00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FizzxClass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cyber bullying study

2,711 Views | 47 Replies

Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 09:23:50

Hello,

Firstly apologies if this post is not allowed, I did read the forum rules - but saw nothing about posting surveys.

I am looking for participants to take part in a short 15-20 minute survey about cyber bullying, online experiences and digital technology. Anybody can participate. The survey is being run by Dr Betts and myself from Nottingham Trent University, Division of Psychology. It has received full ethical approval from the Business, Law and Social Science's College Research Ethics Committee at Nottingham Trent University.

Further details about the study are provided on the first page of the link, but if you have any questions please PM me or contact Dr Betts using the contact details provided at the beginning and end of the survey.

Many thanks in advance to those who complete the study, it is much appreciated.

Here is the link: https://ntupsychology.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/cyberexperiences

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 10:01:41

A survey about cyber bullying? On NewGrounds? I'm not sure if you've come to the right place or the wrong place.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 11:12:31

At 4/28/15 10:01 AM, icecreammac wrote: A survey about cyber bullying? On NewGrounds? I'm not sure if you've come to the right place or the wrong place.

We are looking for anybody to complete the survey who uses the internet (as long as they are aged 18+).

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 11:40:41

At 4/28/15 11:12 AM, sarahevelyn wrote:
At 4/28/15 10:01 AM, icecreammac wrote: A survey about cyber bullying? On NewGrounds? I'm not sure if you've come to the right place or the wrong place.
We are looking for anybody to complete the survey who uses the internet (as long as they are aged 18+).

Hi, hope your survey is going well.

I was wondering why you thought 18+ is a suitable demographic for your survey. I would have thought that cyberbullying mostly affected individuals who were under 18 years of age, due to their naivety and generally being more sensitive.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 11:55:17

At 4/28/15 11:40 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4/28/15 11:12 AM, sarahevelyn wrote:
Hi, hope your survey is going well.

I was wondering why you thought 18+ is a suitable demographic for your survey. I would have thought that cyberbullying mostly affected individuals who were under 18 years of age, due to their naivety and generally being more sensitive.

Hello - this is a very good question.
We have conducted previous research exploring cyber bullying in younger people. The reason this study is focused on 18+ is for several reasons. Firstly, a lot less is known about CB in adults, including it's occurrence. Secondly, for ethical reasons we are unable to collect data online from under 18's as we need parental/guardian permission. Hope this answers your question!

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 12:05:20

Cyber bullying is serious business.

Cyber bullying study

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 12:14:26

I expected the study purpose would be to teach cyberbullying. If that was so, you would've come to the right place.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 12:52:56 (edited 2015-04-28 12:54:32)

Well, this seems legitimate enough.

So, where else are you guys putting this survey around?

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 13:12:52

At 4/28/15 12:52 PM, ThePulp wrote: Well, this seems legitimate enough.

So, where else are you guys putting this survey around?

The survey is also being posted on other popular forums in order to capture a wide audience of internet users.

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 13:15:44

At 4/28/15 01:12 PM, sarahevelyn wrote:
At 4/28/15 12:52 PM, ThePulp wrote: So, where else are you guys putting this survey around?
The survey is also being posted on other popular forums in order to capture a wide audience of internet users.

Be wary, then.

popular forums

Also, the people around here have somehow gotten it through their heads that this place is obscure and 'dying'-- it's a recurring theme on this board, for sure.

So, it's nice to know a researcher thinks of this place as popular.

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 13:23:06

At 4/28/15 12:05 PM, Bit wrote: Cyber bullying is serious business.

Ninja'd me. Gets me everytime.

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:02:38

ive cyber bullied posters into not posting anymore and RL bullied people into going to a different school. PM me

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:14:21

I report cyberbullies to the cyberpolice so, yeah, watch out for that.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:15:11

At 4/28/15 04:02 PM, finicalprickle wrote: ive cyber bullied posters into not posting anymore and RL bullied people into going to a different school. PM me

Your mother must be so proud.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:26:32

At 4/28/15 04:14 PM, unreliablyinformed wrote: I report cyberbullies to the cyberpolice so, yeah, watch out for that.

I hope you report them to the state police, too.

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:29:24

At 4/28/15 04:26 PM, Bit wrote:
At 4/28/15 04:14 PM, unreliablyinformed wrote: I report cyberbullies to the cyberpolice so, yeah, watch out for that.
I hope you report them to the state police, too.

What happens on the internet stays on the internet! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 16:30:43

Depends on whether you prefer giving or receiving.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 17:14:30

I wish cyberbullying didn't become so well known, not due to it making it easier to help people against it because that of course is good..........
....BUT SERIOUSLY STOP MAKING FUCKING MOVIES ABOUT IT! THEY ARE SHIT! SO FUCKING SHIT!
Why the fuck did someone think a movie about a girl getting cyberbullied until she killed herself THEN came back as a fucking SKYPE GHOST and killed people on SKYPE CALLS was a good thing? People screaming at a camera for ages and having absolutely no actual quality or thought or care in the slightest to make a shit movie about shit. Seriously!

Stop making shit cyberbullying movies, k? thanks!

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 17:31:10

At 4/28/15 05:16 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: i've filled it out. my emotions have been destroyed by real life experiences so i'm anomalistically numb, and i no longer have school and do not yet have work for my experiences to interfere with, but nonetheless i hope i helped..

Thank you for completing the survey. No worries if the questions do not directly relate to you (such as not being at school or in work), as long as they are answered to best of your ability, and truthfully then that's great.
However, I have taken note of your feedback.

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 17:48:05 (edited 2015-04-28 18:01:48)

Where's the "occasionally" option? I've had to put "sometimes" to describe events that have only happened once in my entire life. The frequency options just aren't granular enough -- although you probably can't change that now without invalidating the data you've already collected.

What's the practical difference between "insulting" and "nasty"? The survey badly needs some text for delineation.

I also think that gore probably loses its effect when sent through a text message.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 18:17:17 (edited 2015-04-28 18:19:27)

Did I get the right answers?

By the way, I didn't bother printing the page at the end because I'm a rebel. Fuck your instructions. You're not my mother.

Cyber bullying study

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 18:43:42

Thing that interests me is when you talk with people online and they talk shit to you and act all big but when you meet them in real life they run scared like little mice, there was one guy that tried to turn a whole social group against me and my fella because I refused to go out with him. Went to my first Lan and that guy was literally running the opposite direction every time he saw either me or my fella, was even funnier when he tripped and fell over.

Alas there are people and will feel more free talking to others through a screen and can say what ever they want without any direct consequence to their actions, but most wouldn't be as free if you talked to them face to face.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 19:26:54

"lets conduct a study on teens' inability to utilize the 'block' button."

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 21:13:55

At 4/28/15 09:11 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: the block button is cruel and unusual punishment.

you're cutting someone's freedom of expression every time you press it. nobody should have the right to exercise that power.

inability to ignore? perhaps. inability to use the block button? why?

how cruel to cut off ways for people to harass one another!

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 21:14:46

At 4/28/15 09:11 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/28/15 07:26 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote: "lets conduct a study on teens' inability to utilize the 'block' button."
the block button is cruel and unusual punishment.

you're cutting someone's freedom of expression every time you press it. nobody should have the right to exercise that power.

inability to ignore? perhaps. inability to use the block button? why?

Please provide a full list of your current medications so I can avoid all of them.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 21:28:32

Bullying is immoral for it not only inflicts psychical abuse on some occasions but coupled along with traumatized psychological portfolios makes it most heinous and warrants incarceration

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 21:33:39

At 4/28/15 09:25 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/28/15 09:13 PM, toxicdevil93 wrote:
how cruel to cut off ways for people to harass one another!
especially if they dont know they're harrassing you. i'm serious.

Don't be a dumbass. If someone is insulting/sexually harassing someone else, you think they should not be blocked?

How about if someone messages someone claiming they've a desire to rape them, or perhaps they insult them and blackmail, etc.?

If you think the block button should not be in place there, you are simply put, a fucking idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 21:37:44

At 4/28/15 09:24 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/28/15 09:14 PM, unreliablyinformed wrote:
Please provide a full list of your current medications so I can avoid all of them.
that's not recommended. medication has different effects on different dna sequences..

still, if you insist.. i'm currently taking divalproex and some generic over the counter laxative i cant recall...

i also up until recently was taking guanfacine and sertraline in the morning but due to my erratic sleep schedule i stopped being able to take them.

again, i suggest you talk it over with your doctors.

If you had to take a shot in the dark, which would you say caused your retardation? I'm currently on SSRIs myself so I'm a little worried.

BBS Signature

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-28 22:20:42

At 4/28/15 06:49 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Is there such a thing as cyber rape?

Eventually.

A man can dream.

Response to Cyber bullying study 2015-04-29 02:38:22

At 4/29/15 02:21 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 4/29/15 02:03 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I think that was on purpose and I don't blame them.
i'm sorry to hear that you wish cancer upon me.

Heh.

Cancer.

It's hilarious.