00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HatofInquiry just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you think of anime dubs?

1,975 Views | 27 Replies

Well, a lot of people say anime dubbing sucks. But I think some animes actually do a good Job at it. Not all dubs are bad. It depends on the actor and the person in the story they are playing.

By the way everyone, I dubbed a anime today... It's 20 seconds long. It's my first time dubbing so tell me what you think of my voice acting. :p

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uGz5_I-IGGM

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:25:14

subs are much better

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:27:16

At 4/28/15 03:25 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: subs are much better

Oh :p

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:30:01

At 4/28/15 03:21 AM, ZE13 wrote: By the way everyone, I dubbed a anime today... It's 20 seconds long. It's my first time dubbing so tell me what you think of my voice acting. :p

I'm calling bullshit.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:37:45

At 4/28/15 03:30 AM, ThePulp wrote:
At 4/28/15 03:21 AM, ZE13 wrote: By the way everyone, I dubbed a anime today... It's 20 seconds long. It's my first time dubbing so tell me what you think of my voice acting. :p
I'm calling bullshit.

Awwwww man.. I did dub a anime

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:42:30

At 4/28/15 03:37 AM, ZE13 wrote:
At 4/28/15 03:30 AM, ThePulp wrote:
At 4/28/15 03:21 AM, ZE13 wrote: tell me what you think of my voice acting. :p
I'm calling bullshit.
Awwwww man.. I did dub a anime

Upon further inspection of the channel, it does add up that the channel may be yours.

Well-- the voice acting's alright, sound quality's good.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:50:40

your all pathetic

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 03:55:10

i'd rather subs than dubs. but then i agree that the original voice for goku kinda sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 05:35:28

I think studios are making more of an effort to do a good job with dubs nowadays. They really did suck back in the day(though I think Star Blazers has a certain charm).

Dubbing is for people too lazy or illiterate to read subtitles (i.e. Americans). That's why you guys are always remaking foreign films, right?

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 07:27:27

At 4/28/15 07:06 AM, unreliablyinformed wrote: That's why you guys are always remaking foreign films, right?

Yes.

That's it.

Holy shit you've figured us out.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 08:43:23

Really it all depends on the anime.

I've been learning Japanese little-by-little and I've been noticing more inaccuracies in subs. Crunchyroll is a serious offender of inaccurate subs.

Dragonball Z is terrible in Japanese. Only deluded indaviduals prefer this over this.

I like Zatch Bell, Digimon, and a few other anime dubbed, but I'd be lying if I said they were better in English.

I enjoy when dubs inject western jokes into the anime, since not all Japanese jokes translate well. The dub of Kill La Kill dropped the ball by not having Mako sing "highway to hell".

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 15:05:57

Not a fan of dubs, but seriously, the English dub for Dragon Ball Z is a huge favour to my ears. The voice when Goku screams in Japanese, my ears star bleeding

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 15:12:06

At 4/28/15 08:43 AM, Chdonga wrote: Dragonball Z is terrible in Japanese. Only deluded indaviduals prefer this over this.

I still prefer the old one where Goku says I won't let you get away with this.

But the Kai version sounds pretty good with this

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 15:19:10

At 4/28/15 03:05 PM, Gremlin wrote: Not a fan of dubs, but seriously, the English dub for Dragon Ball Z is a huge favour to my ears. The voice when Goku screams in Japanese, my ears star bleeding

Doesn't help that Goku's VA is a woman which tells you something. She was known for voicing little boys so it was understandable that they casted her in Dragonball, after that it gets kind of weird. Funny thing is that Raditz is the only male member of Goku's family who doesn't have that voice...

Let that roll in your head, even Bardock has that voice.

Krillin's VA was generally given a pass because she also voiced Luffy.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 15:30:06

What you gonna do when the federales roll up, they aimin for you hopin to control us
What you gonna do when the homies roll up, they have animosity and steal your Motorola
Curiosity for the ways a man can bleed, the judge wont budge even if you pray and plead
No rhyme and reason in the court of law, meanwhile the vile still crack your jaw to see
Internal warfare with indigenous intention, external warfare with indignant suppression
We put suppressors on our guns to stay silent, and we support same motto to promote violence
We move dope from island to island, to suppress our chance of life's excitement
Tell me who bears the noose of a death sentence, he or you who bruised your self with reckless mention

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 17:35:53

Hentai dubs are the best worst voiceacting in existence.

Sadly I lack links to such things.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 17:39:03

At 4/28/15 05:35 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Hentai dubs are the best worst voiceacting in existence.

I forget who posted this, but I felt this would back you up. Kinda wish I had some of dubbing from this one series, they didn't even bother sticking to the original script and if it was any more wooden, you could build a good boat out of it.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 17:54:41

At 4/28/15 05:39 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 4/28/15 05:35 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Hentai dubs are the best worst voiceacting in existence.

I forget who posted this, but I felt this would back you up. Kinda wish I had some of dubbing from this one series, they didn't even bother sticking to the original script and if it was any more wooden, you could build a good boat out of it.

Watch my dub! :p I've been trying to get a few people to watch my dub but only like 10 people did.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 18:20:08

I view this not from a personal standpoint, (I'm officially neutral, or try to be anyway) but from an overall standpoint that anime dubs (at least the English dubs) have been much better from when it was back in the 80's and early 90's. Granted, there are a decent number of bad dubs (mostly in Hentai, which big name VAs don't touch that stuff) and disappointments that are more script-writing faults than the actual VA themselves for a variety of reasons.

I don't have a problem with folks who like either sub over dub or vice versa, but where I get honestly agitated is where hardcore sub fanboys (who are probably weeaboos) say that all English dubs (Cowboy Bebop being an exception) are just like Speed Racer and all English VAs are hacks. Johnny Yong Bosch and Crispin Freeman would like a word with these dopes, and I would like to "discuss" the issue with them in the parking lot. (or at least over the Internet)

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-28 18:47:52

Honestly i think it depends on what your watching. Sword of the stranger was better subbed in my opinion because it had an ancient japan feel to it that when i watched the english version i didnt get. But in trigun or akira the dubs are equaly as good if not better. Akira in english makes it feel like its not some sci fi cartoon from japan and instead it feels like just some awesome action movie. Trigun just feels better in english, the jokes seem funnier.

BBS Signature

Personally, I prefer dubbed, but I can see why some people prefer subbed. I just happened to grow up with the only anime I watched being on Cartoon Network/Toonami or other channels that kids my age at the time would watch.

Also, can we all at least agree that Funimation dubs are amazing?

Oh, and Kill La Kill is best dub

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-29 18:46:35

I prefer to watch dubs personally, because I want to focus my attention on the art rather than read subtitles, but I'm alright with watching in subs. Sometime I watch subs because the dub is horrible, or because one main character has an impossibly annoying voice (or if it hasn't been dubbed yet).

(P.S. The sub/dub debate is stupid and unnecessary. Fans of the same anime are going to war because they watch the same tv show they love in a different way? Pffrt).

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-29 21:16:56

I enjoy dubs, wubs, pugs, tugboats in the midnight hour.

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-29 21:32:35

Dubs are honestly 4/5 of the time the best way to judge if one would like the anime at all, assuming it gets a dub. I'm all for animation getting dubbed over -- better that than live-action dubs.

I spend 50% of the time watching sub-only anime imagining how dialogue would be rearranged to fit the mouth flaps for an English dub.

BLM | ANTIFA

Life's a performance, so give it your all like it's your last show.

MINDCHAMBER DREW THE CAST FOR MY GAME WOW

BBS Signature

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-30 14:02:44

At 4/29/15 09:20 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote: Ur a girl right? I've read some of your stuff and you seem like a girl.

One of a handful of them on NG and yet you're all so disappointing.

yeah me felmale

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-30 14:05:45

Anime is despicable

Response to What do you think of anime dubs? 2015-04-30 17:52:32

I watch dubs more than subs because I find it a bit easier. However, I want to personally kill Leo's (yugioh 5d's) voice actor for making me rip my own ears out from cringing. Good god...

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art