00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can we have NG Chat back yet

5,459 Views | 79 Replies

Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 17:53:58

We've been so good all year cmon

You've got some fucking nerve expecting someone anyone to do something anything, jerk

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 18:55:36

They wont bring back the chat until Half life 3 is announced.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 18:56:49

I mean come on

Wakka wakka

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 18:58:24

but aren't we chatting right now though

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 19:01:29

I would say no.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 19:07:00

I mean, I'm sure they're sick of hearing it, but you know, they wouldn't have to anymore if, like... you know... we had it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

we are not ready for NG chat yet, and NG chat is not ready for us

the time will come when we feel the moment is right

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 19:20:11

At 3/16/15 06:12 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: come on

--supergandhi64

No

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 19:56:09

At 3/16/15 07:51 PM, Vinnyy wrote:
At 3/16/15 07:36 PM, vixuzar wrote: everyone
be honest...
does any of you really care if the new chat comes up or not ?
isn`t it getting boring ?
I could care less. Even if it did come out, I wouldn't use it much.

^^This being the overwhelming majority opinion is the reason why it's not a priority right now. The chat had all of maybe 20 people regularly using it, and not a single one of them either contributed or engaged in discussions about anything Newgrounds-related. What would be the point in NG staff using NG's bandwidth to recreate something that is both hopelessly underused and which has exactly no relevance to NG in general?

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 20:20:34

thats like waiting for that Lit portal that @TomFulp announced back in what 2008? don't hold your breath even though a chat would be great to have if it weren't modded by people like Gory.

At 3/16/15 08:03 PM, 24901miles wrote: Really dude? It's not a bandwidth hog. It's just text.

Still, even if it's a waste of very little bandwidth, it's still a waste. Of both that and the time / effort it takes to put it back in the first place.

Animators, game makers, artists, and b/pers used to hang out in there and talk about what they're working on or point other people in the right direction when they asked questions.

Regularly watched the 'official' chat, Poder's old chat, and 2 or 3 chats prior to both of those; never once saw that happen. I might've just been unlucky and / or coming in at bad times, but I can only go on what I saw while in there, since unlike a BBS there's no ability to go back and look at conversation topics from when you were offline.

The other shit (nonstop chatter about random topics) just keeps people coming back so the place isn't dead when noobs or contributors stop in to see what's up.

^^This was what I saw happen. All the damn time. The fact that you label it as 'nonstop' says it all. And none of this invalidates the point that for every one person who actively wants it back, there's at least one more who actively doesn't and another dozen who don't care either way.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 20:44:45

At 3/16/15 08:28 PM, Cordyceps wrote: The moderation arrangements need to be seriously considered before they bring the chat back.

I'm glad you hate me enough to bitch about me on 4chan since I had to nail you for spamming the user list on at least 3 separate occasions.

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 21:18:34

At 3/16/15 08:58 PM, 24901miles wrote: What's the fundamental tradeoff here? Would you rather the site look stupid because the site has a place for stupid people to assemble and talk about stupid things, or would you rather it look dead and antisocial because there's nowhere to act as a part of the community?

Posting 'there's nowhere to act as a part of the community' on the BBS is more than a little bit daft, IMO. Hell, it's the first button under the 'community' section on the header bar. Ironically, the forums are a lot more relaxed towards letting people say what they want than the chat was, as well.

And I'm pretty sure that everyone thought it was pretty awkward that you suddenly joined, sat on the Users list for a while, said one or two things, and never tried to sway the conversation or bring anything up.

I'm more than pretty sure absolutely no-one noticed 99% of the times I did that. Mainly due to being down the bottom of the screen where no-one was looking... because they were watching the chat like I was.

And, Poder?

PoderOdunk - creator of the unofficial NG chat which the site linked to for a few months. Deleted after it became obvious the servers were never going to be restored and it was down for good.

Kel-Chan, Kenny, Manly-Chicken, Superbastard, TOAS, CosmicDeath, BrazilianNinja, Zachary, myself, etc, etc, etc were all frequent users of the chat who I specifically had in mind giving advice or showing work they had done. I had the window open on my desktop on most days for over a year and helped people get acquainted with the site, GIMP, etc.

If it DID in fact happen, then fine. I have only your word to go on for this, but since it's of no real-life importance whether its true or not I'll take it. Like I said, I'm open to the idea that it might've just been the times I picked (living in the UK makes for some odd sign-in times for a US-based website, after all).

I wasn't even in the chat for the first year-year and a half of its existence. I didn't like most of the conversation that was going on in there, but I still think it's a good thing to have around as long as there's strong moderation.

The number of people I've heard complain about the "strong moderation" is more than I can ascribe to petty butthurt, I'm afraid. As soon as it starts driving people away from the chat, you're doing it wrong, even if you're technically doing it 'right'... if you get me. It's 1AM here and I'm not about to start writing essays on the point of moderating things, so if you don't, bleh.

You can't even hire people that anal.

Lol; damn right you can't. They're fucking impossible to work with. Ever share an office with someone like that? It ain't funny when there's no screen between you and them which you can turn off at your leisure.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 21:34:58

At 3/16/15 05:53 PM, RocketHorse wrote: We've been so good all year cmon

I know...

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 21:41:20

I know what how easy it is to procrastinate and never get around to doing things you say you will do. But the difference is I don't make any sort of living from the stuff I never get around to updating.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 21:46:20

Like just make your own and the few people who care will go on it

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 22:05:19

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 22:13:25

maybe if we don't get shit users being mods and just have actual BBS mods for the Chat.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 22:26:51

If you must ask, then you don't, only through revolution can the undetermined consequence be achieve although the practice is very volatile

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 22:33:20

Hey, guys. Remember the time someone posted a picture of Gory's ass on the chat? That was so hilarious. Until Gory banned him and went on a rant about how we were gentrifying the chat by not talking about how much we love to smear shit on our nipples.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-16 22:46:56

We should just set up an OFFICIAL IRC channel or something and be done with it.

brains.

BBS Signature

Sheizen sit back down will you. There were people in the chat room actively making plans to collaborate on flash /audio and game projects all the time. People who wouldn't have met if it wasn't for the chat room. Just because you doesn't see it, or don't believe it doesn't suddenly mean that it didn't happen. This is coming from someone who doesn't even care about that fundamental side of newgrounds or even cares if we do get a chat again.

I just can't stand liars who won't admit that their wrong, and you are wrong.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 03:20:07

The thing is about having a chat is that there was always conflict going on there, there wasn't a day that didn't have a dispute going on, be it immature disruptive trolls or pretentious belly achers that were wobbling from their high horses that would always find every little thing they disagreed with to be a major problem, you know who I'm talking about @LSD @Gory-Blizzard @Gagsy on certain occasions.

Some people treated the chat like their personal hug boxes, even some mods who held power there and that's when shit got thrown out of whack, it wasn't about having fun like we originally conceived it to be, all it had going were political SJWish rants, cry baby fat ass feminists, Psuedo-intellectuals bashing religion and claiming that it was progressive for society as a whole to do so. I'm sorry @24901miles but I don't see how berating any religion is in anyway going to contribute to a better tomorrow, just saying man. Power hungry mods banning people over a drop of a hat or for simply not agreeing with them.

The chat was a cluster fuck, it had to be put down sometime or later, maybe when this place can grow up a little more and get it's head out of it's ass it could be revived.

BBS Signature

At 3/17/15 03:38 AM, 24901miles wrote: I don't even know what you're talking about. I can't claim to have done anything which I don't remember doing. And if it happened enough for it to impact the chat in any way, shouldn't I be able to remember it? It must have been me, though. Why else would you be so obsessed with something that couldn't have happened any time in the past two years, unless I was sitting here continuing to provoke you.

It was merely an off handed mention, you are guilty of needlessly mocking religion, there were plenty others but you are the one that stands out the most. Whether you know it or not it made the chat seem like an intolerant cesspool of pretentious hatred towards something that you don't believe in, I'd have to say that it wouldn't make the chat any more pleasant if kept happening, wouldn't you think so? Not saying it was only you, but I am mentioning you because you're the one I can think of.

However, I'll make fun of any religion or any part of religion if I feel the need to do that. Especially if it's progressive for society to do so. My favorite part of religion is how they try to take over government and force their beliefs down other people's throats. My second favorite part is how they collect money and amass wealth just to make themselves look powerful. My third favorite is the fact that they force their subjects to believe lies in order to feel better while their dearest adherents rape children, murder apostates, and live like Kings for doing no work. Hahaha! Religion is so funny!

The thing is, I'm not telling you to change your opinion on religion, I'm merely just pointing out how much you talk about religion and about how horrible it is, even when its out of context, you even accused me of being religions one time because I disagreed with you about something entirely different, it's like you try to insert religion just to bash it, it's as if you don't wish to have nothing to do with religion but to keep it with you to break it down completely even though it's not affecting you in either way, unless you can't stand that there are some groups out there that believe differently about the origin of life than you do.

You claim that religion is taking over the government, sure the government is influenced by religion but you don't see the government assigning you by force to be any designated religious branch they want you to be the worst we got is the "in god we trust slogan" don't tell me that's oppressing your oh so exquisite beliefs, you're free to be what the hell you want to be, they don't force you to pay for any churches either, unless it's a part of taxes and that's IF they do it by taxing, but why would you care? They tax you for other things too, why would any profits going to a religious organization worry you so much? They use our tax dollars on other pointless shit too, I don't see you upset about it.
Religion doesn't even impede the advancement of civilization, you don't see religious groups telling scientists to stop their research or developments, getting rid of religion wouldn't make any change to society aside from not believing in a god that's it...

I've read the bible before front to back, nowhere does it even say that rape and murder is acceptable, it's quite the contrary actually, I doubt you even read it at all, I can tell you've been misinformed from a just as equal hatemonger and just went with it because he slandered it in your favor.

Yeah sure back then people killed in the name of religion but people killed in the name of various other things to, don't just only point out religion as your convenient excuse to demonize it, anyone can misinterpret the bible and kill in the name of it just because they're dumb stupid fucks, the book didn't tell them to, they're just zealots, just like how plenty atheists are, only just they're too fat and lazy to get off their computers to try to make a stand, plenty of atheist have caused atrocities in the past too, even in the name of atheism, does Joseph Stalin ring a bell?

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 04:25:21

I still remember using the old flash chat... Now those were the times indeed...

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 04:39:11

I think the NG Chat will bring down the amount of shit posting.

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 04:59:04

@killerjeff nice to see how bitter you still are over your bans boo hoo

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 06:16:33

Yeah the modding in the chat was pretty shitty.

Response to Can we have NG Chat back yet 2015-03-17 06:27:13

At 3/17/15 04:59 AM, Gagsy wrote: @killerjeff nice to see how bitter you still are over your bans boo hoo

It has nothing to do with the bans at all, you're so closed minded aren't you gagsy?
You give yourself too much credit, I suggest you get off your high chair before it breaks under your massive weight.
You know nothing about my intentions seeing as how I was acknowledging you for being one of the more laid back ones.
I'm completely right about the chat and you know it, but please keep denying it. Sad to see you still have that self important fat girl syndrome.

My respect for you has completely drained you salty cunt.

BBS Signature