at maxed settings without reaching the card's rated max temperature and don't encounter any major performance issues, then you should be ok. However, if the card starts overheating or underclocking itself to compensate for excessive operating temperatures then you're probably going to need better cooling.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 00:06:13

At 5/15/15 12:02 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: Well the only way to really know if you have sufficient cooling or not is to do a stress test. Install the card with some temp sensors and try running some graphically intensive games to see how hot it runs. If you can keep running those games at maxed settings without reaching the card's rated max temperature and don't encounter any major performance issues, then you should be ok. However, if the card starts overheating or underclocking itself to compensate for excessive operating temperatures then you're probably going to need better cooling.

Thank you very very much. Everything you've said is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna check out your card and the one Tony recommended..

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 00:06:17

At 5/14/15 11:27 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 5/14/15 11:24 PM, NewgroundsSPG wrote:
not bad on GTAV its pretty smooth even at 60+FPS

I can do either 4k, or 60 FPS on my GTX 760. Really, really happy with GTA V for the PC, and the flexibility of the 250$ card, but then again, I'm pushing as much I can towards the 8 core CPU, since that's water cooled, and the GTX 760 I have, has only one fan :\

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

At 5/15/15 12:06 AM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: Thank you very very much. Everything you've said is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna check out your card and the one Tony recommended..

Just remember that as a general rule of thumb, you don't really need the latest and greatest hardware to build a decent rig. There are much more powerful cards than the GTX-780, but it's still a really good high-end card that works great with every game that I've played so far.

The higher-end cards are a lot more expensive and are often "overkill" in that they provide much more power than you actually need. On top of that, they tend to consume more power, so they require a higher-end PSU and will probably run up your electric bill. In fact, I would even rate my card as somewhat "overkill" since I've yet to encounter any game that takes full advantage of it, so unless you're going to be doing some really graphically intensive work like 3d modelling and shit like that, you probably won't need a very powerful card. A mid-level card such as GTX-760 would probably even suffice.

@VicariousE lol I just saw your post after I posted this... Speak of the devil!

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 00:25:57

At 5/15/15 12:13 AM, DJ-Ri wrote: The higher-end cards are a lot more expensive and are often "overkill" in that they provide much more power than you actually need. On top of that, they tend to consume more power, so they require a higher-end PSU and will probably run up your electric bill. In fact, I would even rate my card as somewhat "overkill" since I've yet to encounter any game that takes full advantage of it, so unless you're going to be doing some really graphically intensive work like 3d modelling and shit like that, you probably won't need a very powerful card. A mid-level card such as GTX-760 would probably even suffice.

@VicariousE lol I just saw your post after I posted this... Speak of the devil!

I'm checking out the GTX 780 and the 980... I don't think my Rig can handle the 980 though..Cause I'm only running the i5 processor...Maybe I'm wrong...but I think if I did the 980 I'd have to upgrade my processor...Right?

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 06:42:04

At 5/15/15 12:25 AM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: I'm checking out the GTX 780 and the 980... I don't think my Rig can handle the 980 though..Cause I'm only running the i5 processor...Maybe I'm wrong...but I think if I did the 980 I'd have to upgrade my processor...Right?

You shouldn't experience any bottlenecking with an i5 4690

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 08:29:30

At 5/15/15 06:42 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 5/15/15 12:25 AM, NewgroundsSPG wrote: I'm checking out the GTX 780 and the 980... I don't think my Rig can handle the 980 though..Cause I'm only running the i5 processor...Maybe I'm wrong...but I think if I did the 980 I'd have to upgrade my processor...Right?
You shouldn't experience any bottlenecking with an i5 4690

An i5 4690 should pair up nicely with a GTX 970 or even a GTX 960. An_80 series nVIDIA card is already overkill for most games. Don't worry about running 4k. 1080p is fine for now. Wait 5 more years for when 4K based TVs and monitors are more the norm, and much less expensive.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 08:49:53

GTX 980 if you got the money
GTX 960 if you're on a budgey

Avoid GTX 970's because 3.5GB

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

At 5/15/15 08:49 AM, Kogey wrote: GTX 980 if you got the money

This is a non-issue if you stick with 1080p and 60FPS. Do you have a Computer monitor capable of 120+hz yet? If not then 60fps at 60hz is all you need to worry about. It's pointless to try and get more than 60fps on a 60hz monitor.

Also, don't worry about "future-proofing". With graphics cards, pervious generations are always made obsolete with every new version of DirectX!

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 09:14:29

At 5/15/15 09:01 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 5/15/15 08:49 AM, Kogey wrote: GTX 980 if you got the money

This is a non-issue if you stick with 1080p and 60FPS. Do you have a Computer monitor capable of 120+hz yet? If not then 60fps at 60hz is all you need to worry about. It's pointless to try and get more than 60fps on a 60hz monitor.

Also, don't worry about "future-proofing". With graphics cards, pervious generations are always made obsolete with every new version of DirectX!

Not true, GTA V eats up vram like crazy and can't run at max settings on a 970 due to the fact that if you go over 3.5 its lag city

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 09:17:11

At 5/15/15 12:06 AM, VicariousE wrote: I can do either 4k, or 60 FPS on my GTX 760. Really, really happy with GTA V for the PC, and the flexibility of the 250$ card, but then again, I'm pushing as much I can towards the 8 core CPU, since that's water cooled, and the GTX 760 I have, has only one fan :\

nice ive been looking at buying another just because and that I use three monitors. heres a 970 for $300 you could SLI with.

At 5/15/15 09:14 AM, Kogey wrote: Not true, GTA V eats up vram like crazy and can't run at max settings on a 970 due to the fact that if you go over 3.5 its lag city

What is your monitor's resolution and hz capabilities?
Also keep in mind that although the 700 and 900 series cards are "4K capable", they weren't really built from the ground up as 4K cards.
---

@NewgroundsSPG

I would just get a GTX750Ti for the time being (It's under $200). It's still heads and tails better than the HD4600, which is roughly like a GT630 or GT730.

I would wait until after the 4K switchover finishes to really get a Dedicated 4K graphics card, which none of the current releases are in reality. IIRC, the AMD 300 series are going to be 4K dedicated and whatever next nVIDIA series as well.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 11:45:10

I'm not sure if you would be running everything on 'Ultra' but a Radeon R9 would probably do the job fine.

420 blaze it

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 13:21:08

At 5/15/15 09:17 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 5/15/15 12:06 AM, VicariousE wrote: I can do either 4k, or 60 FPS on my GTX 760. Really, really happy with GTA V for the PC, and the flexibility of the 250$ card, but then again, I'm pushing as much I can towards the 8 core CPU, since that's water cooled, and the GTX 760 I have, has only one fan :\
nice ive been looking at buying another just because and that I use three monitors. heres a 970 for $300 you could SLI with.

I could pair a 760 with a 970, really? Man, that would certainly push some pixels! I've only got one crappy LCD monitor though, if anything, I'd like to maybe replace the OEM fan on the 760 with something better... or just add another fan tot he case, just to be safe first.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 13:22:55

At 5/15/15 01:21 PM, VicariousE wrote: I could pair a 760 with a 970, really? Man, that would certainly push some pixels! I've only got one crappy LCD monitor though, if anything, I'd like to maybe replace the OEM fan on the 760 with something better... or just add another fan tot he case, just to be safe first.

yup backwards compatible get one of those and two new monitors and a fan and your good its only a good 800 investment.

Response to Graphic Card Would You Recommend?? 2015-05-15 13:24:41

At 5/15/15 11:48 AM, ErwinSmith wrote: Gtx 680 for 60 fps 1080p gaming on high settings - cost roughlt $250
hd 7770 for 60 fps 1080p gaming on low settings - cost roughlt $100

no one uses GTX 600 hundreds now they're being phased the hell out if you dont have a GTX770+ your screwed.