00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive

902 Views | 11 Replies

New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 14:07:07

Will work in space

From the iO9 article:

Last year, NASA’s advanced propulsion research wing made headlines by announcing the successful test of a physics-defying electromagnetic drive, or EM drive. Now, this futuristic engine, which could in theory propel objects to near-relativistic speeds, has been shown to work inside a space-like vacuum.

NASA Eagleworks made the announcement quite unassumingly via NASASpaceFlight.com. There’s also a major discussion going on about the engine and the physics that drives it at the site’s forum.

The EM drive is controversial in that it appears to violate conventional physics and the law of conservation of momentum; the engine, invented by British scientist Roger Sawyer, converts electric power to thrust without the need for any propellant by bouncing microwaves within a closed container. So, with no expulsion of propellant, there’s nothing to balance the change in the spacecraft’s momentum during acceleration. Hence the skepticism.

The trouble with this theory, however, is that it might not work in a closed vacuum. After last year’s tests of the engine, which weren’t performed in a vacuum, skeptics argued that the measured thrust was attributable to environmental conditions external to the drive, such as natural thermal convection currents arising from microwave heating.

The recent experiment, however, addressed this concern head-on, while also demonstrating the engine’s potential to work in space.

Implications of the drive:

It’s still early days, but the implications are mind-boggling to say the least. A full-fledged EM drive could be used on everything from satellites working in low Earth orbit, to missions to the Moon, Mars, and the outer solar system.

EM drives could also be used on multi-generation spaceships for interstellar travel. A journey to Alpha Centauri, which is “just” 4.3 light-years away, suddenly wouldn’t be so daunting. An EM drive working under a constant one milli-g acceleration would propel a ship to about 9.4% the speed of light, resulting in a total travel time of 92 years. But that’s without the need for deceleration; should we wish to make a stop at Alpha Centauri, we’d have to add another 38 years to the trip. Not a big deal by any extent of the imagination.

Here are the direct quotes from the NASA forum.

[T]he EM Drive’s thrust was due to the Quantum Vacuum (the quantum state with the lowest possible energy) behaving like propellant ions behave in a MagnetoHydroDynamics drive (a method electrifying propellant and then directing it with magnetic fields to push a spacecraft in the opposite direction) for spacecraft propulsion.

The NASASpaceflight.com group has given consideration to whether the experimental measurements of thrust force were the result of an artifact. Despite considerable effort within the NASASpaceflight.com forum to dismiss the reported thrust as an artifact, the EM Drive results have yet to be falsified.

After consistent reports of thrust measurements from EM Drive experiments in the US, UK, and China – at thrust levels several thousand times in excess of a photon rocket, and now under hard vacuum conditions – the question of where the thrust is coming from deserves serious inquiry.

And the link to the article posted on the NASA forum:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/...stic-em-drive/

This is great news! And it works in a vacuum! They also said that practical applications are still 50 years away. But my point is. Humanity NEEDS something like this, within the next 100 years or we run the risk of going extinct.

The idea to have the ability of a impulse engine, as what most trekkies call it, to zip about the inner solar system. Is a BIG game changer. We now have the ability to harvest asteroids to build up our soon to be space faring infrastructure. :) Mankind just might make it to the stars after all!

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:18:07

You know, it is a shame that this has a chance to be a remarkable breakthrough for mankind, and pave the wave for our species to make it...yet no one. Is gonna comment on it. I guess, the spammers win, and Newgrounds is truly dead.

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:22:48

I was at work. I'll read the rest of the article. Thanks for sharing.

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:25:07

At 5/1/15 07:22 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: sounds like nerd sh*t to me. prove me wrong

--supergandhi64

Here's the best summary I've seen. http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/...stic-em-drive/

Last summer, NASA Eagleworks – an advanced propulsion research group led by Dr. Harold “Sonny” White at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) – made waves throughout the scientific and technical communities when the group presented their test results on July 28-30, 2014, at the 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference in Cleveland, Ohio.

Those results related to experimental testing of an EM Drive – a concept that originated around 2001 when a small UK company, Satellite Propulsion Research Ltd (SPR), under Roger J. Shawyer, started a Research and Development (R&D) program.

in 2010, Prof. Juan Yang in China began publishing about her research into EM Drive technology, culminating in her 2012 paper reporting higher input power (2.5kW) and tested thrust (720mN) levels of an EM Drive.

In 2014, Prof. Yang’s papers reported extensive tests involving internal temperature measurements with embedded thermocouples.

So even if we discount SPR's testing (since it was done by Shawyer), there are two other labs (Eagleworks and Prof Yang in China) that have shown similar results. Eagleworks are the only ones to test in a hard vacuum so far, and they will supposedly be testing a higher powered magnetron EM Drive later this year. I believe Eagleworks is also planning to have 3 independent research teams do their own testing.

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:25:18

sounds to me like there is already a forum for nerds to discuss this hot new nerd sh*t

At 5/1/15 07:22 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: sounds like nerd sh*t to me. prove me wrong

--supergandhi64

I built a similar engine for my space cruiser 2 years back. The science behind it is solid. And earthrise is pretty damn spectacular from the moon at night.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:35:31

At 5/1/15 07:27 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: great but can you use it to kill nerds

--supergandhi64

You mean like yourself?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 19:46:45

At 5/1/15 07:36 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: shut up retard. no one was talking to you

--supergandhi64

You're one to talk.
But then again. At least I'm not a nerd.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 20:59:13

At 5/1/15 07:40 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote: How's your daughter?

What the fuck, whhhyy? In context, you are infamous. Why??

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 21:17:14

At 5/1/15 07:40 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote: How's your daughter?

Not cool.
Leave Newgrounds.

Let us wallow in the filth of the void clinging to one another.

Formerly Schizo-sephy.

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 21:40:01

guys l, they're still only talking about 9.4% the speed of light. that's great for little satellites and rover missions, things we tinker with here at home, but that's nowhere near fast enough for interstellar travel. realistically, we're probably going to be stuck here for at least a thousand years. that's not a random number, that's Michio Kaku's words.

Response to New Test suggests NASA's EM Drive 2015-05-01 22:12:31

At 5/1/15 09:40 PM, Cool-Points wrote: guys l, they're still only talking about 9.4% the speed of light. that's great for little satellites and rover missions, things we tinker with here at home, but that's nowhere near fast enough for interstellar travel. realistically, we're probably going to be stuck here for at least a thousand years. that's not a random number, that's Michio Kaku's words.

Think of this as a impulse drive ala Star Trek, this would work wonders for inner solar system and asteroid mining.