00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Coheed23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Energy Drinks For Writers

753 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Energy Drinks For Writers 2015-03-23 01:58:01

There are many ways writers pull energy to write what they write. All different kinds. Some healthy, some probably not so healthy. I wanted to bring some of them up here to see where some people stand. I also want to know if you may have something different to offer to us as well that may be more beneficial.

Alcohol
Let's start right here because we don't have to stray too far from the big names on this one. Ernest Hemingway, Christopher Hitchens, and Truman Capote were all avid drinkers when in public, when being interviewed, and when writing. Hell the alcoholic drink "Bloody Mary" was said to have been created due to Ernest Hemingway. Who here dabbles with the liquor as they write?

Coffee
One I tend to dabble in myself and I am sure others do as well and that is coffee. The elixir of every writer at least once in their lives. The flavors that can be added, the additive of sugar, caffeine (which if you drink decaffeinated coffee you're doing it wrong), and cream, what is not to like about coffee? Well the bitter taste and the heat of the drink can be a bit off-putting to some.

Soda/Cola
My personal favorite and one I need to cut back on more, hence the dabbling in the coffee. Offers me fun flavors, sugar, and caffeine, but mostly it is cold. Some don't need cool and refreshing they require heat of some sort hence why the two options above are quite appealing. Although out of the three choices in the end this one can be pretty damaging if you don't have some exercise routine to keep your body and mind balanced.

So Newgrounds Writers, what do all of you enjoy drinking to give yourself that boost of energy?

Response to The Energy Drinks For Writers 2015-03-23 13:14:53

I've got caffeine in my system at least half the week, so there's always a bit of that. If I'm really excited about something I'm writing, I'll probably pick up some Monster to give me that extra boost of energy just to make things even better. Haven't dabbled in alcohol yet; too risky for my tastes.

Response to The Energy Drinks For Writers 2015-03-25 14:42:41

I personally like a cup of coffee, I have just sat down with a cup of tea from time to time, not as much caffeine but still a cook. every now and then, whenever I have a lot to drink I naturally find myself with a pad and pen and just write and write, when I wake up the next day I find most of it is junk.
As to say it's junk compared to what I was writing at the time, it doesn't fit its just stuff running around the subconscious at the time. I've got many books and journal of 'drunken writing'
Every one is different I guess, if you don't drink sodas much it probably has a bigger effect on you than it would me, who drinks them quite a lot.

Coffee for the win :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Energy Drinks For Writers 2015-03-27 08:50:36

I can't stand coffee, I drink Mountain Dew threw a straw (to reduce it coming in contact with my teeth). In comparison to the caffeine content in coffee it's basically like taking one sip of coffee. And as for the health concern, I'm fit and healthy, though I do usually only drink a can a day. I don't really understand how you think alcohol gives anyone energy.