00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PopiSlim just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in?

3,303 Views | 38 Replies

Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:25:03

What are your thoughts on it?

And do you care if your Newgrounds account is tied to your real name?

I haven't gone through with it yet, so I don't really know what to expect.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:29:18

Luis tried earlier when all the kinks weren't ironed out. He got logged in as another user. Monster-64 tried, and he got logged in a different user called TaxMaster, since deleted.

I haven't tried it simply because I don't have a Facebook or use Google+.

If I did, my real identify as a flesh eating grue would be revealed, and that would make dinner that much harder to catch.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:30:24

Magnificent no?

Sexy Yes? I would think so :3

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:45:49

At 3/24/15 06:25 PM, Painbringer wrote: What are your thoughts on it?

I don't use Facebook or Google+ and I don't care.

God yes. I wouldn't want anything about Newgrounds to be tied to my real name.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:52:08

I'm really hoping this will just remain an optional sign-in method and not a forced thing because that'd just be such bullshit if it was.

@TomFulp don't turn Newgrounds into yet another "You have to use Facebook to use this site" website. Plenty of those on the Internet already, and they're all shit.

If it ever forces tying a Facebook/Google+ account in order to sign in then I'm going to say fuck it and abandon Newgrounds and I'm not even joking. I actively avoid using those sites and have for years. And I'm not going to start using them just because other websites I use start requiring them.

Relevant

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:55:49

At 3/24/15 06:52 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I'm really hoping this will just remain an optional sign-in method and not a forced thing

Have you had a psych evaluation recently? Maybe you should. I have no idea why you would jump to that conclusion.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 18:58:21

If it makes you feel better, you can write any username you want. All we capture is your numeric user_id from google or facebook. I'm pretty sure most NG users just have terrible real names, and we don't want to see that nonsense.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 19:01:36

I tried linking my NG and G+ accounts, and was directed to this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 19:07:57

At 3/24/15 06:47 PM, 24901miles wrote: Not yet. I already have an account with my real name and a headshot I use for online accounts set up here, so I don't think I'll be tying my G+ or FB to this account.

How exactly does it work? Why are people logging in with random usernames, too? I'll definitely try it out once it's not glitchy. I don't want to end up having my accounts deleted.

Well, here's the technical stuffs

You click one of them there buttons, and the appripriate javascript sdk launches a popup, where you handle any login you need to on google or the facebox. Once you are logged on to the network, the sdk sends us back a token for your login session. We then pass that to our server, wich has all the secret app code stuff.

The server uses your token to load your info directly form google or facebook. We can only load the basic profile info you give us permission to load. The info we grab is basically the same info that's on our sign up form. We're really only using this to skip having to fill that form in. You still have to pick a username for NG, but using your profile info we quickly offer ip some pre-made ones that are available in our database.

Anyway, once all that happens, we sign you up like as if you used our register form. Then we to ONE extra step, wich is to store your google/facebook user if in a table along with your NG username so the next time you use the button it knows who you are on NG.

At the end of the day, you are still just making a newgrounds account. If you already have one, all we do is link your user ids so you can log in quicker.

The bugs we were having earlier weren't really security related, it was just an issue with google having user ids too big to fit in a signed integer. That's been taken care of.

Oh, and then we sell all info we have to the NSA for $2.63. Fairly common practices.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 19:20:36

"Ya'll can kiss my ass" - James Allen "Red Dog"

Sig by illicit.

Are you bored and have nothing to do? Then click this!

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 19:41:00

At 3/24/15 07:12 PM, vixuzar wrote: i did with facebook
it said that this will make a new account using my facebook name as a user name so i stepped back...

if you scroll that page down, you'll see the option to just use your existing user if you want.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 19:57:19

I've linked my Facebook and G+ profiles to FinaLee. Hopefully, this will encourage more people to go through with the signup process. It's pretty convenient to just log in with a click of a button, too!

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 20:39:56

At 3/24/15 06:55 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/24/15 06:52 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I'm really hoping this will just remain an optional sign-in method and not a forced thing
Have you had a psych evaluation recently? Maybe you should. I have no idea why you would jump to that conclusion.

Hmm, let's see ... Maybe because other sites have gone that route?

Also notice a very important wording -- hoping it will remain optional -- meaning I'm not saying you guys are definitely going to do what some other sites have done, and I'm hoping you won't, but I'm voicing my disapproval regardless.

Oh and, "convenience" isn't what its cracked up to be. "Conveniently" tie everything to Facebook? No thanks. Facebook is the worst thing to happen to the Internet.

So are you suggesting that not buying into the whole Facebook BS = needing psych evaluation? Just how much of the Facebook cool-aid have you been drinking or how much $$ is Mark Zuckerburg paying you?

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 20:58:59

At 3/24/15 08:39 PM, NeonSpider wrote: how much $$ is Mark Zuckerburg paying you?

Facebook paying us... wow.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 21:13:14

At 3/24/15 08:58 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/24/15 08:39 PM, NeonSpider wrote: how much $$ is Mark Zuckerburg paying you?

You *do* know how an "or" statement works, ... right?

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-24 22:15:55

Nah.

Let's leave that option to the other guys.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 00:46:44

I just signed-in with my Google+ account and it worked just fine.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 00:49:26

At 3/24/15 06:25 PM, Painbringer wrote:

My account is already tied to muh real name bitch. (ur not a bitch btw)

its true, but y'all couldn't understand it. Even if you wanted to.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 01:02:30

To be honest this system is a bit clunky. The old signup thing was smaller and yet you knew that it's there if you wanted to log in. Now the new system has a terribly large attention grabbing "login/sign up" button, and it takes two clicks for what used to be a one-click process. (My autofill / login info is also wiped out on Chrome).

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 06:41:11

At 3/24/15 09:13 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 3/24/15 08:58 PM, liljim wrote:
You *do* know how an "or" statement works, ... right?

Haha, the implication being that I somehow 'drink facebook cool-aid'? What's your fall-through?

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 06:50:29

At 3/25/15 06:41 AM, liljim wrote: Haha, the implication being that I somehow 'drink facebook cool-aid'? What's your fall-through?

Just that apparently you had such a problem that I merely suggested to, yaknow, not do what tons of other websites have done in regards to forced Facebook logins (because it's kind of a dick move), and you misinterpreted this to mean somehow you thought I thought you definitely were doing this, ... or something.

Nothing I said was unreasonable and yet you unreasonably evaluated anything less than full praise for Facebook integration to be cause for a psych evaluation? So if that's the case, you must be drinking the Facebook cool-aid if you literally think that.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 06:54:41

it said that this will make a new account using my facebook name as a user name so i stepped back...

Good call, brother, sir. You don't want your friends and family knowing that you're on Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 06:54:56

At 3/25/15 06:50 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Just that apparently you had such a problem that I merely suggested to, yaknow, not do what tons of other websites have done in regards to forced Facebook logins (because it's kind of a dick move), and you misinterpreted this to mean somehow you thought I thought you definitely were doing this, ... or something.

Alright, I apologise. I suppose it's a gut reaction to the 'this can only end badly' doom and gloom knee jerk responses like the one you posted.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 07:02:52

At 3/25/15 06:54 AM, liljim wrote: Alright, I apologise. I suppose it's a gut reaction to the 'this can only end badly' doom and gloom knee jerk responses like the one you posted.

Yeah I'm fine with it being an option. If people want to use that option, that's their choice. I just didn't want it to become mandatory, because I've seen this happen elsewhere. So hopefully that clears up that misunderstanding.

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 07:03:32

At 3/25/15 06:57 AM, vixuzar wrote:
At 3/25/15 06:54 AM, RandyRandom wrote:
Good call, brother, sir. You don't want your friends and family knowing that you're on Newgrounds.
they already know but i just don`t want anyone here to see my facebook account
(for saftey purposes of course)

You do realise that it just suggests a name for you to use and that it's a text field you can edit?

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 07:43:55

Nope I never tried with FB/G+ sign in. However there were other websites that had the offer before NG had it. To my opinion I say no to this. I would rather keep my original account on here, thanks.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 08:00:16

At 3/24/15 06:55 PM, liljim wrote:

Tellin' it like it is.

I'll link my FB account to web pages and apps simply for the convenience of not having to sit and create an account, but if it isn't mandatory I won't worry about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 08:39:41

I understand Facebook but why Google+?
If we keep using Google+ as an option we're only encouraging it to become a bigger social Network even though they were slowly stopping with Google+, or at least I heard something like that.
You no longer have to make a Google+ profile when you make a new Gmail account guys, GUYS!

Sorry I'm not saying Google+ is bad but I don't like how they made it a required thing for YouTube.
Newgrounds doesn't seem like the site who would force people to have Facebook or Google+ linked to their account so I don't really mind Google+.

Yea I have no idea how I think about Google+

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 10:52:44

At 3/25/15 08:39 AM, Zerodecoole wrote: I understand Facebook but why Google+?

Not many people use the Google+ social network but anyone who is logged in to Gmail or YouTube is logged in to Google+, so NG can become a one-click login for them as well if they so desire.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone try Facebook / G+ sign-in? 2015-03-25 10:54:20

At 3/25/15 01:02 AM, Gimmick wrote: To be honest this system is a bit clunky. The old signup thing was smaller and yet you knew that it's there if you wanted to log in. Now the new system has a terribly large attention grabbing "login/sign up" button, and it takes two clicks for what used to be a one-click process. (My autofill / login info is also wiped out on Chrome).

You summed it up: "large attention grabbing "login/sign up" button"

We don't want anyone to not be signed in to NG. If you have an NG account, you can check the box to stay signed in and you should rarely see that header. If you don't have an account, this new login/sign up link is much more attention grabbing than the old tiny link.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature