00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Civil Processor - Facebook

568 Views | 10 Replies

New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-07 14:06:39

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/07/facebook-divorce-is-a-new-level-of-awful.html?source=socialflow&via=twitter_page&account=thedailybeast&medium=twitter

It's sad to think that even navigating to the wrong page on Facebook can cause so much social disruption. Especially now that Facebook serves as a center for civil process.

Your virtual presence is now legally the same as your physical one.

I don't know how I feel about this...

BBS Signature

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-07 19:29:53

Facebook is a terrible venue for civil proces for many reasons. First off, it can't be goo for facebook to haev their community harbor the threat of being served whilst online.

Second, facebook doesn't seem to be an adequate source of civil process. Just as you can't be served over the phone, you shouldn't be able to be served over the interent. Now, if it comes as part of a larger service requirement such as direct mail, attempt at office/home service, and facebook, MAYBE.

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 07:33:58

At 4/7/15 07:29 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Facebook is a terrible venue for civil proces for many reasons. First off, it can't be goo for facebook to haev their community harbor the threat of being served whilst online.

Second, facebook doesn't seem to be an adequate source of civil process. Just as you can't be served over the phone, you shouldn't be able to be served over the interent. Now, if it comes as part of a larger service requirement such as direct mail, attempt at office/home service, and facebook, MAYBE.

If said crime was committed through Facebook, lets say harassment, then it MIGHT be a good venue for civil processing. Facebook itself is not a tool of the legal system.

BBS Signature

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 10:10:08

At 4/8/15 07:33 AM, injexen wrote: If said crime was committed through Facebook, lets say harassment, then it MIGHT be a good venue for civil processing. Facebook itself is not a tool of the legal system.

FYI, civil processing is for civil suits, not criminal prosecutions. A civil suit is where a private party sues someone.

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 10:19:57

At 4/8/15 10:10 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
FYI, civil processing is for civil suits, not criminal prosecutions. A civil suit is where a private party sues someone.

Should have had my cup of coffee first. Woops.

BBS Signature

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 11:51:45

wait you mean going on facebook to deliver court documents to be told I got served? how would that work hit them up on the chat and link them a PDF file of their paperwork?

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 11:57:16

At 4/8/15 11:51 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: how would that work hit them up on the chat and link them a PDF file of their paperwork?

That was my next question.

BBS Signature

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 12:55:35

At 4/8/15 11:51 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: wait you mean going on facebook to deliver court documents to be told I got served? how would that work hit them up on the chat and link them a PDF file of their paperwork?

Service doesn't involve paperwork. You merely have to inform the person being served of a few set details regarding the suit .

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 13:41:26

At 4/8/15 12:55 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Service doesn't involve paperwork. You merely have to inform the person being served of a few set details regarding the suit .

but don't they give you papers informing you?

Response to New Civil Processor - Facebook 2015-04-08 17:16:41

At 4/8/15 01:41 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but don't they give you papers informing you?

"Papers" in the form of a document with the proper iformation on it, yes. There is no uniform required service form. The reason they hand over paper during personal service is because paper leaves a paper trail and words do not. Them askin for a signature is only for their and the serving party's records, to prove they completed service.

At 4/8/15 05:16 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 4/8/15 01:41 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but don't they give you papers informing you?
"Papers" in the form of a document with the proper iformation on it, yes. There is no uniform required service form. The reason they hand over paper during personal service is because paper leaves a paper trail and words do not. Them askin for a signature is only for their and the serving party's records, to prove they completed service.

thats what I was asking I used the term paperwork for the documents with information on it, though I should have been a little more specific. totally my bad.