00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kawishinto just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Too Old To Be Creative ?

1,367 Views | 26 Replies

Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:31:05

Do you think there is an age limit to trying new things creatively ?

I'm 35, and I feel like I am unable to make any progress whenever I attempt to do something new creatively ( art, music, e.t.c. )

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:32:53

No I don't think so. There are many creative techniques that help with new ideas.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:34:19

I think it's just a matter of mixing natural talent, practice, and finding what's right for you.

I, for one, know I will never be a good artist. That's alright though because I'm pretty ok at building and sculpting, and also at writing when I actually apply myself

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:34:31

There ain't no such thing as being too old to be creative.
35 isn't that 'old' to begin with.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:35:38

There's no such thing. If you're at a creative impasse then you just need to find a new way to see things.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:44:25

Just don't force yourself. Let the creativity flow when it wants to.

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-30 23:59:04

Perhaps this is a case of a self fulfilling prophecy.

You foresee yourself having trouble so you do.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 00:02:47

I disagree actually. If you've built your life around rigid logic and routine with no creativity, you could potentially reach a point in your life where it would take longer to be creative than you have left to live. That age is definitely not 35 though. Chill out and explore, take what your mind gives you rather than trying to force it on something. Carry a little book around and jot/sketch ideas as they come to you throughout the day. Also, I'm not advocate of drugs, but I've seen some kickass art from dudes tripping on LSD. Just saying.

(>'-')>

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 00:41:13

At 3/30/15 11:49 PM, vixuzar wrote: Your age isn`t the limit, your imagination is.

This ^

The sky's the limit, anyway.

Just think of stuff, watch provocative material, expand your horizons-- go for a walk, meditate, or do drugs if any of those suggestions help at all at expanding your imagination.

I hear LSD and Psilocybin help with the creative process.
Also, when handling these two potent psychidelics, don't forget: Set and setting.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 00:41:32

At 3/31/15 12:02 AM, Zhon wrote: I disagree actually. If you've built your life around rigid logic and routine with no creativity, you could potentially reach a point in your life where it would take longer to be creative than you have left to live. That age is definitely not 35 though.

That's a good point. Not everyone is naturally creative.

I would like to add if you can't take criticism, then you cannot be creative. You will never get past kindergartner level.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 00:46:10

At 3/30/15 11:32 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: No I don't think so. There are many creative techniques that help with new ideas.

I agree. If there were such a limit, classical composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky would have never been able to realize some of their later works, and they clearly didn't tap out at 35. Same goes for artists and writers. Creativity of any kind takes enthusiasm and drive, as well as perseverance. You need a goal and the will to meet it -- whether that goal be abstract or concrete.

Chin up!

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 10:43:33

"You're never too old to be creative"
~ Zerodecoole, age 17

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 11:24:43

Age is only a number. It has no effect on anything.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 14:01:54

Age is only a number. It has no effect on anything.

im shure early onset dementia from a negligent lifestyle of using aluminum based deoderants and baked goods and cooking pans and baking sheets will certainly help the creative process... lol!

C C

the trolls king of kings

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 16:55:14

No, if age is utilized properly then your collective knowledge should expand enormously, with knowledge comes a certain understanding, with understanding comes concepts, with concepts come creativity

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 16:56:19

At 3/30/15 11:31 PM, RLS0812 wrote: I'm 35

Quit while you're ahead old timer, hur hurrrr :3

Seriously though, are you positive it's down to creativity or do you lose motivation if things are going slow?

Personally i find i've only grown more inclined to creative pursuits as the years have progressed, not to mention a lot keener on learning new things then when i was younger.

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 18:14:41

Try a different medium if the one you're currently using just doesn't get your juices flowing.

I bet if I picked up paper again I would draw up some pretty awesome creative shit.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 20:05:31

I'm 6 years younger than you and I know that feel. I think the trick is doing your think (be art, music, writing or whatever) not caring about the results or how other people will perceive it, and if you feel blocked just doodle or play or write some random shit , who knows, maybe something good comes from that.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 20:43:45

drop acid

Tweeter and the Monkey Man were hard-up for cash, they stayed up all night selling cocaine and hash.

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 21:01:36

I think as a general rule creativity flows through you as a kid because you're not stifling it with so much left-brain activity. Regularly engaging your right hemisphere will bring back that potential.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 21:04:30

At 3/30/15 11:31 PM, RLS0812 wrote: Do you think there is an age limit to trying new things creatively ?

I'm 35, and I feel like I am unable to make any progress whenever I attempt to do something new creatively ( art, music, e.t.c. )

I don't think there is an age limit. Creativity is also something that comes with practice as well.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 21:14:21

I do get scared of this sort of thing happening all the time. I'll have creative block now, and I'll be terrified of where I am when I'm 40. Will I be better than ever, or will I be sputtering along shamefully with crummy work?

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 21:37:26

No. 35 isn't even that old. Except on NG. Most of usare late teens to early/mid twenties.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 21:52:46

I knew bookmarking this would come in handy one day.

Innovation Grows Among Older Workers

It turns out that many of the most common stereotypes about aging are dead wrong. Take the cliché of the youthful entrepreneur. As it turns out, the average founder of a high-tech startup isn’t a whiz-kid graduate, but a mature 40-year-old engineer or business type with a spouse and kids who simply got tired of working for others,

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 22:22:45

If you've been tryin' to be creative for the past few years then buddy, creativity is not your strong suit.
You need to go back to building bridges or something or whatever you adults do.

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 22:38:19 (edited 2015-03-31 22:38:48)

At 3/30/15 11:31 PM, RLS0812 wrote: Do you think there is an age limit to trying new things creatively ?

Never too old to be creative, and there is no limit to the imagination. You just need that inspiration to by pass the artist block.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Too Old To Be Creative ? 2015-03-31 22:44:12

At 3/31/15 11:22 AM, SentForMe wrote: Well, I'm following you now @RLS0812. I'm expecting something cool in the next few months, so don't disappoint.

I added a link to my Deviant Art page, since the last flash I uploaded here was in 2004.
You may notice that I do not do a lot of art related stuff - most of my crap is photography .