00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Walrus1994 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I think I'm getting into Anime now

2,360 Views | 36 Replies

Not a huge fan of anime but after watching Sword Art Online series and Gurren Lagann I kinda opened up my interests in the world of anime. I know there are some major anime fans on here so give me some suggestions of the anime shows I should watch next. It can be anything.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:17:07

At 5/8/15 06:42 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Not a huge fan of anime but after watching Sword Art Online series and Gurren Lagann I kinda opened up my interests in the world of anime. I know there are some major anime fans on here so give me some suggestions of the anime shows I should watch next. It can be anything.

Eh. Season 1 of SAO was better than this one. It'd probably take me a bit to really get into it.

Other anime to give a try (since you're "new" to anime or whatever)
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Soul Eater
Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach (the anime is officially over but the manga is still going)
and Full Metal Alchemist (either the original or Brotherhood. doesn't make a difference (though they are radically different))

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:30:02

At 5/8/15 07:12 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: inb4 supergandhi64 says "video games rot the brain"... well, some games are based on anime.. if video games rot the brain, anime must also..

I agree. Pokemon is what made me impressed when I was younger and discovered anime. Even though the Pokemon games came first before the show and the show isn't considered a strong anime, either way pretty much does a great job giving fanservice and explaining everything about the universe. There is good Naruto game series as well even I'm not too fond on all mainstream anime but they did nail it for the fans. Anime and video games blend really well now that I think about it. Its Japan after all. Even when the anime is not based on a game but the gaming industry like Sword Art Online. Pretty much creators of animes are pretty good at relating with things with people even if you're not Japanese which is why Anime is universally popular and well known to everyone.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:32:01

Kill a Kill, Tokyo Ghoul, Hetalia, uhm, Soul Eater.

Sig made by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:35:26

Ghost in the Shell is a great anime.

At 5/8/15 07:17 PM, Viper wrote: FLCL

I believe I watched one or two episodes on adultswim in the past. I'll definitely give that show a chance. From I remember the animations are batshit insane.

Cowboy Bebop

This one has been talked about a lot, I remember this show showing up on Toonami when I was younger.

Soul Eater

Saw snippets of this show on adultswim, it looks cool.

Yu Yu Hakusho

Never heard of it but willing to take a peek.

Bleach (the anime is officially over but the manga is still going)

Holy shit this show has so many characters and side-stories that I need to follow. I have to prepare myself if I want to go to the beginning and watch it. I seen random episodes of this show and no matter how much I try to make sense out of that show I get lost easily. But that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance. I will try it out when I get the chance.

and Full Metal Alchemist (either the original or Brotherhood. doesn't make a difference (though they are radically different))

Not as crazy as Bleach. Because I think I will be able to follow it even though it has a huge plot as it progresses. Saw the pilot a long time ago. Two brothers had a mom and she died and yada yada yada. This one looks pretty cool though, I will give that one a go as well.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:42:56

At 5/8/15 07:32 PM, Zloff wrote: Kill a Kill

This one is already on my radar. I watched 5 episodes a week ago and already consider it as a awesome show.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:44:23

At 5/8/15 07:42 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote:
This one is already on my radar. I watched 5 episodes a week ago and already consider it as a awesome show.

I see. What about the others ones i listed?

Sig made by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:46:26

WataMote is good. Go watch it now.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:48:32

At 5/8/15 07:44 PM, Zloff wrote:
At 5/8/15 07:42 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote:
I see. What about the others ones i listed?

The rest I'm not too familiar with except Soul Eaters.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:51:45

At 5/8/15 07:38 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: I believe I watched one or two episodes on adultswim in the past. I'll definitely give that show a chance. From I remember the animations are batshit insane.

Yeah that whole thing is one big weird ADDfest (almost as bad as Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo...almost). Not that it's a bad thing.

This one has been talked about a lot, I remember this show showing up on Toonami when I was younger.

It's a very very good anime. And is consistently considered one of the best. It gets better when you watch the movie and have it lined up where it'd match the storyline of the anime.

Holy shit this show has so many characters and side-stories that I need to follow. I have to prepare myself if I want to go to the beginning and watch it. I seen random episodes of this show and no matter how much I try to make sense out of that show I get lost easily. But that doesn't mean I won't give it a chance. I will try it out when I get the chance.

Dude. If you end up watching the whole thing and going on after the anime is done I can guarantee that things will get more complicated storyline wise. Though things are starting to all come together to make the weird bits that haven't been 100% explained make sense. You don't necessarily have to watch the filler arcs. And personally they don't lend much to the series as a whole and you could probably skip like 100 episodes because of all of them. But the vast majority of the characters have really interesting backstories. And Aizen is about as overpowered as a villain can possibly get.
For example\/ dude can disintegrate people's body parts just being near them

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:55:22

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:55:29

At 5/8/15 07:53 PM, ZeroDown wrote: I think you can tell by my icon that I approve of your Gurren Lagann watching.

Watched every episode on Netflix and loved it. I really hope they have more in the future, I didn't want it to end.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 19:59:25

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-08 20:07:39

Macross / Macross DYRL / Macross Plus

(and Macross Frontier I guess)

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 02:26:12

At 5/8/15 07:46 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: WataMote is good. Go watch it now.

Finished watching it. I have mixed feelings about it. At the same time I love the character but feel like they should've sent a more bigger message towards the end. Overall its funny as hell and but I can't help but to sympathize the character for her struggles and yet somehow I still love it for what it is.

**SPOILER ALERT SORT OF!**

At least it didn't end in a cliched way where somehow the protagonist gets a miracle recognition or something. BUT I still think the message would've have been more bigger even though its a comedy.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 02:38:31

At 5/8/15 06:42 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Not a huge fan of anime but after watching Sword Art Online series and Gurren Lagann I kinda opened up my interests in the world of anime. I know there are some major anime fans on here so give me some suggestions of the anime shows I should watch next. It can be anything.

I'm not really big into anime anymore but I was when I was younger, and two of the very first animes I ever watched were the original Dragon Ball series (not to be confused with Dragon Ball Z, which is the continuation) and Mobile Suit Gundam.

Mobile Suit Gundam premiered in 1979, and the animated series (there was a manga before the anime) for Dragon Ball premiered in 1986. I think if you're just getting into anime, then these would probably be a good start since they pretty much laid down the foundation for all future animes, and were in fact, quite good.

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 05:38:47

DBZ
Ghost in the shell
Desert punk (adult humor anime in post apocalypse desert Japan)
Neon Genesis Evangallion
Cowboy bebop
Trigun
Speed Grapher
Gundam- word of advice watch the Universal Century in order its really good than spinoffs like G Gundam and Gundam Wing
Sailor moon its a classic
Yuyu hakusho
OUTLAW STAR

I'm a big fan of the serious anime's targeted for 18-40 year olds

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 05:46:12

At 5/10/15 02:30 AM, HomicidalDragon wrote: whatcha think of all metal alchemist

Full Metal Alchemist is cool, and one of the few animes I have seen on TV in the past ten years of my life.
Sad that I couldn't get into it because I wasn't allowed to stay up late at nights. From what I seen it's good.
But it's not my thing. I'd check it out for a friend's sake; just for something to talk about on their part.

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 05:52:26

At 5/10/15 05:38 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
Desert punk (adult humor anime in post apocalypse desert Japan)

Dude this is an anime I've been wanting to scope out for years. I saw it in a magazine one day, and been curious since.
I heard it's good.

Sailor moon its a classic

I used to watch the shit out of this anime because my sister was in to it. Did you hear that it got a reboot? I wasn't aware of this until yesterday.

i totally forget everything about Sailor Moon now but I remember it was packed with some gnarly action scenes.

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 08:13:33

Here's what I can recommend:

Trigun - Basically a "western" that is set up in deep future on a mostly desert planet.

Kenran Butousai - This one is kinda like an underwater version of Gundam if I remember correctly.

If you like gorefest with zombies on top of it, you can take a look at these titles:
Hellsing OVA series (mainly vampires, but zombies are also largely present)
Highschool of the Dead (Zombie Apocalypse)
Maybe "Berserk" too, but I haven't watch it myself yet, so I can't say anything about it. I heard it's awesome though.

if you're seeking for something cute, I'd recommend Lucky Star or K-On.

Welcome to NHK - This anime is about a hikkikomori and how he tries to fix his life and get back to society.

Interstella 5555 - A feature-length anime based on "Discovery" album by Daft Punk. It's a story about an alien pop band that was kidnapped by an earthling.

And that's what I can mention right off the bat...

If Friendship is truly Magic, then I'm little more than a muggle in this regard...

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 11:15:10

At 5/8/15 07:46 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: WataMote is good. Go watch it now.

I kinda felt like Watamote was a bit bland at first. Still only watched the first episode. Does it get better a few episodes in?

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 11:35:08

At 5/10/15 05:52 AM, Ketchemonia wrote: Dude this is an anime I've been wanting to scope out for years. I saw it in a magazine one day, and been curious since.
I heard it's good.

you can watch it on any stream site for free. its really good.

I used to watch the shit out of this anime because my sister was in to it. Did you hear that it got a reboot? I wasn't aware of this until yesterday.

yeah theres a updated version in HD with updated music and a completely new one in its original shojo manga format they have really long legs.

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 13:49:07

I really wanted to get into Evangelion but it began so cliche. I know that it's one of those bait-and-switch anime where it turns from a generic mecha anime into mental health issues and heavy religious symbolism but honestly I can't make it that far.

Ghost in the Shell is pretty dope, definitely one of the most adult anime I've seen. I really need to finish 2nd Gig... Eventually. Same as Steins;Gate. Very interesting shows, both of them.

At 5/10/15 05:38 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Speed Grapher

Cool, someone mentioned this. I liked Speed Grapher a lot but it dragged on like crazy toward the end. Should have been wrapped up in 12 episodes.

At 5/10/15 12:15 PM, Vinnyy wrote: The anime sucked, just like Claymore and Gantz. If you really want to get into these series, then read the manga instead. It's much better. The thing that I've noticed is that most seinen series tend to have very disappointing anime adaptations.

I happened to really like Gantz but I also noticed a shitload of blunders that I figured wouldn't have been present in the manga. I feel like I'll probably never get around to reading it though. I've had a lot of people list Black Lagoon, Deadman Wonderland, or Code Geass as being cynical but in my opinion none of them came even close to the ruthlessly hateable characters of Gantz. Although I do like Black Lagoon.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 13:52:15

I hate Sword Art Online. All Shonen Anime is shit. Too much fanservice, too predictable, the heroes never lose, the plot is repetitive, etc.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 13:53:45

Death Parade is new and really good, Zankyo no Terror is amazing for how many episodes it is; Inuyasha is really fun if you like getting into characters and their motivations.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 14:00:15

At 5/10/15 08:13 AM, AoiShinigami wrote: Here's what I can recommend:
Interstella 5555 - A feature-length anime based on "Discovery" album by Daft Punk. It's a story about an alien pop band that was kidnapped by an earthling.

I totally seen that because I'm a huge Daft Punk fan. I love the timing in the music and everything in that movie.

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-10 15:35:31

Also Rurouni Kenshin

At 5/10/15 05:38 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Trigun
OUTLAW STAR

How'd I forget about these?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to I think I'm getting into Anime now 2015-05-11 09:28:42

cory in the house is the best.

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Knights of Sidonia was a pretty good anime for this decade ,Though to be honest the CG animation did put me off a bit from the first episode
Really loved the shit out of Fist of the North Star.
Maybe you'll like Astro boy too but it's cartoonish style may put you off