00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Smash 4's competitive value...

790 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Smash 4's competitive value... 2015-05-11 21:19:43

Copy/Paste from a comment section:

"Smash 4 Post patch (Yeah this is pretty late):

Still the worst (Official) smash game I have played competitively. I'm TRYING to make it work but I see more and more minor problems that add up and huge problems that just really irk me. Its still fun to play, and it CAN be a good game competitively (sometimes) but some things still really bring it down for me (camping, overrewarding defensive play, etc.).

The nerfs: Diddy's up air had it coming (It honestly DID kill way too early. I'm saying this as a diddy main), Sonic's nerf was just stupid, and Sheik gets nerfed again (as if she didn't get enough already). That's about as far as I know for the nerfs.
It really bothers me that these characters get nerfs, but some other ones who have significant problems don't even get touched.

Current opinion on customs:

I still appreciate the variety, but I realize that these things make the game more defensive than it already is.
First of all, some customs are way better than some other ones because they have no real drawbacks. Nobody can tell me that DK's custom has a drawback, cause there's no drawback to speak of. Its the exact same Up-B with super armor, a sucking windbox effect, and pretty good knockback (and has no lag at some points). He becomes impossible to spike or gimp with that Up-b and it baffles me that they don't at least remove the super armor (yet they remove the invincibility frame on Sonic's flaming spin dash)
"But why don't you grab him?"
- Its bearable on the ground. But on the air its ridiculous.
And that's only one character. Luigi is even more defensive with his ice fire custom (and his falling up-b is unpunishable unless you're right next to him) and Villager's in the same boat with his exploding balloons (which a certain villager player exploited on a tournament from what I've heard). I like how the customs add in different properties but I don't appreciate the fact that is makes the game even worse competitively imo.
And about the For Glory mentioning, I still do think that online mode shouldn't be the basis for a fighting game's competitive value, but (in this one exception) For Glory accurately shows all the problems that this game has as a whole (and yes they accurately reflect on competitive tournaments. Case in Point: Most of Dabuz's fights)
The three things that accurately reflect the game that have a common occurrence in For Glory is:
1. The overrewarding defensive play (Of course)
2. The camping
3. constant rolling (I can easily read through rolls but it can be annoying how much this game rewards doing this (some punishes can flat out miss even though the dodge/roll was clearly late))

These things are present throughout the entire game but in lesser degrees (Cause more platforms). Sometimes it taken to ridiculous extremes (Just look at some players in Tournaments)

I don't have a problem with defensive play at all. I think there should be defensive play in every fighting game TO SOME EXTENT. But, I don't like it when its basically considered the primary playstyle for fighting games. I honestly think that this game is far more defensive (and campy) than Brawl and its worse in my book as a result. I know that aggressive play is possible but in this game, it mostly favors the more defensive player a majority of the time.

Except when its Zero on the receiving end....cause its Zero."

Discuss. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Response to Smash 4's competitive value... 2015-05-12 18:07:46

Hrm.....

Response to Smash 4's competitive value... 2015-05-16 02:30:07

To be completely honest it was just brought to my attention that this game had any competitive value to begin with.

As far as I'm concerned it's a neat little button masher I play with friends on occasion, but I couldn't imagine practicing fucking Smash Bros, as opposed to an actual fighting game.

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature