00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Let's Plays

5,881 Views | 67 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Let's Plays 2015-03-21 02:06:10

Do you guys watch Let's Plays?

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 04:36:43

Yeah, I like them. I'm kinda picky sometimes but oh well. I watch them if there's a game I want to play but can't or when I miss playing one

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 10:01:07

I am a huge fan of Marikplier. I'll also occasionally watch some Game Grumps if they are playing an interesting game.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 12:39:20

Dude I tried to be an LPER, but I failed. I respect LPers and all, but that stuff is too much work imo. Some LPers don't get paid nearly enough.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 12:55:41

At 3/21/15 12:39 PM, icey778 wrote: Dude I tried to be an LPER, but I failed. I respect LPers and all, but that stuff is too much work imo. Some LPers don't get paid nearly enough.

You gotta be kidding me. It's probably one of the easiest forms of 'entertainment' to make, YouTube seems like a dumping ground for all the shitty let's plays. As well as that you think they don't get paid enough? The ad revenue from their shitty videos is more than sufficient

Don't get me wrong, I like a few people who make let's plays but majority of it is garbage.

420 blaze it

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:07:11

At 3/21/15 12:55 PM, Teddiinas wrote:
At 3/21/15 12:39 PM, icey778 wrote: Dude I tried to be an LPER, but I failed. I respect LPers and all, but that stuff is too much work imo. Some LPers don't get paid nearly enough.
You gotta be kidding me. It's probably one of the easiest forms of 'entertainment' to make, YouTube seems like a dumping ground for all the shitty let's plays. As well as that you think they don't get paid enough? The ad revenue from their shitty videos is more than sufficient

Don't get me wrong, I like a few people who make let's plays but majority of it is garbage.

What's easy to you isn't to others. And no it's not at all easy from what I see. Commentating is never easy, you have to have material to be good. But you don't always have topics when concentrating very hard on some games. EX: Super Meat Boy.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:12:11

At 3/21/15 01:07 PM, icey778 wrote: What's easy to you isn't to others. And no it's not at all easy from what I see. Commentating is never easy, you have to have material to be good. But you don't always have topics when concentrating very hard on some games. EX: Super Meat Boy.

Just because someone else finds it more difficult than me doesn't mean shit. If they find making let's plays difficult than they probably aren't very good at them. I agree that commentating isn't easy and that's really what makes the let's play, that's why I said don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few peoples content. If you can't comment or find it difficult to do so, don't even bother making let's plays cause there is already thousands of hours of boring shit on YouTube. If commentating ain't your strong point, then write a script.

420 blaze it

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:17:51 (edited 2015-03-21 13:18:15)

At 3/21/15 01:12 PM, Teddiinas wrote:
At 3/21/15 01:07 PM, icey778 wrote: What's easy to you isn't to others. And no it's not at all easy from what I see. Commentating is never easy, you have to have material to be good. But you don't always have topics when concentrating very hard on some games. EX: Super Meat Boy.
Just because someone else finds it more difficult than me doesn't mean shit. If they find making let's plays difficult than they probably aren't very good at them. I agree that commentating isn't easy and that's really what makes the let's play, that's why I said don't get me wrong, I enjoy a few peoples content. If you can't comment or find it difficult to do so, don't even bother making let's plays cause there is already thousands of hours of boring shit on YouTube. If commentating ain't your strong point, then write a script.

I could never do anything at this point, but that's for a private discussion if you want to know why, I'll tell you privately. Anyways, I just don't think some LPers get paid enough. NCS for example has to move in with his mom now that his "fame" has died out. And he doesn't want to go look for another job, who would? This is stuff they love doing.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:38:20

I'd rather play a game.

This post is generated by human intelligence (or lack thereof).

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:46:11

At 3/21/15 01:17 PM, icey778 wrote: I could never do anything at this point, but that's for a private discussion if you want to know why, I'll tell you privately. Anyways, I just don't think some LPers get paid enough. NCS for example has to move in with his mom now that his "fame" has died out. And he doesn't want to go look for another job, who would? This is stuff they love doing.

I'm sure all of us would love to make a living off of just playing video games and commentating but we don't all get everything we want in life. Let's face it, playing video games for a living is just too good of a concept anyway.

I don't really care that much about all the let's plays fiasco, it's popular now and of course there is gonna be good ones and shitty ones. If the author has fun making them and a few people get entertainment from it, that's all that matters.

420 blaze it

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 13:58:36

At 3/21/15 01:46 PM, Teddiinas wrote:
At 3/21/15 01:17 PM, icey778 wrote: I could never do anything at this point, but that's for a private discussion if you want to know why, I'll tell you privately. Anyways, I just don't think some LPers get paid enough. NCS for example has to move in with his mom now that his "fame" has died out. And he doesn't want to go look for another job, who would? This is stuff they love doing.
I'm sure all of us would love to make a living off of just playing video games and commentating but we don't all get everything we want in life. Let's face it, playing video games for a living is just too good of a concept anyway.

I don't really care that much about all the let's plays fiasco, it's popular now and of course there is gonna be good ones and shitty ones. If the author has fun making them and a few people get entertainment from it, that's all that matters.

You simply don't understand. NCS found his dream job he was happy. Now he's just eh. He knows he has to get another job, but a job that you have no passion for isn't worth doing. I know some people will get on me for this, but it's true. Anyone that is working in a job they don't like doing is wasting their time. It won't bring about any positive effects it'll only make that person's life worse.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:12:31

At 3/21/15 01:58 PM, icey778 wrote: You simply don't understand. NCS found his dream job he was happy. Now he's just eh. He knows he has to get another job, but a job that you have no passion for isn't worth doing. I know some people will get on me for this, but it's true. Anyone that is working in a job they don't like doing is wasting their time. It won't bring about any positive effects it'll only make that person's life worse.

I don't understand why you're getting sentimental about some guy who plays video games for a living. Tough shit now that he has to do some actual labor like everyone else. Life ain't all rainbows and gold. Majority of people who do let's plays actually work because simply it's unrealistic to make a living off of let's plays, you gotta get lucky. That NCS guy's luck ran out. I think you may have contracted 'fanboyism', why the hell do you care that the fucker has to work now?

420 blaze it

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:14:17

I only watch Lets Plays if the people are spontaneous and have a great personality like Markiplier and Game Grumps. Mainly Game Grumps because I pretty much followed everything Arin Hanson has done and connect to him pretty well in his lets plays. Markiplier haves a very cool personality and his voice lights up everything, I literally can't get tired of his videos. People who are more loud and have passion in their lets plays are most likely successful and fun to watch. Those who are bland and desperately trying to become popular makes their videos unbearable to watch. I can name a lot of people who are like that because that's almost 80% of YT community who are just in it for the money and you got the 20% who are dedicated and popular for a good reason... at least in my prospective.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:17:58 (edited 2015-03-21 14:20:30)

@Teddiinas @icey778

I see both of your points. Teddi doesn't understand that to some people, like icey778, producing LP content is difficult. It's like when engineers are all "just solder the fucking thing to the boodlieboo, it's easy." Some people are just not good at video editing and/or commentating; end. It's like when I buy and resell guitars; anyone could do do it, but actually doing something takes talent and luck and perseverance.

Icey, it's not unusual to live with your parents before you're like 30. It's free land. Making any money doing LPs is a blessing.

I'm trying to make LPs with my friend(s). So far we're doing new indie games and retro RPGs.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:36:25

At 3/21/15 02:12 PM, Teddiinas wrote:
At 3/21/15 01:58 PM, icey778 wrote: You simply don't understand. NCS found his dream job he was happy. Now he's just eh. He knows he has to get another job, but a job that you have no passion for isn't worth doing. I know some people will get on me for this, but it's true. Anyone that is working in a job they don't like doing is wasting their time. It won't bring about any positive effects it'll only make that person's life worse.
I don't understand why you're getting sentimental about some guy who plays video games for a living. Tough shit now that he has to do some actual labor like everyone else. Life ain't all rainbows and gold. Majority of people who do let's plays actually work because simply it's unrealistic to make a living off of let's plays, you gotta get lucky. That NCS guy's luck ran out. I think you may have contracted 'fanboyism', why the hell do you care that the fucker has to work now?

I care about as many people as I can. Near or far, I just have more heart than you is all. Life isn't worth living if you are eternally unhappy imo. Why go on? No to do what makes you happy should be the goal. Your views are different from mine. And before labeling someone maybe you shouldn't jump to assumptions like that so early. I already unsubbed to NCS some time ago. It was sad to see him in that state. I know the pain of life bub, so don't go there. Now have a nice day because this discussion has gotten out of hand. You're resulting in labeling people and I don't like flame wars. If need be I will block you.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:38:35

At 3/21/15 02:17 PM, Ghoti wrote: @Teddiinas @icey778

I see both of your points. Teddi doesn't understand that to some people, like icey778, producing LP content is difficult. It's like when engineers are all "just solder the fucking thing to the boodlieboo, it's easy." Some people are just not good at video editing and/or commentating; end. It's like when I buy and resell guitars; anyone could do do it, but actually doing something takes talent and luck and perseverance.

Icey, it's not unusual to live with your parents before you're like 30. It's free land. Making any money doing LPs is a blessing.

I'm trying to make LPs with my friend(s). So far we're doing new indie games and retro RPGs.

I'm not saying it is, but it's sad to see he has to. NCS's commentary style is just outdated these days. It's why he has to live with his mom. Such is life, a trial.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 14:59:46

Yes. I mainly watch NintendoCapriSun now. I might watch Chuggaaconroy again if he starts LPing a game I care about. I've also made my own LPs with a VCR and a voice recorder, but those are never going to be uploaded.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 21:49:18 (edited 2015-03-21 21:56:54)

I used to do them, then depression got worse and haven't made any for ages, then started making new ones with my partner but then I lost all my footage from my old harddrive which had it all recorded when awaiting uploading. Trying to get back into it again now, but frankly I lost the desire completely. I'm going to get into reviews instead as soon as I find the best way to deal with the visual side of them.

At 3/21/15 02:59 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Yes. I mainly watch NintendoCapriSun now

Oh god, could you watch anyone more annoying than hi-

I might watch Chuggaaconroy again

OH GOD YOU CAN!

Actually the first one is a billion times worse, screaming "In the bathroom" endlessly cannot be entertaining for anyone, if it is entertaining to someone then they should seek the serious medical attention of a bludgeoning hammer.

I used to watch chuggaconroy for the sole reason he was doing pikmin and wanted to see it get played, but before long his personality and obnoxiously loud voice really got painful to listen to.

Again, still a billion times less annoying than the first guy. Seriously, catch phrases have to be good in a cheesy way to work and most importantly must be used by a character as they are brought into a scene. His obnoxious one holds no desirable traits.

An example of a good one being Bender from Futurama saying "I'm back baby!" since it happens at times like him being spat out by a huge frog with a cigar in his mouth, or being thrown into the ship while it's taking off by a huge wasp and having a smug coolness to himself as it says it. It is the right amount of cheese that makes a catch phrase work.

Let's Plays have no such thing. Listening to the same person for 20 minutes on end and having them saying a stupid catch phrase is terrible, it is not cheese nor is it coming into a scene since we know theh are the ones speaking endlessly since it is their fucking LP, there is no side character being thrown into the situation.

Also it needs to be noted. Yes, there IS NO SIDE CHARACTER, the only thing worse than his shit is someone pretending to play multiple characters on a video, if you want to play a character then fine you can roleplay playing as a character, but do not fucking start talking to a second character who you also voice. Just don't. For the fuck of whatever god gives a shit just don't!

Anyway that is my rant about two of the many problems, carry on.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 21:57:24

At 3/21/15 09:49 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Actually the first one is a billion times worse, screaming "In the bathroom" endlessly cannot be entertaining for anyone, if it is entertaining to someone then they should seek the serious medical attention of a bludgeoning hammer.

Was the only video by NintendoCapriSun you watched the video where he fights the Great Mighty Poo in Conker's Bad Fur Day? He doesn't say it that often anymore. Maybe one time every ten videos?

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 22:05:19

Not as much as I used to, but occasionally, yes.

I find myself looking for pirated shit, music and stand-up specials more often nowadays.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 22:09:04

At 3/21/15 09:57 PM, Sword-of-Kings wrote:
At 3/21/15 09:49 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Actually the first one is a billion times worse, screaming "In the bathroom" endlessly cannot be entertaining for anyone, if it is entertaining to someone then they should seek the serious medical attention of a bludgeoning hammer.
Was the only video by NintendoCapriSun you watched the video where he fights the Great Mighty Poo in Conker's Bad Fur Day? He doesn't say it that often anymore. Maybe one time every ten videos?

It was yes, I went on a single one of his videos which was something to do with Conker's Bad Fur Day where he was swimming underwater somewhere, I never played the game or watched a full playthrough of it so I don't know if it was that specific level or not. But he said it a few times and each time was painful and he even added a counter in the top courner saying "In the bathroom counter" or some shit like that, which was counted to about 17 at the point of the video I went to, and I instantly removed my subscription and treated him like a disease to stay away from.

It is good to know he at least doesn't say it as much now, but even if that does make him a lot less obnoxious he is still far down the path of being someone I never want to listen to again.

The most painful thing was I looked at his LPs since he made some videos about "tips to new let's players" or something like that and since I was planning on getting into it I decided to watch them. I am so glad I saw through his shit and did non of the things he advised in those videos since the last thing Youtube needs is more people like him. In fact I made sure to do the opposite in most cases from the things I remembered and can safely say my videos were only slightly annoying which is a god send in LPs.

My most annoying videos have been due to making stupid gimmicks for the sake of pissing people off, which works well! Would recommend that but on a rare gimmicky situation and not a common thing since otherwise you risk looking like you are the thing you hate, which is bad!

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-21 22:51:07

Yes. I watch Let's Play (it's a channel the guys over at Achievement Started specifically for their LPs), Chuggaconroy, The Runaway Guys, and (occasionally) Josh Jepson.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-22 13:31:52

I don't mind watching them ,it's a free alternative if you don't have the money buy them at launch and just want a glimpse of what it's like before making a decision of doing so. Not to mention the free advertising for more obscurer titles.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-24 12:27:05

I watch Game Grumps and TwoBestFriends Play and that's about it. I mainly only watch the obscure games/bad games that I never plan to play.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-24 15:04:22

I remember when Machinima had a strangle hold on gaming media. I'm glad they inevitably lost their grip. Them and that shit MTV G4.

BBS Signature

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-24 18:23:22 (edited 2015-03-24 18:32:17)

I watch let's plays from both big and small channels and I also make my own. I quite enjoy them.

I've been making let's plays for over a year now and it's still just a really enjoyable experience. Especially when I get to interact with my viewers and hear their opinions on certain in game events.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-24 18:26:50

I'm a fan of Achievement Hunter, especially their Rage Quit series. Besides that I don't watch any.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-25 00:38:42

If I don't own any of the latest consoles out there... then yes, I would consider watching these videos since it entertains me and it's fun watching others play the game if it's a exception minus the commentary.

Nowadays, I just watch Super Smash Bros. game plays and other games...

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-29 15:41:49

At 3/21/15 02:06 AM, Ghoti wrote: Do you guys watch Let's Plays?

I do, relatively sparingly. Chuggaaconroy, The Runaway Guys, and occasionally ProtonJon, Raocow, NintendoCapriSun and a few other lesser known LPs.

Mind you, I like it when a commentator doesn't hesitate, and aims to provide the funnest experience every time. And remains humble, at that.

Response to Let's Plays 2015-03-29 16:38:26

At 3/21/15 03:18 AM, IsaacIsBlind wrote: Yes i want TwoBestFreindsPlay

The hypest lets play on youtube!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature