00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[OpenSource AS3 Engine] GameCheetah

535 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey everyone. I'm currently developing a free open source AS3 library for rapid prototyping of flash games. Similar to FlashPunk but also with a UI for doing some of the tedious tasks like graphics/animation management. I recently (just yesterday) released version 1.2a and would be disturbingly delighted if you could check it out.

My site is at www.gamecheetah.net

Demos are at www.gamecheetah.net/demos
Click on the Developer button to see GameCheetah library in action!

Also I'm planning on working on a fighting flash game in my spare time, if you're an artist who would be interested in making a game with me please msg me. Thank you all.

Response to [OpenSource AS3 Engine] GameCheetah 2015-04-09 21:08:03

At 4/9/15 03:33 PM, FlabbyFabby wrote: Looks cool. I will check it out.

How is it different to flixel or FlashPunk?

Why not do it in Haxe? Isnt that best to use in the long run? And can't Hace do everything As3 can?

I'm not trying to knock it in any way. Just trying to understand your choices.

Yep, it is different, otherwise I would have just used FlashPunk in the end. I started this project before I heard of Haxe, personally haven't had much experience in Haxe. I've been looking into OpenFL and might consider porting to Haxe if enough people are interested.

Flixel I think is geared more towards people who can create their own art as it's great for making certain types of games but not offer the tools to build your game from the ground up. I think FlashPunk is more geared towards programmers like me who like building their own Engines.

Personally I didn't feel Flashpunk powerful enough, it did not reduce the lines of code I wrote and does not offer much in terms templates like Flixel. Also, some of the backend things it does is too excessive imho, such as double-buffering, and pre-rendering of all images and waste a ton of memory while not giving significant performance boosts. My goal with this engine is to create a general purpose engine that allows people to share and reuse code they write to be used across many types of games, while giving significant optimized performance on desktop.

Just check out some of the code in my demos. Something like the SimpleButton or BoidObject can be used a wide number of games just by simply copying and pasting the code.

Yes, I published this a bit late in the game, and people are generally moving away from flash, but personally I feel Flash is still a much superior and mature technology than something like JavaScript.

Personally I feel I could hack out games much faster in GameCheetah than any other Engine, but coming from me it's a little bias XD