00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

DoctorSpectre just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My Game Frame Lags

418 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Alright, over the past week I have been painfully trying to manage frame lag in my game and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I have two skin layers on my game

Foreground Skin = Things in front of the character and enemies

Background Skin = Things behind the character and enemies

How do I know that the lag is caused by the images rendering? Well, when I remove all the skins, the game doesn't lag at all.

My game is tile based. Precisely, all tiles are 60x60 in size. I tried cutting up background and foreground skins into 60x60 tiles. I tried grouping them all into one big image. I tried importing the image as a whole made from an image program. I tried resizing one 60x60 tile into a tiled pattern. I just don't know the correct way to handle images to minimise lag.

The background bricks are located in the Background Skins movieclip. All background decorations are located there and will appear behind the player and enemies.

The foreground bricks are located in the Foreground Skins movieclip. All foreground decorations are located there and will appear in front of the player and enemies.

TLDR: What would be the best way to reduce frame lag caused by bitmaps in my game?

My Game Frame Lags

Response to My Game Frame Lags 2015-04-17 07:00:13

At 4/16/15 04:20 PM, Arnas wrote: TLDR: What would be the best way to reduce frame lag caused by bitmaps in my game?

Hopefully someone comes along with better knowledge in this area to help you out. You could look into Adobe Scout...

Response to My Game Frame Lags 2015-04-17 09:08:49

How are you rendering the graphics?

If you're using the display list then I think it's unlikely that it's solely the graphics to blame - there doesn't seem to be a lot going on. Are you performing any logic per tile that runs every frame?