00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spacedoodles just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What's with the spam bots lately?

2,898 Views | 35 Replies

Response to What's with the spam bots lately? 2015-05-10 06:14:40

At 5/10/15 06:04 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: You know that a lot of other forums have report features, right? It's built into a lot of forum software.

Well this is bespoke software, so it'd have to be written into it.

At 5/10/15 06:14 AM, liljim wrote:
At 5/10/15 06:04 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: You know that a lot of other forums have report features, right? It's built into a lot of forum software.

That's true, but I was referring to the problem he proposed of supposedly being bombarded with notifications from asshats abusing the feature. I doubt it would be as big a problem as he thinks.

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to What's with the spam bots lately? 2015-05-10 07:00:44

It may be a nuisance to some users but you can just ignore the spam threads. No harm will be done.

I doubt there is a way to detect them if the accounts are created by actual humans. Report feature is not really necessary since those threads would be removed shortly and hardly any one would click into those threads.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

I was reading this article about these shady companies selling manual captcha-reading services, so you could very well be right about it being real people.

For the actual bots, though, what do you think of something like this? These animated captchas would probably throw off bots trained to read static images and they're still pretty readable IMO. Maybe something like that could help cut down on the spam without being too much of a hindrance for new users.

Response to What's with the spam bots lately? 2015-05-10 07:19:19

At 5/10/15 06:48 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:
At 5/10/15 06:14 AM, liljim wrote:
That's true, but I was referring to the problem he proposed of supposedly being bombarded with notifications from asshats abusing the feature. I doubt it would be as big a problem as he thinks.

Oh I see.

Well we probably get around 30 or so per day in the forums and the majority of them are taken care of reasonably quickly. Some slip through, @CGA-999 messaged me about one that was nearly a week old last night.

Eventually I'd like to globalise the whistles, so they apply to every section of the site. So they'd integrate with the forums, user profiles, back into the portal and audio portal, etc. That'd balance users who report genuine problems vs those who report everything and whose powers of summoning content to moderator's attention is put to the bottom of the list until they up their game. But that's a way off happening.

Response to What's with the spam bots lately? 2015-05-10 07:49:24

At 5/10/15 07:19 AM, liljim wrote: Well we probably get around 30 or so per day in the forums and the majority of them are taken care of reasonably quickly.

They must be, my guess was WAY lower than that

At 5/10/15 07:19 AM, liljim wrote: Some slip through, @CGA-999 messaged me about one that was nearly a week old last night.

I used to do a nightly Pacific Timezone round-up and PM a list of links to whoever was on, but now I just stick to the ones that slip by.

At 5/10/15 07:19 AM, liljim wrote: Eventually I'd like to globalise the whistles, so they apply to every section of the site. So they'd integrate with the forums, user profiles, back into the portal and audio portal, etc. That'd balance users who report genuine problems vs those who report everything and whose powers of summoning content to moderator's attention is put to the bottom of the list until they up their game. But that's a way off happening.

That is what I was thinking of, I hadn't considered the whistle priority thing though, that might mitigate some of the problems that @DJ-Ri was concerned about.

At 5/10/15 07:00 AM, Sobolev wrote: It may be a nuisance to some users but you can just ignore the spam threads. No harm will be done.

Well, except to people who are phished/get malware from them, and to Newgrounds for getting the bad rep of being full of scammers.

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature