00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

IP Address

3,815 Views | 21 Replies

IP Address 2015-05-10 18:27:41

What program do people use to track down a specific IP Address.
For EXAMPLEI wanted to exactly track:

http://murray.newgrounds.com/

I only found a program where it tracks the website itself, like where Newgrounds is located.
If you're wondering "what the fuck does he want with IP addresses?"
I was just curios, also, there is fraud account in Facebook, which is probably one of my friends.
So I wanted to check which friend was that with an IP address tracer or tracker or whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 19:08:48

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 19:11:06

At 5/10/15 07:08 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Go ask this place. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help you.

Oh f*ck. You've brought 4chan's elite hacker team down upon us.

inb4 install gentoo

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 20:56:54

A person's user account is not linked to their own ip address. It is a web page of Newgrounds.com, so the ip you're getting is for Newgrounds.com. The only way to get someone's ip is to trick them, whether that's getting them to tell you, or tricking them into downloading something on their computer that will then report their ip back to you.

However, stuff like that is immoral and illegal.

That being said if you have someone's ip there's a multitude of website's that'll tell you what country the IP is registered in. This doesn't always mean this is the country someone lives.
These websites do this by using traceroute which tracks all the routers it takes to send data between 2 locations. (ie your location to the other person's location), and it usually passes through well-known routers whose locations are known. I'm in my 2nd year of university and I've just been learning all this stuff.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 21:04:43 (edited 2015-05-10 21:14:55)

If you just want a quick and easy way to resolve a hostname to an IP address you can usually just use a command line tool like ping. For example, open a command prompt and type something like this:

>ping newgrounds.com

Pinging newgrounds.com [198.41.187.234] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 198.41.187.234: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56
Reply from 198.41.187.234: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=56
Reply from 198.41.187.234: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56
Reply from 198.41.187.234: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 198.41.187.234:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 11ms

Ping is a tool that lets you measure latency (lag) between yourself and another machine. By pinging a hostname or IP address, your computer sends a packet or series of packets to that location. It counts the amount of time it takes for the packet to come back to you, which gives you an idea of either how far away it is, how much load the server is under, or how bad your own connection is. The target then sends them back to you. It works similarly to how radar and sonar work.

If you just want to resolve the hostname to IP and don't care about ping times, you can use a tool like nslookup instead:

>nslookup newgrounds.com
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    newgrounds.com
Addresses:  198.41.187.234

Note: The examples I just gave you are for Windows. Similar commands exist on *Nix but they tend to produce slightly different looking output. All-in-all though commands like ping and nslookup are considered the "bread and butter" of basic networking tools.

If you're genuinely interested in learning how networking works I suggest reading some of these first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocol_suite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

Someone already said this but I'll just recap... That page is hosted on Newgrounds. The IP address would be for a Newgrounds server.

Newgrounds doesn't actually operate on a single server anymore (at least I wouldn't think it does) and likely has a farm of them with load balancing, etc. The newgrounds.com TLD (top-level domain) is probably mapped with a load-balancing DNS so depending on where you're connecting from and which servers are under the least load, that is the server IP that it will be mapped to. Newgrounds also has auxiliary servers that are provisioned specifically for things like serving files (ngfiles.com) which don't actually serve HTML. This falls in line with a computer science principle known as "separation of concern."

More on that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_concerns

If you're really interested in all of this stuff I can probably PM you a more comprehensive list of articles. You should probably visit your local library and see if they have any good books you can read. Also, if there are any kind of networking classes at your school, you should consider taking them.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 21:08:05

Leave this thread. Authorities are being contacted.

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 22:10:30

If you host an image online.... you can view traffic of anyone who accesses the image.

If you trick a person into viewing an image, you log their IP.

For example.... you link the image via url to a page and get them to visit the page.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 22:14:46 (edited 2015-05-10 22:15:02)

Just to clarify, Newgrounds.com itself is NOT a TLD. The "com" at the end of "newgrounds.com" is the TLD. What I was trying to refer to (and unfortunately poorly articulated) was the main newgrounds domain name, as opposed to a subdomain like the one you listed in your example. I just realized what I posted was a little bit misleading so thought I'd just correct myself.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 22:15:40

At 5/10/15 10:10 PM, Raab wrote: If you host an image online.... you can view traffic of anyone who accesses the image.

For example.... you link the image via url to a page and get them to visit the page.

...or just use this tool

derp

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 22:19:07 (edited 2015-05-10 22:19:41)

At 5/10/15 10:15 PM, PriusRepellent wrote:
At 5/10/15 10:10 PM, Raab wrote: If you host an image online.... you can view traffic of anyone who accesses the image.

...or just use this tool

loading an image or a flash object will have a higher chance of giving valid information.

Just using a tracker like that isn't going to give you the correct information all the time.

Example.... I'm in the united states right now, but since I'm on a VPN this is what the IP tracker will get.

IP Address

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 22:25:16

At 5/10/15 10:19 PM, Raab wrote:
At 5/10/15 10:15 PM, PriusRepellent wrote:

...or just use this tool
loading an image or a flash object will have a higher chance of giving valid information.

Just using a tracker like that isn't going to give you the correct information all the time.

Example.... I'm in the united states right now, but since I'm on a VPN this is what the IP tracker will get.

That tool lets you make an image, and embed it, then it logs it... and it has several options. Also, Flash won't help for a VPN, itd bypass a proxy but not a VPN.

derp

Response to IP Address 2015-05-10 23:31:09

At 5/10/15 10:25 PM, PriusRepellent wrote:
That tool lets you make an image, and embed it, then it logs it... and it has several options. Also, Flash won't help for a VPN, itd bypass a proxy but not a VPN.

the majority of IP leaks while using a VPN is through flash.

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 00:41:26

OP is a sped and knows nothing about computers/networking.

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 01:31:17

At 5/11/15 01:05 AM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 5/10/15 09:04 PM, DJ-Ri wrote: Someone already said this but I'll just recap... That page is hosted on Newgrounds. The IP address would be for a Newgrounds server.
Not always the shown public IP is pointed to the main servers. Could be Cloudflare CDN, load balancer or any front-end server that redirect the website.

They're definitely behind Cloudflare. If you really wanted to know what the Newgrounds network looks like, you would need to ask Bren.

Either way, doing a DNS lookup of someone's userpage isn't going to accomplish what OP thinks it will accomplish.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 01:48:00

At 5/11/15 01:38 AM, dem0lecule wrote:
At 5/11/15 01:31 AM, Bit wrote: Either way, doing a DNS lookup of someone's userpage isn't going to accomplish what OP thinks it will accomplish.
I PM to OP an extensive explanation on how IP address work. I think he's really noob to this. Also, whatever legit methods to get someone's IP address would be illegal to discuss on NG.

Yeah, I was assuming he meant resolving the hostname to an IP, but looking over his post again now it seems clear that's not what he was trying to do. Agreed with dem0lecule we probably shouldn't be discussing how to pull a user's IP (although this is really something that is pretty common knowledge anyway.)

@ OP if you're really interested in learning this stuff definitely check out the links I posted. It definitely sounds like you don't really understand how all of this works, and the best way to learn is to read up on as much as you can. Also, don't do anything illegal, it's usually not a good idea :p

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 02:16:12

At 5/11/15 01:31 AM, Bit wrote: They're definitely behind Cloudflare. If you really wanted to know what the Newgrounds network looks like, you would need to ask Bren.
Bren the Captain riding through the seas of bits.

A sea of me? Couldn't be.

But I'm bit. Ain't that some shit?

At 5/11/15 01:48 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 5/11/15 01:31 AM, Bit wrote: Either way, doing a DNS lookup of someone's userpage isn't going to accomplish what OP thinks it will accomplish.
I PM to OP an extensive explanation on how IP address work. I think he's really noob to this. Also, whatever legit methods to get someone's IP address would be illegal to discuss on NG.
Yeah, I was assuming he meant resolving the hostname to an IP, but looking over his post again now it seems clear that's not what he was trying to do. Agreed with dem0lecule we probably shouldn't be discussing how to pull a user's IP (although this is really something that is pretty common knowledge anyway.)

@ OP if you're really interested in learning this stuff definitely check out the links I posted. It definitely sounds like you don't really understand how all of this works, and the best way to learn is to read up on as much as you can. Also, don't do anything illegal, it's usually not a good idea :p

A few users ITT already gave him some info on how to do it.

I wouldn't worry too much, though. If OP is green enough that he doesn't understand the IP system, I don't think he'll be able to do what was suggested. And, if he does, what will he do with the IP? Geographical lookups can be pretty inaccurate, and OP doesn't have the power to DoS him. I guess he could compare the IP with that of his friend, but that's about it.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 03:37:13

At 5/11/15 01:00 AM, dem0lecule wrote: Google is your friend. Your stupidity (or attempt of trolling) is so strong I don't bother explaining it to you.

Are you a fucking idiot, sometimes google hides website like this. There are more powerful search engines which also searches the black market. Which google cannot search the black market, I think I heard a search engine called tor or thor???? That searches stuff like that, and please, sometime google cannot answer my math problems :(

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 03:44:58

At 5/11/15 03:37 AM, ArcadeDominator wrote:

The Deep Web is what you're thinking of. Tor can access it

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 03:45:46

You're not the only one who wants to track that fucker down and slaughter him like a pig.

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 03:54:49

At 5/11/15 03:44 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote:

Illegal programs(hacking tools) can be found it the deep web, right?

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 04:04:45

At 5/11/15 03:54 AM, ArcadeDominator wrote:
At 5/11/15 03:44 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote:
Illegal programs(hacking tools) can be found it the deep web, right?

Most likely. And a whole bunch of other stuff that is similar to lemon party, goatse etc. Just read some of this

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to IP Address 2015-05-11 10:51:02

Did that guy give you a stink and you want to track him now?

Is that what's going on?

How am I the only one to ask this question yet.