00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UnknownDegenerate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bub Sticky - RPG/Action Adventure

686 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Bub Sticky - RPG/Action Adventure 2015-03-09 23:00:55

Hello everyone,

I went to PAX this last Saturday. It was the first time I had ever been. What I saw there opened my eyes and inspired me to do, what I've been dreaming of doing ever since I was a kid. I've had the idea for this character and game since I was a kid. It's always been my dream to combine the humor of adult swim cartoons w/ the amines I love so much like, Trigun and Bleach. A game that features a Kingdom Hearts-ish style gameplay, but has scenes with 2D platforming sections...

My name is Kris Lermond, I'm 30 and I live in Union, Maine. I have no idea how to make a video game, but I'm a lifelong gamer with an idea...and I really need help to make it possible. I would really like to collaborate with some of you, to see if we could make a demo of my idea. I want this to be a fun project that everyone enjoys working on and I want it to become OUR project, and OUR game. A game that people will love and hopefully with a little hard work, we can make this game great! I'm looking for help and guidance from people with some experience. Help me, show me what to do, tell me what I should be doing. My goal is to have a demo ready to show at PAX East, by next year if possible.

***So let me tell you a little about Bub Sticky...the beginning parts of this game will be a prologue for the game and a 2D platformer.***

If you didn't guess by the name Bub is a stick figure. He's considered the greatest scientific mind in all the StickWorld. Bub has led a hard life. He was neglected by his mother as a kid, bullied by other children and never given a chance..but he never let it get him down. He graduated high school at a young age and flew through college. After college he goes on to create many of the inventions the stick people use, catching the attention of the, "illumitwigi" a secret organization that controls the StickWorld. They hire Bub to create a time machine for them, for the purpose of researching the past in order to change the future for their own purposes. But this project takes up years up Bubs life, and he sacrifices a lot while trying to finish the machine. He starts running out of money, losing his hair and his wife Betty leaves him. During these dark times Bub, with the "help" of his best friend Gus, tries to finish the time machine so he can go back to before he accepted the job from the illumitwigi. After many unsuccessful trials, one of which brings them Sir Mr kittensworth. A kitten from our world who came through the portal and was chopped in half when Gus shuts it off while SMK is coming through.

But finally after months of failures they finally complete the machine. With SMK at the controls the machine is activated. It begins to malfunction due to SMK being incredibly stupid though and Bub and Gus get sucked through. They get separated while traveling trough the worm hole, and are knocked out in the process of all this.

***This is where the game turns into a Kingdom Hearts style RPG, with an art style that is similar to the Manga Style they use. When I say KH, I am also referring to the gameplay style and the way your party follows you. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are also good examples.***

When Bub awakens he is surrounded by a group of people who take him to the village elders. He learns the land he's arrived in is stuck in the middle of a war between 2 Brothers King Rakka and Lord Zaanc are the rulers over two lands. The two brothers are trying to gain possession over a legendary magical living stick. This stick is a powerful weapon, said to hold the power to rule the entire world, and they believe Bub is it. They put him through training and realize he has no power that they can see, but they still send Bub on a quest with King Rakkas son: Prince Rakna, a healer and student to the Village elders: Marii and Raknas best friend, the powerful warrior: Bajdo.

***It is these three characters that the player would control through most of the game. Traveling from village to village in a fairy linear world, with lots of side quests between the lands that the two brothers rule over.

The characters will level up and have upgrades and all characters will have character specific weapons that will upgrade as well. I would also like to have armor upgrades for them.

Bub will only be used as a "summon" during most of the game. He will not do damage at first, but he will run across the screen screaming his head off, distracting enemies for you.

Bub will also be used for special 2D platforming areas to unlock doors for the characters and such.

At a middle point in the game the players will discover that Bub is not a powerful warrior by himself, but part of a legendary suit of armor only he can fit in and make complete, while they explore an ancient forgotten temple. This armor is magical and takes the form of whatever the wielder imagines. Rakna, having formed a close friendship with Bub becomes the wielder. At first Bub screams bloody murder as Rakna swings him in battle, but as you upgrade, Weapon Bub, he gets stronger and starts to encourage Rakna to fight harder.

Eventually the players will find Gus, learn more interesting facts and fight the "evil" Zaanc.***

If you're interested at all in working on this with me, please contact me.

klermond@icloud.com

http://bubsticky.blogspot.com

Here is a sample of what I did a few years back with my friend Roger. We tried to make it a comic and cartoon but I was really inspired by all of the Devs at PAX and I just want to do what I love more than anything. I want to create games for the world and be apart of the thing I love most. If you would like to collaborate with me, share your opinion and be apart of this, please let me know... This is my dream, I want to live it. Everyones voice will be heard and every opinion will count. This is going to be a TEAM project. It isn't about one person. It's about the team and creating a successful game.

Thank you for your time.

Bub Sticky - RPG/Action Adventure

Response to Bub Sticky - RPG/Action Adventure 2015-03-10 16:21:33

Getting some Character design work together! I will upload some pictures for you soon!

Response to Bub Sticky - RPG/Action Adventure 2015-03-12 15:08:11

I downloaded Unity and am trying to figure it out. If anyone had some experience with it and can give me a little tutorial, please let me know =)