00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Was Python 3 a mistake?

1,692 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Was Python 3 a mistake? 2015-03-22 13:26:05

I decided I'd take a crack at programming (though I had prevoiusly learned AS2, which is now basically obsolete) and figured, due to the many recommendations people give, that I'd give Python a try. However, when I went to download Python I saw that the latest version was a version 3.4, though 2.7 was also available. Not wanting to fall into the same trap as I did with AS2, i chose to learn Python 3. Now, after having done some searching, I see that there are not many resources for advanced learning, beyond the basics, in Python 3, as there is with earlier versions. So my question is, did I make the right choice by beginning with Python 3, or should I have picked the earlier version for it's ample available learning resources?

Response to Was Python 3 a mistake? 2015-03-22 15:02:08

A quick google search would of helped:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

but honestly if you can't find guides for python3, go for python2.
Learn the language first and then you can learn the differences.

Response to Was Python 3 a mistake? 2015-04-07 00:50:44

At 3/22/15 01:26 PM, TitusRyland wrote: I decided I'd take a crack at programming (though I had prevoiusly learned AS2, which is now basically obsolete) and figured, due to the many recommendations people give, that I'd give Python a try. However, when I went to download Python I saw that the latest version was a version 3.4, though 2.7 was also available. Not wanting to fall into the same trap as I did with AS2, i chose to learn Python 3. Now, after having done some searching, I see that there are not many resources for advanced learning, beyond the basics, in Python 3, as there is with earlier versions. So my question is, did I make the right choice by beginning with Python 3, or should I have picked the earlier version for it's ample available learning resources?

You are going to want to learn Python 2.7. Most companies, libraries and code bases that use Python support Python 2 and not 3. With Python 3 they introduced too many breaking changes to the language that many libraries had to rewrite their code just to support Python 3 and the adoption rate has been slow.

I would suggest that you learn Python 2.7 because it is still very relevant today.

Current Project: Defend Your Cheese (www.defendyourcheese.com)

BBS Signature

Response to Was Python 3 a mistake? 2015-04-15 09:11:46

At 4/7/15 12:50 AM, mulatto401 wrote:

I too am looking into taking up Python. Thanks for your advice!

BBS Signature