00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Prove you're living in Real World

2,006 Views | 25 Replies

Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 02:54:20

I've always had a fascination with Solipsism and the concept that you can't really know anything for certain (not even this statement), and I've always wondered, could you think your way to an answer to the question "are you living in the Matrix"?

The most obvious way to tell for me would be kind of a 13th floor type deal, where one can only walk/fly/swim so far around the "map" before they eventually hit the "end of the world" so to speak.

How would you figure out if you were living in the Matrix?

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 02:58:47

The most obvious way to tell for me would be kind of a 13th floor type deal, where one can only walk/fly/swim so far around the "map" before they eventually hit the "end of the world" so to speak.

ez m8 assault some1 on the street if they dont bend and you're arrested then its the living world

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 03:38:21

This is actually something that is a large part of my psychotic episodes/delusions. Sometimes I convince myself that I'm actually part of the matrix. I still don't know how to prove that I'm in the real world so I just kinda ride on the idea.

I've got a funny feeling they've got plastic in the afterlife.

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 04:14:21

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 05:37:28

I can't.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

I know that I'm not dreaming because I check by holding my nose and trying to breath through it

On topic thanks for feeding my fears asshole

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 07:48:33

At 3/1/15 02:54 AM, naronic wrote: How would you figure out if you were living in the Matrix?

If i was living in the Matrix i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have let someone make the Matrix movies.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 07:52:34

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 09:49:37

We are living in a world that is projected by the moon, and powered by Saturn. This "Matrix" is nothing but a physical world simulated through the illusion of our five senses. Get learned bitches.

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 10:17:30

The Matrix movie isn't really to be taken literally. It's more of a metaphor, meaning most people are delusional, and can't accept reality.

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 11:17:18

"..and crawling on the planet's face: some insects called the human race-- lost in time, and lost in space, and meaning."

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 16:12:47

At 3/1/15 07:48 AM, Radaketor wrote:
At 3/1/15 02:54 AM, naronic wrote: How would you figure out if you were living in the Matrix?
If i was living in the Matrix i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have let someone make the Matrix movies.

That is true.
Although doubt of a world could simply be a natural part of the simulation.

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 16:28:12

From my shallow understanding of philosophy, you can't prove that anything, besides your consciousness, exists. And even proving your consciousness exists doesn't really do anything, as you can only really prove it to yourself. Everyone else could be a manifestation of your psyche, or a projection into whatever simulation/dream you're in. Or you could be a manifestation/projection in my simulation.

But there's a concept called properly basic beliefs, and it's all about beliefs that are completely rational to hold until proven otherwise. For instance, I perceive a world and people outside of myself, so I can rationally believe that I live in a world that one could call "real." Another example is the geocentric model. It was once perfectly rational to believe that the heavens orbited the Earth, as it appeared that movement took place, while we feel no movement on the ground. Of course, this was later shown to be incorrect, so the geocentric model is no longer a properly basic belief.

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 19:33:18

Invent a resurrection elixir, find a random person, stab the fucker, resurrect him and hear his answer.

Problem solved

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

the best AAA Indie game in the making, help the game by spreading the word! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-01 19:51:52

We're on computers right now.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-02 17:00:52

It is not 1999 , so I am not in the Matrix.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-02 17:07:22

I can't prove that I am real. In fact, I am a spambot making weight loss threads and sports live stream threads.

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-02 18:18:36

This is the same as a basic comparison in computer language. Is what you are experiencing right now (x) equal to the real world (y)?

return(x == y);

The obvious issue here is that both of these terms need to be defined. X can be defined in qualitative terms, such as the environment and inhabiting objects that can be perceived. However, there is no way to define Y because it can only be defined in relation to X. So a more appropriate statement would be as follows:

y = x;

What this effectively means is that because X is what we are experiencing, Y is the real world, which sounds backward but isn't. If you can only experience things within a certain range, it's pointless to debate what lies outside of that range, and in fact, based on all of our definitions of reality, anything outside of that range would not be reality. A simpler statement would be that illusions are created in the image and likeness of a reality, but if no reality exists, no illusion exists, so one world cannot be proven to be "more real" than another.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-02 21:22:52

I reckon we'll never truly know, but that sure isn't gonna stop me from doing anything (granted those things might be pre-programmed for me to do).

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-03-02 22:46:11

Create as extensive and as complex a matrix as I think I live in. If possible, I live in the real world.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-05 22:51:07

I can beat my own dick, that's all the proof i need.

Oldskies lmao

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-05 23:41:24

At 3/1/15 02:54 AM, naronic wrote: I've always had a fascination with Solipsism and the concept that you can't really know anything for certain (not even this statement), and I've always wondered, could you think your way to an answer to the question "are you living in the Matrix"?

There's no way. It really depends on how you define the real world. To prove you're not dreaming, just ask someone to tell you something you don't know, and then confirm it. This proves that the universe exists outside your own mind, assuming that your thoughts have continuity.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-05 23:44:16

Solipsism is dumb. There are just some things we have to accept as axiomatic so as to not go insane and/or look like a complete jackass. One of those things is that other people exist.

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-06 00:48:08

I can prove it's the real world because the only way for a world to be this shitty is by random chance.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-06 04:00:34

The magic pixie fairy told me I'm real.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Prove you're living in Real World 2015-11-06 21:58:12

i took the red pill...