00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BWWAA-LORD-OF-DUCKS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you get critiques?

1,034 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you get critiques? 2015-05-08 11:13:39

Hey all,

I'm relatively new here, and I love the apparent sense of community. I'd been looking for place to discuss music and various other projects and hopefully get some good critiques so I can identify things to work on. Since joining, I've attempted to be a contributing member by listening to other people's work and chiming in/rating when I feel it's appropriate. I try to do the same with movies. Unfortunately these efforts have never been reciprocated. My tracks have been downloaded a handful of times it seems, but it's not the same as actual feedback which I can use to grow as a musician. I'm not really upset over this matter as much as I'm polling the community to see if there's something I could be doing to solicit more constructive criticism. If it really is a matter of just posting and waiting, so be it. I just get the sneaky suspicion that I'm somehow doing it wrong. I do want community. I don't want to be an asshole. This is not about ego. It's about wanting to get better at what I do.

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!

At 5/8/15 11:13 AM, sleepFacingWest wrote: Hey all,

I'm relatively new here, and I love the apparent sense of community. I'd been looking for place to discuss music and various other projects and hopefully get some good critiques so I can identify things to work on.

First off, welcome to the audio forum! You've certainly found the right place to do just that. :)

So, I'm going to suggest a few things that might be of some help to you. The key to joining any community, in my opinion at least, is to just throw yourself into the madness: join discussions, talk with others, share what you know -- essentially, just participate. All while being polite, of course.

Now, there are a ton of ways you can go about that. More specifically, you can check out the 'Review for Review' thread (or R4R) -- this is certainly a means to have your tracks reviewed. All you have to do is review a track that is listed, and then post a track of your own making that you would like to have reviewed. Just be sure to read through the initial post and rules first!

You can also participate in any contests/events that the audio forum holds, as this is a good way to meet others and receive constructive criticism. A good example is the NGADM (Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch). It's an annual competition where hundreds of talented musicians from all over the place compete and have fun, but most importantly: for the ultimate prize of eternal life. Just a friendly warning though...beware of raccoons. There are plenty of other contests, too. So keep your eyes peeled for those. In fact, one is taking place right now!

Other than that, really strive to keep listening to the music of others. Keep listening, keep leaving reviews, and don't be afraid to send a friendly message to those artists whose tracks you've reviewed -- just try not to solicit often or in a heavy-handed way. Who knows, you might make some great friends here (I'm sure you will).

Hopefully, this is of some help to you. Best of luck sleepFacingWest! :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get critiques? 2015-05-08 15:29:06

I don't fully understand the point anymore of actively seeking people to talk bad about songs I made. I trust myself more than others in terms of critique. If you're dying for feedback pm someone like a similar musician and ask what they think.

Response to How do you get critiques? 2015-05-08 16:20:29

At 5/8/15 03:29 PM, Dubsyn wrote: I don't fully understand the point anymore of actively seeking people to talk bad about songs I made. I trust myself more than others in terms of critique. If you're dying for feedback pm someone like a similar musician and ask what they think.

I'm not looking for people to trash talk. I just want people to share expertise. I've learned a lot about adjusting instrument velocities and expression automation to make virtual instruments sound more realistic from critiques. Back in the day when I wanted to learn how to make bass sound fatter in a track someone suggested boosting the upper overtones of the bass sound instead of actually trying to bump the bass up. These are all tricks that were suggested as constructive criticism. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I don't get offended by people offering help. At the end of the day, I decide what suggestions to take and what to ignore. It's often helpful just to have a fresh set of ears.

Response to How do you get critiques? 2015-05-08 23:20:28

At 5/8/15 04:20 PM, sleepFacingWest wrote:
I'm not looking for people to trash talk. I just want people to share expertise.

ok

Oh, thanks for posting sleepFacingWest, it reminded me I actually forgot to give some feedback after downloading one of your tracks. I just sent you a PM about this. ;)

Sentient-ish thingy that likes making music. | My audio submissions | My Youtube channel

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get critiques? 2015-05-09 10:54:21

We at the Review Request Club would always be happy to give you some useful and constructive critisism :).

Just a random idiot

Response to How do you get critiques? 2015-05-09 13:03:05

At 5/9/15 08:29 AM, Ylmir wrote: Oh, thanks for posting sleepFacingWest, it reminded me I actually forgot to give some feedback after downloading one of your tracks. I just sent you a PM about this. ;)

Thanks Ylmir! I got your message and you have a good point. I'm going to experiment a bit!