00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tricks your parents used on you?

1,441 Views | 27 Replies

What were tricks or stories your parents laid on you so you wouldn't do something (for example)?

Really bad at explaining the topic so I have an example:
When I was around 6, my parents used to tell me that at night there would be a ghost waiting behind the bedroom door waiting for me. Probably so I wouldn't leave my room at night when I had to sleep

What did your parents do/say to convince you not to do something?

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 11:01:03

If I stayed in the bathtub and splashed around too much, the water police would come knocking.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 11:03:59

Much the same thing really, except my mother used to tell me that the devil was roaming the hallway at night, i was about 4 or 5 at the time. Joke was on her though, since she had to wash my sheets everyday for the next three years since i was too scared to go to the bathroom

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 11:10:02

They told me I was their child. Turns out I'm their slave.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 11:21:10

At 4/28/15 10:53 AM, klompors wrote: When I was around 6, my parents used to tell me that at night there would be a ghost waiting behind the bedroom door waiting for me.
At 4/28/15 11:03 AM, FoAngel wrote: my mother used to tell me that the devil was roaming the hallway at night, i was about 4 or 5 at the time

Jesus.

My mum told my sister that the more sun cream you wore, the more you would tan. Grizzly stuff, yeah.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 11:40:05

That I would get paid for getting good grades. I would being home straight A's and never get a cent.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 13:02:34

The ol' 'eyes in the back of my head' trick.

Did it fuck me up?

A definite maybe.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 14:18:35

They reasoned. When their reasoning surpassed mine, I complied.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 14:29:46

At 4/28/15 02:18 PM, satanbrain wrote: They reasoned. When their reasoning surpassed mine, I complied.

Pretty much this, i don't think my mom ever had a reason to trick me into believing something.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 14:37:04

Getting a hair cut by family when I was 5-6, they would tell me...do not move! Ill cut your ear off!! Quite morbid if you think about it lool

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 16:30:07

At 4/28/15 10:53 AM, klompors wrote: What were tricks or stories your parents laid on you so you wouldn't do something (for example)?

Really bad at explaining the topic so I have an example:
When I was around 6, my parents used to tell me that at night there would be a ghost waiting behind the bedroom door waiting for me. Probably so I wouldn't leave my room at night when I had to sleep

What did your parents do/say to convince you not to do something?

Is that here the children matinee ? ^^

Sorry, no offence, but, own my childhood was ending before ca. 30 years. But, I think I know what you ask, also when it is hard to say.

As I was a child, my parents (or better, only my mother, because my parents was divorced after one year from my birth and so, he was nothing existed for me) doesn't have tell me nonsense or fairy tales that I make that or this not or I must do something.

If you ask me personal, I guess it is a big mistake to treat the own child so (only how child). Also when a child is no finished personality, a child is not dull. And especially when I see how children adore me today - here the joke is, I doesn't want that anyhow really ^^ -, then I notice, the reason is, I treat they like adults.

If you be to a child very normal and show him understanding and also respect in this way, you speak to him so, want from him not more as you are self ready to do. And let it work for a favor, then you help him more as only make him true for free all his wishes and with a lot of gifts, attentions.

That was the treating my mother was to me, I have early learn to be self assured, and I have fast learn that mostly the world give you only what back, if you are ready to give what before. Above all, It is also no crime to let children work. So long it is more like a play for they. So long they have fun and find it interesting, then they are from self ready to do more.

Also when you let the child often help you, you involve the child in all your usual things to do every day, even when you change the roles and you ask your child for a advice. And I guranteed, some parents would be then surprised, how smart the child is already. So much, you can achieve a lot without anytime to be violent or to rigorous.

Child's and teenager are young adults, also when they try to test her own borders. And yours, for what you let without one penalty when is was wrong. But also what with rewards for good results.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 22:18:24

boy sit your ass down before I beat the shit out of you.

too bad they weren't tricks though

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 22:36:30

Besides santa clause, they were pretty much straight up about everything

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 23:21:19

That NG was a good place. They started telling me to get off the site when I was 17, but then I just moved out. lol

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 23:51:21

At 4/28/15 11:33 PM, Shauna wrote: Also, "hey Shauna, sniff my dashboard, it smells like mangoes!" "OK!" *slams on breaks*

So is brain damage your problem? Or what...

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-28 23:56:28

That good thing happen to good people. Normally, terrible things happen to good people.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 00:17:15

I vaguely remember one. My mom said there was a giant spider living inside of my throat. If I did not maintain good dental health, it will come out and attack me, or something like that. What a strange thing to say.

Oh hai.

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 00:52:44

My mom used a metal leg from a broken telescope to make me change my mind about not doing my homework.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 00:55:10

I developed the ability to discern between behavioral tactic and real discipline at a very young age, thus I was never duped and rather spoke to in long discussions

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 01:17:20

my mom told me a headless priest riding a train would come out from the open wounds i get while playing.

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 01:54:23

Most often, monsters.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-04-29 02:54:55

At 4/28/15 11:20 AM, Sekhem wrote: my mom stayed in her bedroom, smoked weed, drank wine, and read books all day

it tricked me into not being a worthless person like her

Serious props to you, man. That's a lot to put up with as a kid especially. I dunno what I'd do in that situation.

My parents never really needed to trick me to do things. There was the tooth fairy and santa stuff but after a short while I just wasn't exactly dumb enough to fall for their shit. I was pretty obedient anyway so

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-01 18:56:31

My parents managed to convince me that their bong was an old smokestack from a steam train. The worst part is that I believed this for, like, four years.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-03 15:24:05

At 4/29/15 02:45 AM, Sekhem wrote:
At 4/29/15 01:24 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 4/28/15 11:20 AM, Sekhem wrote: my mom stayed in her bedroom, smoked weed, drank wine, and read books all day
Your mom sounds awesome !
yeah, she's a real winner ... etc.

And maybe she looks also ? ^^

@Sekhem, you have a picture from your own mother ? ^^

Except the weed, I think, I would like your mom, smile ^^

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-03 15:45:58

At 5/3/15 03:34 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 5/3/15 03:24 PM, EGeraldhuebner wrote: @Sekhem, you have a picture from your own mother ? ^^

Except the weed, I think, I would like your mom, smile ^^
i definitely don't have a photo of her

i haven't even seen her since i was in high school (it'll be a full decade next year)

i don't have any idea if she's even still alive

she tried to defraud her own mother (and no, i don't know why - our family has always done well and she's never even had to work in her life)

our family just tries to forget that she exists

Thank you @Sekhem ... who unfortunately doesn't want my explain to the movie "Michael" with John Travolta ... tears. ^^

It was a joke, okay buddy. You know that also. And I hope you have a normal relationship to your mother like myself also.

Because, normally (what means is your mom no real devilish woman, and she have love her own children so it is usual the point) a real mother will be always a mother.

A father can be sometimes only such one biological person who has spending you life. Some see that other and love the father more, what is also totally normal, okay.

I understand your thinking and opinion, but so long she is alive, I give you the advice, speak with all people so long you have the chance for it. Because, when they die, then you will ask yourself maybe sometimes, shit, better I have done that as it was time.

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-03 16:03:50

Nothing except the usual things to keep us well-behaved like the Bonhomme Sept Heure ('seven hour man' in english). He's basically the boogeyman and he would get you if you weren't sleeping in bed past 7pm, hence the name. Isn't it strange that your parents don't give a flying fuck about some serial killer stalking their child?

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-03 16:35:50

one time they paid money for seashells i found on the seashore played those marks hard

Response to Tricks your parents used on you? 2015-05-03 16:45:27

my parents banned me from playing videogames or watching tv everytime I got D's and F's but that didn't make me study anymore.