00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Workshop

51,389 Views | 471 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 13:12:20

Moar studies.

@Havegum
the Loomis perspective grid really helped thanks.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 14:40:32

Gesture.

The Art Workshop

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 16:54:11 (edited 2015-03-14 16:54:32)

Told you I'd come back.

Made some facial studies. The idea was to draw the head a different way than usual for me:
Rought structure and areas / rought skull structure / facial features.
Will also delve deeper into skulls and color studies soon.
Please share your thoughs.

bigger (a bit)

The Art Workshop

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 19:05:56

environment thumbnailing. right ones are from memory. Bleh.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 19:08:55

More...

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-14 23:13:15

At 3/14/15 05:14 PM, JojoDodo wrote: Lazily doodling while watching @fxscreamer doing his thing: stream

EDIT: I tetrised them as well as i could.

Nice! I'm not sure if it's just your technique, but do you watch Proko by chance? These drawings seem to borrow the head technique I saw in one of his videos. :D

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 14:02:19

Swear you guys are so good so I started doing gesture drawing today using the croique cafe and I have to say in the beginning I was panicking with time by the last drawing of the 35 minutes I had learned I really needed to prioritize hammering in shapes and curves with the least amount of lines this was tough I think they all look awfull theres like another 2 pages of these gestures but im gona keep going.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 15:18:50

1 Point perspecive 30 mins work I know its really flat used sycra absaloutly awesome help heres the result.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 15:44:47

At 3/15/15 03:43 PM, JojoDodo wrote: more face quick thingies

Awesome job

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 18:18:10

hello again.. well this days im working in characters back view and "side face" its rly my weak point, something i rly like to do after i finish a sketch is divide the pose in "volumes" not rly muscle form, just some poits at the form change must be more perceptive .. im still refining it but it will help a lot in my future works

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 20:21:17

Quick question. If you're drawing stuff based on a prompt book e.g. 642 Things to Draw, because you're learning to draw what's stated there, does that count as a study?

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-15 21:27:25

At 3/15/15 08:21 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Quick question. If you're drawing stuff based on a prompt book e.g. 642 Things to Draw, because you're learning to draw what's stated there, does that count as a study?

It's in a bit of a weird spot because while I believe the intention is there, I think it's a terribly ineffective way to improve compared to more conventional ways - If you're doing them from imagination then there's the chance of reinforcing bad habits, and even when using reference you're only sticking with the subject at hand for the duration of a single drawing. The varying themes makes the medium the only constant factor, so that's what I imagine you'd be getting most feedback on.

A workaround to this would be to make a bunch of preliminary studies before diving into the main drawing. Say your theme was storm, maybe find some photos of different kinds of storms and draw them - in what way is a snowstorm different from a thunder storm? Maybe use thumbnail sketches to explore how to best express the essence of what you're thinking of when thinking of a storm? Perhaps do master studies of how great artists chose to capture the concept of storm on a canvas? I think this will help build a much stronger visual library. If you do the preliminary sketches a day or two before the finished piece you might get some input on areas to improve on - this in turn can lead to more studies, or just extra awareness when doing the piece!

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 02:04:48

heads and stuff. My proportions still feel wacky, but I think I'm getting a better feel for when things are off or not rounding off in space properly. Most of all they still don't feel realistic, sizes and proportions are still lacking to be convincing.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 06:06:14

@LuisEC - You're studies are awesome and really motivating.

@TheMightyCelt - Gestures yey! Their lookin' great. Just remember to keep on doing them everyday. C:
As for persepective, you could use google street view and find a view point that looks interesting to you, take a prt scr of it, and find the eye line, perspective lines, vanishing point. etc of that particular view.

----

More and more I find I suck at doing this 30 min class mode thing.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 07:51:34

yey anatomy...

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 12:38:05

This thread has been filling up my Follow feed for a while now, and everytime I look at it I feel guilty that I'm weak at fundamental stuff such as anatomy.

I've had a go at doing 2 minute studies of faces using Gumby's helpful link to Quickposes, and ImagineFX's guide to structuring the head.

First set (these are all done in order, btw) ...

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 12:44:31

... and second set.

I found this tough: none of these faces look like the beautiful people on Quickposes! I'll probably do some more and a couple of 10 minute studies later.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 17:35:06

@amaralzex
Dividing your figures into volume groups is very good thing to do, though you really don't want to miss out on actually studying muscles. It will make your work alot easier in the long run. What you have done in your sketch though is great and shows that you have a fair understanding of muscles. Also looks cute.

When it comes to face profiles: It helped me alot to "break down" the face before drawing it. This is how I do them. Also look up some references on profiles as you practice them.
Good luck m8.

@JojoDodo
Great faces, Jojo. Love how expressive they are.

@TheMightyCelt
Dont Panic with gestures Celt. Try to stick to the basics first and capture the "soul" of the pose instead of bothering with details and getting everything right. Even if all you end up with are some stickmen with a couple of lines indicating where muscles would be. A small tip: Don't make so many squirgly lines and try doing single, longer strokes.

The problem with 1 point perspective pictures is that they are flat by nature. If you want your pictures to look 3-dimentional, try a 2 (or even 3) point perspective. This is where magic happens. 1 point is good for very stylized work.
Good call on Sycra, btw. His stuff is incredibly helpfull.

I had some nice studies but accidentaly overwritten the file because I'm an idiot. : |

The Art Workshop

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 17:41:53

Thanks for the tips buddy I gesture with pencil and paper far better but trying to stick to a tablet still getting used to the not looking at what your drawing if that makes sense.
Really appreciate all the advice though from everyone.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-16 19:13:40

At 3/16/15 12:44 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I'll probably do some more and a couple of 10 minute studies later.

Didn't do this.
Did some studies of Michael Bay instead.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 00:45:13

some value practice. I learned adjusting Flow is better for me for controlling edges, gradients and other fine tune stuff while keeping clean - moreso than lowering opacity.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 03:11:07

At 3/16/15 08:08 PM, JojoDodo wrote:
At 3/16/15 07:13 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Did some studies of Michael Bay instead.
meh, needs more explosions and lens flare :3.

And explosions! :D

At 3/16/15 05:35 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: I had some nice studies but accidentaly overwritten the file because I'm an idiot. : |

I feel your pain.. T^T

At 3/17/15 12:45 AM, LuisEC wrote: some value practice. I learned adjusting Flow is better for me for controlling edges, gradients and other fine tune stuff while keeping clean - moreso than lowering opacity.

I am extremely jelly of you. xD

----------

Landmark gestures for anatomy lessons..
I'm gonna stop doing the 30 minute class figure drawing for now.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 08:19:34

At 3/17/15 12:45 AM, LuisEC wrote: I learned adjusting Flow is better for me for controlling edges, gradients and other fine tune stuff while keeping clean - moreso than lowering opacity.

Hm, I've never really played with the Flow settings before. Yeah, looks like it's good for building up colour.

At 3/17/15 03:11 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Landmark gestures for anatomy lessons..
I'm gonna stop doing the 30 minute class figure drawing for now.

These are looking cool, I like that you're using confident single strokes to build the poses.

At 3/16/15 08:08 PM, JojoDodo wrote: meh, needs more explosions and lens flare :3.

:( I'll try blowing him up in the future.

=======
My attempts at 2min faces again. Bit shitty today. I've included the photos with some sketchovers to figure out why the match is pretty poor. For the most part I think I'm not judging the length of the faces too well and that I'm mislocating eye sockets.

Part 1

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 08:19:58

Part 2

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 13:43:10

@TurkeyOnAStick Honestly drawing faces in two minutes is really difficult to me, if i were you i'd go with 5 minutes each, as struggling to get the likeness right so quick is more frustrating than helpful IMO. If it helps, maybe instead of trying to draw the features of the face directly, you could try to draw the planes of the head, a bit more simplified even, what i do is try to imagine those shadows that form around the eyes when there's a strong light coming from above, also a line that goes through the side of the face describing a bit the form of it, i made this really quick example of what i mean. You can then add the eyes and the rest of stuff.

So i'm designing a character, she's supposed to be a really wealthy girl who gets banished from her city, this city is somewhat victorian like so her clothes are supposed to resemble victorian clothes, but i don't need them to be accurate, also she's supposed to be dressed for traveling, so i want a good cool/practical ratio, it gotta look nice, but be practical, yknow. I'd appreciate it if u guys could tell me which one of these u like more, or which details you like and which you don't. Thx bai.

The Art Workshop

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 14:53:06

At 3/17/15 01:43 PM, Daker777NG wrote: pic

For me it's a toss up between the first and last one.
The major difference of course is the vest style. I like the spread open style of the first one, because it's elegant while still giving some freedom of movement, but the last one is much better suited for an adventurer (minimal hanging cloth). It's very practical, thus the belt and pouch(?) as well. Last one seems less refined and more boyish IMO though so I can't decide.

Also I say yes to headband. Adds a touch of femininity.

I guess in the end it comes down to her personality. If she's more practical, go with the last one. If she still holds on to her old life of wealth and leisure, first one is more appropriate.

(>'-')>

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 20:56:49 (edited 2015-03-17 21:04:03)

@Turkeyonastick
I'd recommend taking 10 minutes for faces, last year I did a lot of quicker faces. While it did help me internalize some stuff regarding proportions and "seeing" the Loomis approach, don't feel the benefit was as much as it could've been if I'd spent a bit longer per face. It's just enough time to start capturing likeness but not enough to worry about tiny details. The only downside is I've found it's extremely intense and taxing. Also skull studies are always cool.

@123mine123
When doing the class modes and you're transitioning into the longer timers, I'd recommend try doing a sort of "cel" shading approach! Try finding good "average" values for areas exposed to light and areas in shadow. I'm doing a terrible job explaining it but the point is to train your eye for nailing values. It also puts some focus on

--

I want to get better at drawing from imagination, and part of that is knowing in and out the shapes that make up the body. I had some muscle anatomy references up along with the images I were taking the legs from and tried to mark the major muscle groups together. I may have simplified too much when I consider the muscles of the upper leg essentially as four flattened cylindrical shapes hugging each other but I consider it a fundamental understanding to build more details on top of later.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 22:14:56

Working on those figures. I am trying to get my lines more confident looking. These are just 30 second studies.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-17 23:22:21

Technology not cooperating today. Here's my studies.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-18 05:26:57

At 3/17/15 01:43 PM, Daker777NG wrote: @TurkeyOnAStick Honestly drawing faces in two minutes is really difficult to me, if i were you i'd go with 5 minutes each, as struggling to get the likeness right so quick is more frustrating than helpful IMO. If it helps, maybe instead of trying to draw the features of the face directly, you could try to draw the planes of the head, a bit more simplified even, what i do is try to imagine those shadows that form around the eyes when there's a strong light coming from above, also a line that goes through the side of the face describing a bit the form of it, i made this really quick example of what i mean. You can then add the eyes and the rest of stuff.

So i'm designing a character, she's supposed to be a really wealthy girl who gets banished from her city, this city is somewhat victorian like so her clothes are supposed to resemble victorian clothes, but i don't need them to be accurate, also she's supposed to be dressed for traveling, so i want a good cool/practical ratio, it gotta look nice, but be practical, yknow. I'd appreciate it if u guys could tell me which one of these u like more, or which details you like and which you don't. Thx bai.

I think that the third seems most practical and yet still retains a fashionable flare. She might need a hat and cloak too, though it just might cover her form too much for this study. The satchel is a good touch, but do you think she could use another pouch or accessory belt? I might be overthinking it, but if she is traveling alone, I don't think everything is going to fit in it.

I've done a value study for this morning. Kinda my first time doing it in such a way, so there may be mistakes but it turned out better than I thought it would :)

The Art Workshop