00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kiler91 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Surviving School: How to be Cool

1,351 Views | 27 Replies

Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 18:17:08

I've noticed a lot of threads about kids being pissed off at bullies and wondering what to do about them. Well listen up kids, because I'm going to give you some advice that I wish someone had given me years ago.

Whatever you do, don't convince yourself that you're miserable because nobody "gets" you, and don't ever act pathetic as a cry for help; if you're still in grade school you can bet your ass nobody around you even knows the meaning of the word 'pity.' If you go around stalking the halls of your school with your eyes to the ground, you're just broadcasting to everyone around you that you're going to be an easy target for them to take out their own frustrations on.

And no, people won't just stop picking on you if you ignore them. They'll start to see you as their personal punching bag. No, they won't stop picking on you if you choose to fight back, verbally or physically. They'll just want to get even, or to have the last word, and you're going to demonize yourself to people (teachers, etc.) who would otherwise be there to help you. Once you put it in peoples' heads that you're vulnerable, they're going to exploit that fact and it's going to be way harder for you to pull yourself out of a rough social situation. That doesn't mean it's impossible though.

So what do you do to keep bullies from picking on you? Smile more. Seriously. Act happy, even if you have to fake it. The power to be happy is a kind of strength that few people would try to contest--you can't exactly prove you're happier than someone by beating them up or calling them names. Really, if you look like you're in a good mood then people around you will naturally feel more at ease. They'll start to like you more because they'll feel like they can trust you and talk to you. They may even come to respect you. Eventually you're going to find yourself actually feeling happier. I've heard some say "just be more confident," but that's only a shade of what it takes. You can only make that happen as a result of improving your mood. You can't simply pretend to be confident; it tends to make you look like an asshole and it's easy to see through, especially for others doing the same (which is probably going to be most people).

Obviously, if bullying you becomes the norm it's going to be much more difficult to get people to stop. Like I said earlier though, it's far from impossible. Make friends with them. I'm serious. Of course, you can't be too obvious about it. Do NOT try to ingratiate yourself with them by giving them things; they're going to see gifts as tribute rather than tokens of friendship. All you have to do is be cooler than they are. Just a simple "hey what's up?" when you pass them in the hallway will go way farther than you'd think. Don't be submissive, but don't try to make them feel insecure either. That old piece of advice, "don't stoop to their level," is kind of bullshit, but only kind of. You have to be able to understand each other, which means somehow getting them to understand you. Though like I said before, that won't happen if you're just trying to pull the pity card.

There's also the issue of respect. Do you respect people who don't respect you? Of course not, and they won't respect you if you don't respect them. Don't tell yourself you don't need their respect, either; if you really think you're that high above them then earning it should be trivial, right? Don't be a poser. Posers are easy to pick up on, and if they see through you they're only gonna think you're weaker. Do your own thing, and respect others who do theirs. Don't be annoying or in-your-face about yourself, but don't be an enigma either. If someone asks about you, tell them.

So how do you just "become happier," beyond tricking yourself into it? Smiling as much as you possibly can is a good start. Plenty of research has suggested that smiling literally makes your brain release those feel-good chemicals that'll lift your mood. Also try taking better care of yourself. I dunno about you, but I always feel better about the day ahead after a nice hot shower in the morning. Get enough sleep. Eat right. There's a lot more you can do than all that super basic shit, but that's a deep enough subject for a topic of its own.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 21:06:41

At 3/23/15 08:59 PM, IsaacIsBlind wrote: thank you... god bless.

You're getting the hang of this sarcasm thing pretty well.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 21:14:26

Surviving bullies in school, helps you deal with bullies as an adult.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:03:39

At 3/23/15 09:14 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Surviving bullies in school, helps you deal with bullies as an adult.

It's true.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:05:04

beating the bully allows you to become the bully

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:13:27

At 3/23/15 10:05 PM, BanditWoolyBear wrote: beating the bully allows you to become the bully

You don't beat the bully, it's not a competition.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:15:59

At 3/23/15 10:13 PM, SuperBastard wrote: You don't beat the bully, it's not a competition.

Of course you do, what are you talking about.

I made several cunts and meatheads leave the room because I outwitted them that easily

(the people here make that harder but you know)

Thus, I eventually became this entity in my highschool that was just, avoided, for the better.

Mind you, I never picked on anyone that didn't deserve it, but fucking with the folks that needed it was quite fun.

I'd do it again

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:17:08

At 3/23/15 10:16 PM, SubliminalVirus wrote: If you get bullied shoot up your school...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365960/

STEAM

"What I would and wouldn't do with your tight twink body is none of their business. But seriously, I would fucking destroy you." - Xenomit

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:20:01

school was gay I quit going. I got bullied in junior high despite being in the "cool" group (not the preppy crowd). The problem was my best friends in the school were my biggest enemies and elicited to start nick names for me. It was traumatic because the rest of the school got in on the nick name. SO I QUIT GOING. and stayed up on NG all night. Worked out. I was like the buffer, the class clown that every one turned to for a laugh AT MY EXPENSE whether or not they felt like they were tormenting me. Without me so many nerds would of suffered terribly.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:20:22

At 3/23/15 10:20 PM, swaenK wrote: school was gay I quit going.

STILL GRADUATED THOUGH. I am so proud of my diploma slip somewhere yonder.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 22:23:20

At 3/23/15 10:20 PM, swaenK wrote:
At 3/23/15 10:20 PM, swaenK wrote: school was gay I quit going.
STILL GRADUATED THOUGH. I am so proud of my diploma slip somewhere yonder.

Your post was too long to read. I enjoyed high school thoroughly as all the idiots dropped out or moved and bla bla bla nick names quit being used come high school. I PROBABLY DESERVED THE NICK NAME, ish. I think a bettter nick name would of been appropriate, but I think every dumb loser junior high kid deserves a ratty nick name.

My tips on being cool? Don't give a fuuuuuuuck. Give them nothing.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-23 23:48:10

Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 00:04:50

You don't need to be cool, you just have to think you're better than everyone else, and don't give a damn about anything. It worked for me.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 00:46:00

At 3/23/15 10:15 PM, BanditWoolyBear wrote: Of course you do, what are you talking about.

I made several cunts and meatheads leave the room because I outwitted them that easily

(the people here make that harder but you know)

Thus, I eventually became this entity in my highschool that was just, avoided, for the better.

Mind you, I never picked on anyone that didn't deserve it, but fucking with the folks that needed it was quite fun.

I'd do it again

I honestly don't believe that you made "cunts and meatheads" leave anything by trying to intellectually intimidate them. Being a smartass never really saved anyone.
Bullies are just other kids. The only hierarchy in school is constructed by children. It's not a competition unless you decide to make it one.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 03:46:38

I never got bullied. I think it was because I beat most of the peeps there on rap battles in school. We used to rap during recces.

till we overdose

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 05:03:11

At 3/24/15 03:46 AM, RB wrote: I never got bullied. I think it was because I beat most of the peeps there on rap battles in school. We used to rap during recces.

I wonder how that looked.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:11:13

At 3/24/15 05:03 AM, NGPulp wrote:
At 3/24/15 03:46 AM, RB wrote: I never got bullied. I think it was because I beat most of the peeps there on rap battles in school. We used to rap during recces.
I wonder how that looked.

Awkward to say. We didn't actually rap. We just wrote the stuff, handed it out. It was like letter exchange.
Pretty shitty raps.

till we overdose

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:18:05

As I was bullied in Elementary school for many years, I've stopped caring now. Just stop caring because all they want is attention.

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:19:09

At 3/24/15 12:46 AM, SuperBastard wrote: I honestly don't believe that you made "cunts and meatheads" leave anything by trying to intellectually intimidate them.

Did I really go to school with that big of retards

Haha

Oh ho ho

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:30:16

At 3/24/15 06:11 AM, RB wrote: Awkward to say. We didn't actually rap. We just wrote the stuff, handed it out. It was like letter exchange.
Pretty shitty raps.

Huh, so it was more or less a poetry competition.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:35:30

At 3/24/15 06:30 AM, NGPulp wrote:
At 3/24/15 06:11 AM, RB wrote: Awkward to say. We didn't actually rap. We just wrote the stuff, handed it out. It was like letter exchange.
Pretty shitty raps.
Huh, so it was more or less a poetry competition.

Yes. Kind off.

till we overdose

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:39:23

Bullying can frequently be a rough push to fix flaws in your life and character

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 06:46:21

Furthermore

At 3/24/15 12:46 AM, SuperBastard wrote: The only hierarchy in school is constructed by children.

Yet you're trying to help kids be cool. Ironic.

Anyways isn't that all a cool kid is is somebody that is a snarky cynical asshole to smaller folks on the social food chain?

I just reversed the role is all.

Anymore question, Bastard?

may I call you bastard?

What utter horse shit. OP clearly has never been bullied before hence giving his know at all explanation from his high podium.

Smile?

Might as well take a dick up the ass because that's what it is. Submission. If that's your thing, then by all means, go ahead. Don't expect to be given any lube though

Just think -

If you challenge the bully and call their bluff, in most cases they'll just back the fuck down because you've manned up.

But if they initiate a fight and you win, they'll forever be scared shit of you and you'll gain mad respect. And your life becomes easier as you become a badass. Just don't try to get too carried away beating them up if you do manage to overpower them. Showing mercy is more respected than just mindless violence.

Incase you don't win, atleast they'll get in trouble, expelled, jailed or have their life ruined for beating the shit out of you.

Either way, it's a win-win if you man up.

Don't go down the path of the warrior unless it's a last resort. If you can snitch and your teachers actually do something about it, then go for it. No decency or respect is lost there.

But don't EVER smile at these worthless pieces of shitheads and endure years of pain. Dear God. NO.

BBS Signature

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 08:38:08

At 3/24/15 06:46 AM, BanditWoolyBear wrote: Anyways isn't that all a cool kid is is somebody that is a snarky cynical asshole to smaller folks on the social food chain?

No, not at all. That's just a snarky cynical asshole. What I mean by "cool" is that you fit in anywhere. Think more like Arnold, from Hey Arnold.

may I call you bastard?

Of course.

At 3/24/15 07:31 AM, dadark1ord wrote: What utter horse shit. OP clearly has never been bullied before hence giving his know at all explanation from his high podium.

I actually don't think you've ever been bullied. Your solutions are the epitome of thoughtless and cliche, and I don't believe you actually understood a word of what I said.
I said don't be submissive. My advice was to become sociable. Strengthen yourself so that you're not an easy target. I have no idea what kind of fantasy world you're living in, but your theoretical scenarios reek of preteen ideology.
I only hope you're trolling.

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 08:56:21

At 3/24/15 08:38 AM, SuperBastard wrote: No, not at all. That's just a snarky cynical asshole.

Don't know where you came from but that's what made somebody where I'm from.

It worked for me anyways and now I'm out

So yolo

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 09:05:04

Response to Surviving School: How to be Cool 2015-03-24 11:08:03

At 3/24/15 08:38 AM, SuperBastard wrote:
I only hope you're trolling.

Hey, don't blame me. I was dropped on the head as a child.

BBS Signature