00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What Are You Guys Up To?

1,428 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey audio portal! How are you guys doing? I just made this thread just to see whats up.

So what's up musically? Currently, i was working on mixing some tracks so i can upload them, and just experimenting with weird vst's like Crystal.

EDIT: I've also been practicing with my guitar, so that's always nice lol.
there also hasn't been any really good threads lately, just "LOOK AT MY MUISC" threads, it's whatever, just thought more content would be nice.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-11 23:47:01

nm m8 just set up my "studio" yesterday, need to find a way to cat-proof it cause the hair is gonna get EVERYWHERE.

need a real computer. also a patch bay. cha-ching :(

What Are You Guys Up To?

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:02:18

I'm looking at either gettiing a used American Strat, or something else, like a midi controller and Logic Pro X. I can't decide.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:12:00

At 3/12/15 12:02 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: I'm looking at either gettiing a used American Strat, or something else, like a midi controller and Logic Pro X. I can't decide.

oooo, sounds nice. what daw are you using atm?

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:18:23

At 3/12/15 12:12 AM, w00tw00 wrote: oooo, sounds nice. what daw are you using atm?

Well, that's the thing, I don't have a DAW atm. I have a Mac so I can use Garageband, but I was also looking at Reaper or Logic Pro X.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:33:31

At 3/12/15 12:18 AM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 3/12/15 12:12 AM, w00tw00 wrote: oooo, sounds nice. what daw are you using atm?
Well, that's the thing, I don't have a DAW atm. I have a Mac so I can use Garageband, but I was also looking at Reaper or Logic Pro X.

logic is pretty great! like, if i was forced to switch to mac i'd probably switch from FL to logic.

if you have USB ports to spare and you wanted a midi controller with keys and knobs/faders, you could grab a cheap/2nd hand midi keyboard without controllers and then get a korg nanoCTRL - usually works out cheaper than getting something like an axiom or oxygen.

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:35:51 (edited 2015-03-12 00:37:33)

At 3/12/15 12:18 AM, BrenTheMan wrote: Well, that's the thing, I don't have a DAW atm. I have a Mac so I can use Garageband, but I was also looking at Reaper or Logic Pro X.

have you considered using ableton? and yeah, i think buying a daw would be the best investment honestly. ableton or logic will do the job.

EDIT: @midimachine, nice setup lol, are you looking to buy another laptop or a desktop? i think a desktop would suit your studio.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:44:12

Not much.
Desperately trying to figure out how to finish this without messing it all up.
*Sigh*

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:57:46

At 3/12/15 12:35 AM, w00tw00 wrote: nice setup lol, are you looking to buy another laptop or a desktop? i think a desktop would suit your studio.

desktop absolutely. need moar powah!

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 00:58:54 (edited 2015-03-12 01:01:38)

I'm putting together my voice acting demo reel to send to a game voice acting director I met the other day who works for Square Enix.

Can anyone have a listen and give their critique please? I want to make a good first impression.

https://soundcloud.com/dadark1ord/dark1ord-voice-acting-demo-reel

BBS Signature

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 01:09:48

Trying to expand everything I can possibly know about FL Studio. School is cutting in hardcore, but I really love the feeling of evolving. Communities like this and reddit are always super nice to have. I can't seem to start up a new song though, ideas constantly come and go, and I already have some three songs "in the works" and I can't seem to choose one to devote myself to. Any cool VSTs or plugins you guys would recommend?

Check out my music on here or below!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/darian-w-west

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 04:00:43

At 3/12/15 01:09 AM, MirgilCando wrote: Trying to expand everything I can possibly know about FL Studio. School is cutting in hardcore, but I really love the feeling of evolving. Communities like this and reddit are always super nice to have. I can't seem to start up a new song though, ideas constantly come and go, and I already have some three songs "in the works" and I can't seem to choose one to devote myself to. Any cool VSTs or plugins you guys would recommend?

http://www.xoxos.net/vst/vst.html this guy, especially his fauna plugin. Makes animal noises that should not be.

Currently chilling at a friend's house at 3 in the morning wrapping up a night's work on a light and fluffy experimental piece using a lur drone. I've been in physical therapy for my wrist the past month and a half, but I still haven't had much time for music due to things :/

BBS Signature

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 04:47:27 (edited 2015-03-12 04:47:46)

At 3/12/15 04:00 AM, Eagleon wrote:
At 3/12/15 01:09 AM, MirgilCando wrote: Any cool VSTs or plugins you guys would recommend?
http://www.xoxos.net/vst/vst.html this guy, especially his fauna plugin. Makes animal noises that should not be.

oh my god yes xoxos is the best and a genius at physical modelling. surface is also a super good plugin by him that i use a lot

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 06:52:00

As for what I'm up to musically:

Nothing. Windows pushed a major update to my computer yesterday afternoon, and it buggered up my PC well and truly. My keyboard isn't working, I'm finding it hard to log in with an on-screen keyboard, the PC is sluggish, and opening Chrome to go to Newgrounds isn't working one bit, because no pages are loading up, and Chrome prompts me to kill my pages after a while when nothing is open in the first place. In addition, where my RAM usage has normally been nominal at startup, it is nearly killing the PC now. Thanks, Windows.

Seán has been trying to look at my PC to see what the problem is; in the meantime, I'm using his PC to actually respond to this thread. If he manages to get it to a reasonable level of usability, I'm going to back up every last fucking file there is there. FL projects, written dossiers, everything.

My nerves are especially frayed because up to this point I had been working on the soundtrack for Eden, an upcoming game which @CartoonCoffee and @glitchs2d and I are working on, and the teasers that I've shared to this date show the promise there is in the sound I've made.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 09:23:18

Trying to get inspiration for writing melody's but got terrible block.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 09:23:25

Actually slowing down my composing a bit to focus on live-playing. I've played three gigs this year, with the last one being opening for Sean Hogan. Actually performed "One Headlight" as a duet with him. Great guy. I've also just joined a jazz band, which is slamming more theory at me more rapidly than I ever thought possible - jazz bands don't f&*^ around when it comes to theory. You either know your stuff, or you sound like crap until you figure it out. I'm sounding less like crap all the time...but that comes from the bassist in the band, who also happens to be a professional soundtrack composer (hundreds of TV, movie, and commercial credits on that guy...did it for 20+years) and my next-door neighbor.

I am currently working on two projects for NG, which shall remain quiet until they are released...suffice it to say that I'm looking forward to getting them done in the soon! I have just released my first E.P. - "Mixed Nuts," which coincided with the opening of my website. It's not all up to my standard yet, but real progress has been made on getting my stuff out there. I figure that I would like to start a weekend rock band this year. I know some really good musicians and singers and the like, but my issue is the lack of a reliable drummer (who can hold a beat and isn't just interested in hitting their double-kick peddle at machine-gun speeds for 30mins). I'm actually kinda hoping I can find someone who would be down for playing more latin-percussion. Meh...there's always Craig's List.

Other than that...uh...most of you don't really know me all that well...so...uh...hi?

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 09:50:14

Coolstorybro:
I spent my afternoon in a music shop at shibuya, where they let you test EVERYTHING.
So i could try maschine, ableton push, roland aira synths, a juno6, a microbrute, some obscure modular synths, several nordlead and my all time favourite sh 101. My life's complete.
They also had a minimoog but "NOT FOR SALE DONT TOUCH!11111"
This shop mainly sells guitars (i dont know sh## about guitars, just that i saw a rickenbacker 4003, ive heard its a good bass, i use the vst version :D)

So right after that i bought a super cheap second hand dying laptop that, surprisingly, runs fl ok and i'm now reinstalling/redownloading everything. If native instruments website crashes today, it's all my fault.
My studio will be a small desk next to a fridge and the bed, on the desk, fighting for space are my LPD8 and my wacom tablet; add my hd 25 to this bob katz' approved setup and im back to creating bleeps and blops soon.

/coolstorybro

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci!

BBS Signature

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 10:10:36

Trying to finish the mixing on my new album and getting them ready for mastering. Easily the most tedious part of making an full length album imo

At 3/11/15 11:47 PM, midimachine wrote: nm m8 just set up my "studio" yesterday, need to find a way to cat-proof it cause the hair is gonna get EVERYWHERE.

What's the yellow-y green thing?

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 10:13:00

At 3/12/15 09:50 AM, Daru925 wrote: Coolstorybro:
I spent my afternoon in a music shop at shibuya, where they let you test EVERYTHING.

that's fkn rad. i really want to go to five-g when i'm in tokyo later this year, but i probably can't afford to take anything back with me. plus i don't have a step-down transformer (fuck australia and 240v power). plus it's probably not as amazing as it was in the glory days like 10 years ago.

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 10:17:18

At 3/12/15 10:10 AM, SineRider wrote: What's the yellow-y green thing?

it's an atomosynth koe and koneko combo in a custom case. they usually come as standard eurorack modules: http://www.atomosynth.com/koe.html

p.s. i am gay

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 10:24:58

Musically? Not much. Instead I've been spending the last 1 1/2 weeks figuring out my first PC build. Probably going to order the parts in the next few days. Been so distracted by this that I haven't really given music much thought.

Can't wait to build it though. I've learned so much just researching parts, so I'm curious what I'll learn actually building the thing. Also it's a beast, so there's that too.

Response to What Are You Guys Up To? 2015-03-12 10:27:31

At 3/12/15 10:17 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 3/12/15 10:10 AM, SineRider wrote: What's the yellow-y green thing?
it's an atomosynth koe and koneko combo in a custom case. they usually come as standard eurorack modules: http://www.atomosynth.com/koe.html

Ahh that's nice, reminds me of those Pittsburgh Modular Synth Blocks