00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The annoying argument thread

1,508 Views | 19 Replies

The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 06:13:27

Sometimes in a discussion the person you argue with will either says something so stupid or so generic that it makes you destroy your own face due to serious facepalming injuries.

So I thought that we could all share our own thoughts on stupid arguments we heard over the years. Be they retarded or generic arguments you hear all the time.

I would start of by saying I hate the argument "If you don't like it then stop watching/reading/listening/playing it". This argument usually pops up in comments sections and to be fair when a person say this they aren't entirely wrong, because of course if you don't like something then why should continue to expose yourself to it?

Except that is usually not the case when this pops up. Usually it just when someone criticizes something minor like "I think it was out of character" or just disagree with something, and usually they are legitimate complaints but as soon you just show a little reluctance then BAM! Someone will be on you saying that you can take your negative attitude somewhere else.

What I hate about this argument is that it discourage criticism and criticism is good. You can still point out the flaws to something and yet still love it. I love Legend of Korra and I can point out a lot of things that are stupid about the show and that could have been done better (not implying that I can do better just that I can see flaws in things I love) but I bet if were to express those opinions someone would be on my ass saying I can just stop watching the show if I don't like it.

So what about you guys any types of arguments that drives you insane?

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

"You have no life."

"No one put a gun to your head for you to expose yourself to this."

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 06:37:02

The "you can't be racist/sexist towards whites/men" one always gets to me, it's just so stupid, at times you can tell when people say that just to troll you but sometimes you're not sure if the person who said it is serious or not.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 07:00:08

At 5/13/15 06:37 AM, Radaketor wrote: The "you can't be racist/sexist towards whites/men" one always gets to me, it's just so stupid

The term 'privilege' has been totally butchered by the fuckwits who legitimately agree with that argument, hasn't it?

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 08:07:06

"How can you say you didn't like it if you didn't read/watch/play it all the way through?" Because when you finally do, then you're greeted by "If you didn't like it, then why did you take the time to read/watch/play it all the way through?"

Any opinion that uses the term "rape culture" I like to discard immediately. Same with people who try to make everything about race/religion/gender.

Whenever I criticize a video game the first response I usually get is something like, "Oh yeah? Well I bet you play Call of Duty." As if playing CoD invalidates one's opinion somehow.

The apologies I've seen for Sonic '06 range from reasonable things like "It's fun to find new ways to break the game" to Stockholm-esque things like claiming the fps drops and the incomplete gem powerups were intentional features, or completely denying any faults in the game and stating that any footage of bugs are faked.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 08:22:07

At 5/13/15 07:00 AM, ThePulp wrote: The term 'privilege' has been totally butchered by the fuckwits who legitimately agree with that argument, hasn't it?

To the point where i can't take it seriously anymore.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 08:46:38

At 5/13/15 06:37 AM, Radaketor wrote: The "you can't be racist/sexist towards whites/men" one always gets to me, it's just so stupid, at times you can tell when people say that just to troll you but sometimes you're not sure if the person who said it is serious or not.

I don't really see how that is an argument as it is more like an expression of opinion. Which arguably an argument is, but in a more explanatory way. Saying "you can't be racist against" doesn't really explain why, just that it's what they think. But whatever if that annoys I guess I will not argue the fact that it does annoy you.

At 5/13/15 08:24 AM, dem0lecule wrote: Oh look, Mismo, you have started a self-fulfilling prophecy in this thread.

@ThePulp is kicking up the evidence why we can never have nice things.

You saying there some annoying arguments in here?

BBS Signature

At 5/13/15 08:24 AM, dem0lecule wrote: @ThePulp is kicking up the evidence why we can never have nice things.

Check your privilege.

Fuck, I've been playing the strawman card.

At 5/13/15 09:31 AM, ThePulp wrote: Check your privilege.

Okay, here you go...
EDIT: Oh wait, you must have been just quoting an agruement instead of using it. Fuck...

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 14:10:46

At 5/13/15 01:56 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Can't believe you're not getting banned for using that word while I get banned immediately if I use it.
@BrenTheMan what the fuck?

Combination of general attitude and ban record?

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 14:23:16

When I find myself in a stupid argument in day to day life, I just smile politely and nod my head in what I hope are the right places. Then I walk away. That's only if I have any shred of respect for the person. If I don't think much of them, I look at my watch and just walk away.

Online, I try to avoid getting sucked into annoying arguments. If I do find myself in an argument, I simply withdraw. That's only for stupid/annoying arguments though. Sadly, nobody online EVER wants to admit to being wrong ever that I usually just stop posting because there's no point.

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 14:59:07

At 5/13/15 01:56 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Can't believe you're not getting banned for using that word while I get banned immediately if I use it.
@BrenTheMan what the fuck?

I am not the forum house mother ffs.

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 15:50:18

At 5/13/15 03:00 PM, Amaranthus wrote:

Fix it, dammit.

I banned the guy. Like I would ban anyone for using that word. You are aware that we don't get a ping every time the word mods is used? That's not how the interaction system works. So here in my first minute logged on I have a new ban. Hooray.

Now for the actual topic. This is something that annoys me a lot. Mainly it's the easy cleverness. It's where someone learned just enough to have a hook you can't slip from and then grew bored of gaining meaningful understanding. I am not interested in engaging in any of the arguments I'm about to use as examples.

If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.
Non-smokers die every day.
Look at this inconsistency an organized religion has.

I'm sure there's a bunch more. Feel free to add to the list.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 17:21:33

At 5/13/15 03:00 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Fix it, dammit.

OK.

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-13 21:42:50

Any argument where the opposition resorts to personal insults that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, rather than coming up with a better counter-argument.
Irritating. But hilarious.

I dislike when people utilizeFallacious argumentative tactics while failing or neglecting to completely educate themselves on a topic or the context within which a statement is made meaningful...

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-14 06:40:44

aliens exist
like srsly

Sig made by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-14 06:46:02

At 5/14/15 06:40 AM, Jericho wrote: aliens exist
like srsly

They might but are you referring to those crackpots on the history channel that says everything ever was the cause of interference of extra-terrestrials?

BBS Signature

Response to The annoying argument thread 2015-05-14 06:48:27

At 5/14/15 06:46 AM, Mismo wrote:
At 5/14/15 06:40 AM, Jericho wrote: aliens exist
like srsly
They might but are you referring to those crackpots on the history channel that says everything ever was the cause of interference of extra-terrestrials?

yea pretty much

Sig made by Decky

BBS Signature

At 5/14/15 07:38 AM, MrPercie wrote:
At 5/14/15 06:48 AM, Jericho wrote: yea pretty much
then go die in a boiling hot pile of monkey jizz.

Hey did you know that aliens are responsible for both the existence of monkeys and jizz?

This next fact will SHOCK you:

Chicken butts are for real.

On Topic: Linking to clickbait as your source is the basis of a shit-tier weak-ass legless argument.