00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial

1,233 Views | 18 Replies

27-year-old James Holmes is the admitted assailant who set off tear gas in a packed movie theater room screening Batman: The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado in July 2012, and then fired three guns at the confused moviegoers, killing 12 and wounding 70 others. One death was a 6-year-old girl. Holmes was arrested minutes later and is now on trial.

It has taken almost three years to try Holmes due to Holmes declining a speedy trial or to plead guilty, and has Instead pleaded not guilty to due to reason of insanity, which means he will spend all or most of his life in a mental hospital. If found guilty of murder and attempted murder, he would get life without parole or the death penalty.

The trial started two weeks ago, on April 27, and will probably last five months.

Despite being a trial for such a horrific event, a judge made the atmosphere there in the courtroom lively when he made a joke about a cell phone going off in the courtroom, which ignited laughter.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153301335251600&id=90018331599&ref=bookmark

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 01:42:47

What kind of Face Book is that?

BBS Signature

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 01:47:06

At 5/9/15 01:42 AM, Avery wrote: What kind of Face Book is that?

Mobile. Because OP linked to that instead of the desktop one like a sane person would.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 01:48:40

At 5/9/15 01:47 AM, Viper wrote:
At 5/9/15 01:42 AM, Avery wrote: What kind of Face Book is that?
Mobile. Because OP linked to that instead of the desktop one like a sane person would.

Wow, can you focus on the content of the topic?

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 02:01:12

At 5/9/15 01:55 AM, UkeFox wrote: Hearing the testimony of that one guy that got shot in the head and now has to be in a wheelchair legitimately almost made me cry.
I thought this thread was gonna be tasteless but for once I'm glad it's not

You mean Caleb Medley, the aspiring comedian?

Yeah, he lost an eye, has severe brain damage, and is paralyzed somewhere. He also had a kid that was born days after he was shot. He can't really speak and can barely do anything without supervision or assistance.

So sad.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 02:05:21

Judges shouldn't be making jokes. The atmosphere should not be lightened.

But someone should be seriously looking into what led up to this, because I can almost guarantee you there's more to it.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 02:06:48

At 5/9/15 01:40 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: Despite being a trial for such a horrific event, a judge made the atmosphere there in the courtroom lively when he made a joke about a cell phone going off in the courtroom, which ignited laughter.

This is not shown in the video, despite the facebook post implying that it is. Did this even happen?

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 02:14:02

At 5/9/15 02:06 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 5/9/15 01:40 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: Despite being a trial for such a horrific event, a judge made the atmosphere there in the courtroom lively when he made a joke about a cell phone going off in the courtroom, which ignited laughter.
This is not shown in the video, despite the facebook post implying that it is. Did this even happen?

Uh, yes.

Obviously a cell phone goes off, the judge says the ringtone sounded good to make serious things a bit light hearted, and some people in the back laughed a bit.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 02:14:48

At 5/9/15 02:14 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: Obviously a cell phone goes off, the judge says the ringtone sounded good to make serious things a bit light hearted, and some people in the back laughed a bit.

Ok... I didn't see that in the video though.

At 5/9/15 02:14 AM, DJ-Ri wrote:
At 5/9/15 02:14 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: Obviously a cell phone goes off, the judge says the ringtone sounded good to make serious things a bit light hearted, and some people in the back laughed a bit.
Ok... I didn't see that in the video though.

Don't you mean listen? Turn up the volume. You didn't hear the judge saying the ring sounded good?

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 11:42:17

At 5/9/15 02:05 AM, soupflavoredsoup wrote: Judges shouldn't be making jokes. The atmosphere should not be lightened.

But someone should be seriously looking into what led up to this, because I can almost guarantee you there's more to it.

Sometimes laughter is necessary in these dark times

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 12:02:28

At 5/9/15 11:42 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote:
At 5/9/15 02:05 AM, soupflavoredsoup wrote: Judges shouldn't be making jokes. The atmosphere should not be lightened.

Sometimes laughter is necessary in these dark times

Judges are not comedians. Least so in the court room. It's not the time or the place.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 15:02:08

At 5/9/15 02:02 PM, Sensationalism wrote:
The best funerals make you laugh despite all the crying. Comic relief with tragedy is much needed by those grieving.

If I was watching the trial for my daughter's murder and the judge started trying to make me laugh, I'd call him out on it and spend the night in jail for contempt of court.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 15:39:48

At 5/9/15 02:57 PM, Hoodie wrote:
At 5/9/15 01:40 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: One death was a 6-year-old girl.
So?

I knew some fucker would come in here and say a child's death doesn't matter any more than an adult's.

Six is very young and innocent, and it's more disturbing that a defenseless child is a victim of a violent crime. I don't know why this confuses you.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 17:23:25

lmao psychopath logic makes no sense, go kill someone u freak

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-09 21:41:50

I'm curious why it's taken three years for the trial to begin...

BBS Signature

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-10 01:44:18

At 5/9/15 09:26 PM, X-Gary-Gigax-X wrote:
At 5/9/15 01:40 AM, GoodLuckTurtle wrote: It has taken almost three years to try Holmes due to Holmes declining a speedy trial or to plead guilty, and has Instead pleaded not guilty to due to reason of insanity, which means he will spend all or most of his life in a mental hospital. If found guilty of murder and attempted murder, he would get life without parole or the death penalty.

The trial started two weeks ago, on April 27, and will probably last five months.
I was wondering why it took so fucking long when there are a hundred eye-witnesses at the scene of the attack.

I know even criminals have rights, but to delay your trial this long is obscene IMO.

The trial is to determine if James Holmes is sane or not, not about if he did it. Everybody knows he did it, and Holmes himself admitted to the shooting. Yes it is very ridiculous how it has taken three years to get this guy convicted. I myself suffer some mental health problems but not very severe, but even schizophrenics know shooting 70 people in a movie theater is wrong and unnecessary. Holmes premeditated the plan in advance.

Holmes spent weeks buying guns and ammo, as well as body armor, practiced at a shooting range and even used human sized targets, sent a message to a psychiatrist that he wanted to kill someone and talked about it to a drinking buddy, purchased tear gas, drove to the theater and set off the tear gas and shot people for minutes and then surrendered to police.

It was the prime definition of premeditation, which may hurt his insanity defense.

Holmes is mentally disturbed, but not really insane, and knew what he did was wrong.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-10 01:57:35

thank God Himself and the whale as a true newssource.

Response to Laughs During Batman Shooting Trial 2015-05-10 09:29:41

At 5/9/15 11:10 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: fear.. sadness.. i cant possess them for something other than myself and those people i care for.

anger i cant feel at all.

compassion and other such positive emotions are my strong suit. they help keep me alive by keeping me in high spirits.

You and me both brother!

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature