00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Things in anime that piss you off

10,044 Views | 136 Replies

At 3/1/15 03:09 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 3/1/15 03:05 PM, Deshiel wrote: It pisses me off that Annie didnt fug with Eren
You do realize that they were at training camp, barely what? Fifteen? They probably would have been kicked out for fraternization. And lived in separate dorms. And there was the whole fact that Annie was a spy...

I know all that. I'm sure that there will be some super cute explanation as to why she did what she did. Besides everyone already fucks around 13 years of age.

I'm not adamant on them geting it on now tho, they can get it on when they are older, but there needs to be some precourse to that.

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 16:23:35

At 3/1/15 03:56 PM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: Bleach is one of the worst offenders in this regard.

Bleach is one of the worst offenders in a lot of regards.

Why the hell do I even read Bleach

I think you read Bleach for the same reasons I do. Inertia and the desire to snark at it.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 16:43:46

At 3/1/15 04:23 PM, someaveragechap wrote:
At 3/1/15 03:56 PM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote: Bleach is one of the worst offenders in this regard.

I think you read Bleach for the same reasons I do. Inertia and the desire to snark at it.

I'd love that to be true.

Truth is, I'm invested in the story. It's like a soap opera or pro wrestling. I know it's terrible but I still manage to wonder what'll happen next.

Fortunately it's the last arc.

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 17:15:49

At 3/1/15 03:56 PM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:
At 3/1/15 03:31 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I too can't stand too much comic relief in a story. Like okay guys lets go have a great time killing shit and getting killed yeah!
Bleach is one of the worst offenders in this regard.

At 3/1/15 03:31 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I also hate it when creators don't have the balls to kill off main characters, even for an episode!
Hell, half the time I'll settle for them killing ANY characters.

Seriously this guy survived this. He stood up after this.

THAT IS ALL OF YOUR BLOOD. NUH UH. YOU ARE DEAD. STAY DOWN.

Yeah that's another thing about anime that pisses me off. People have way too much fucking blood. It's like okay I get your really fucking strong and not a normal human or whatever but what is your heart pumping at this moment air molecules?

Yeah I thought the first episode of bleach was alright, but when I hear stuff like that it makes me feel less guilty for never reading it considering it's one of my buddies favorites.

I also hate how anime from the 80s and early 90s kicked so much ass and still remains underrated as all hell.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:21:16

At 3/1/15 05:15 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I also hate how anime from the 80s and early 90s kicked so much ass and still remains underrated as all hell.

Part of the problem is that America got into the orginial anime boom later than most of the world, largely because we had a large animation influence of our own. Also, bigotry against the Japanese may or may not have played a factor on why we have gotten such a slow start, and the ones that we did get were mishandled to say the least.

Speaking of which, a lot of dubs and dialogue in the 80's and 90's were mediocre at best, and legitimately awful at worst. Granted, they had no precedent on stuff like this (that wasn't Astro Boy or Speed Racer) and writers like Carl Macek pretty much had their hands tied with whitewashing and censorship, but having said that, it doesn't excuse the fact that they were still bad dialogue-wise.

Finally, a lot of those anime were just plain awful, regardless of language. Akira (the movie) in Japan was a massive flop, which led to a huge downturn of the quality of anime there that continued until Evangelion came out in 1995, and considering the lot that was released then, it's hard not to see how much of a mess they were. Oddly enough in the west, anime was viewed as a much more edgy alternative to Western cartoons for what it's worth, and to a certain extent, still is today. Because of this, there is a degree of revisionism that the west have with 80's and early 90's anime compared to Japan, who mostly forgot about them save for a few cherry picked series.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:25:35

The only thing that I don't like in anime is how Highly saturated the bright colors can be and how produced they are these days.And sometimes some of bullshit can be to much to believe.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:44:06

4Kids changing everything.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:49:23

When the Characters act all SJW and pretentious towards the more comical characters because being funny, defenselessly nice and not overly serious evokes contempt, because it's not at all cool to be silly and overly friendly.

Why do feminists and nerdy SJWs seem to think that being uptight and angry with no sense of humor makes them independent and superior? Most animes do that, usually with the women being like that while a guy who's friendly although a bit flippant is mistreated and "put in his place for being too nice"

Anyone who displays that personality irl are nothing but weaboo autists and I promptly call them out on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:51:34

At 3/1/15 02:26 AM, AzuneMadness wrote: Generic Ecchi anime, mc falls on new girls breasts every episode, girls who this happen to smack mc and joins his harem soon after.

It is annoying on how most of the time the MC has a behavior that would make the viewers thinks he's a homosexual and I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed the case for him.

By end of anime mc has 3-10 girls all wanting the D and the anime ends without him choosing any of them.

Really? Most of the time he does choose one and usually it's the first girl (if the said girl's a tsundere, her probability of being the chosen one skyrockets).

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-01 19:58:13

At 3/1/15 05:15 PM, DarkMatter wrote:

I also hate how anime from the 80s and early 90s kicked so much ass and still remains underrated as all hell.

Given that this is the era of me spending weekends watching wacked out shit on the scifi channel at 1 a.m, I'll agree. Armitage, dominion tank police, ninja scroll. A lot of it wasn't great but there was a type of cheesy appeal to it that shapes my taste to this day. But what sticks with me the most would have to be the Fatal Fury series, which I encourage you all to check out, legally. Here's a music video of the song on the end credits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9s_fB3hrU4 If that doesn't hype you up to the level of a Rocky montage you have no soul.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

At 3/1/15 07:21 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 3/1/15 05:15 PM, DarkMatter wrote: I also hate how anime from the 80s and early 90s kicked so much ass and still remains underrated as all hell.
Part of the problem is that America got into the orginial anime boom later than most of the world, largely because we had a large animation influence of our own. Also, bigotry against the Japanese may or may not have played a factor on why we have gotten such a slow start, and the ones that we did get were mishandled to say the least.

Also notice how some of the anime series like Doraemon, Saint Seiya, and One Piece did well on the majority of the international market and yet the U.S. seems to be the only place other than Africa where they didn't take off. Once Piece was destroyed and Funimation did the best they could to fix the damage 4Kids had made and in the case of Saint Seiya, it was waited too late and when it did got picked up...DiC raped whatever chances it had of even gaining a sizable audience.

Hyoga's surfer accent...

Even Middle Eastern audience knew what Captain Tsubasa (in different name) and Ashita no Joe is. However, for some reason they loved super robot series from what I heard.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Females with inconsistent breast sizes. For example, a female character will be wearing a t-shirt and have some average-sized ones, but later in the episode they'll be in a bikini and their "assets" have gone up a noticeable amount. I don't mind that they show off a characters "assets" in a SFW way, but they could at least keep the size of them consistent...

It happens a lot in any anime Funimation worked on

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 16:32:04

At 3/1/15 07:21 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Finally, a lot of those anime were just plain awful, regardless of language. Akira (the movie) in Japan was a massive flop, which led to a huge downturn of the quality of anime there that continued un

There may have been a lot of precursor stuff that simply sucked, but there are plenty of classic titles from that era that easily beat anything made today. And as far as dubbing and white washing, many of those titles had great english dubs, it wasn't until later that shit dubs and terrible voice direction became a mainstay in americanized anime. And please don't lump Akira in with bad anime, Akira is a classic and cyberpunk gospel.

At 3/1/15 07:58 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 3/1/15 05:15 PM, DarkMatter wrote:

Given that this is the era of me spending weekends watching wacked out shit on the scifi channel at 1 a.m, I'll agree. Armitage, dominion tank police, ninja scroll. A lot of it wasn't great.

Dude all of that stuff is gold and beats the shit out of todays anime. Stuff like Robotech shaped the sci-fi world for generations to come. Also I love fighting games gone badass anime. Sometimes it's a hit or miss but there are times where it's just too fucking good to ignore. My favorite is Street Fighter 2 the animated film. The english version has Alice in Chains and Korn I think. Seriously one of the only times I've seen that happen successfully and not as a AMV or fanmade thing.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 16:41:24

I do not consider anime an art, because its techniques revolve around being mass produced.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 16:44:12

At 3/2/15 04:41 PM, AD0LF wrote: I do not consider anime an art, because its techniques revolve around being mass produced.

That is an interesting concept. Mass production does make something less unique.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 16:44:33

At 3/2/15 04:32 PM, DarkMatter wrote:

Dude all of that stuff is gold and beats the shit out of todays anime. Stuff like Robotech shaped the sci-fi world for generations to come. Also I love fighting games gone badass anime. Sometimes it's a hit or miss but there are times where it's just too fucking good to ignore. My favorite is Street Fighter 2 the animated film. The english version has Alice in Chains and Korn I think. Seriously one of the only times I've seen that happen successfully and not as a AMV or fanmade thing.

I have both the street fighter 2 and street fighter alpha movies and they are excellent in terms of over the top badassery.
But like I said with that music video, where I cannot be held responsible if there are feature length cartoons in the recommendations bar, Fatal Fury will always have my heart in terms of fighting game anime. It's cheesy but it's self aware and goes on unapologetically. The characters had consistent personalities and motivations. All in all a fun ride.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 16:48:09

At 3/1/15 07:58 PM, stafffighter wrote:
Given that this is the era of me spending weekends watching wacked out shit on the scifi channel at 1 a.m, I'll agree. Armitage, dominion tank police, ninja scroll.

I actually got away with playing Ninja Scroll in our school news club. Any time boobs appeared on screen, me and two other guys distracted her with articles and choices about how arrange the news pages. Then a bright spark got away with a bunch of NIN videos. The disturbing and uncut ones. Good times.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-02 18:11:23

At 3/2/15 04:32 PM, DarkMatter wrote: There may have been a lot of precursor stuff that simply sucked, but there are plenty of classic titles from that era that easily beat anything made today.

This is the kind of thing that's honestly subjective at best, because trying to compare late 80's and early 90's anime quality (with a few exceptions) with animation in the late 90's and beyond is simply complicated in more ways than one. While I personally like some of the anime of that period, to say that they were better than what's being produced today is kind of iffy and is unfortunately an opinion hijacked by old-school fanboys.

And as far as dubbing and white washing, many of those titles had great english dubs, it wasn't until later that shit dubs and terrible voice direction became a mainstay in americanized anime. And please don't lump Akira in with bad anime, Akira is a classic and cyberpunk gospel.

First, I never said that Akira was a bad anime, I simply stated that it flopped big time in Japan, which led to a slump in anime quality until NGE came out. That doesn't mean that there weren't good ones that came out, but take out the Gundam series and DBZ, and you could name the more memorable and good anime of that time period with two hands (and that's being generous)

Second, dubbing was mediocre if not horrible back then, which is partly why the Japanese creators started to get involved more and more with the process of a dub. 4Kids and DiC were prime offenders of such, and even Funimation in its early days weren't immune to that criticism. It wasn't until anime got a serious (if realitively small) foothold in the states did the demand of quality anime dubs increase.

While I do have my favorites (regardless of quality) of that time period, and I do have respect for old-school anime, anime for the most part has only gotten better and better over the years, and it's hard not to see why. Yes, there are certain things in modern anime that I honestly don't care for personally, but I'm not going to use that as crutch against them from a quality standpoint unless the anime is completely boring and/or awful.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

At 3/2/15 06:11 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 3/2/15 04:32 PM, DarkMatter wrote:
While I personally like some of the anime of that period, to say that they were better than what's being produced today is kind of iffy and is unfortunately an opinion hijacked by old-school fanboys.

Okay then I challenge you to find me something anime made in the late 90s to present that's better than Cyber City Oedo 808. I'm talking animation, camera angles or shots, voices, plot, story. If you don't recognize the title then I say good day to you sir.

At 2/28/15 06:31 PM, Wegra wrote: You know cliches and everything like that. For me it's the ecchi ones where the girls are total cunts and the guys are too pussy to stand up for themself.

this, and also anime where there are too many tits and upskirt shots to even see what the fuck is going on

I can tolerate passive fan service but when it that's all I can see? jesus, if that was all I wanted I would watch a hentai

Then again I prefer men so I could be biased :X

High School of the Dead comes to my mind, that was probably the shittiest anime I've ever seen

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-03 05:48:12

I really want to like anime, because I have friends who are into it, but I just can't get into it. (Same deal wit Harry Potter, but for different reasons)

The pacing is almost universally awful. You can't take 8-20 pages of a comic (and yes, manga are comics, don't be silly) and turn it into 22 minutes of animation (15 after subtracting for overly long intro, overly long recap, and overly long teaser for the next episode) especially when it's action oriented. An entire episode can go by with nothing happening. Hell, sometimes four or five episodes with no real progress. As in, you could skip those episodes and not really miss anything. It feels like it could have been two or three minutes long, but it takes 30 minutes of my life I can't get back.

The overly serialised nature gets to me too. It's a symptom of the previous problem but it annoys me in entertainment in general. In a medical or police drama, they have a case they get through by the end of the episode, but at the same time the relationships between the characters are explored, and the overarcing plot advances itself. With anime, so often it's all the long term narrative, and often it doesn't really move forward at all.

When none of the main characters ever die, or don't stay dead. It makes everything feel like it doesn't matter who wins or loses. Who cares what kind of dangerous situations the cast get into when you know everyone is going to be fine?

Size and muscle mass having no bearing on strength. I get that it started as a subversion of expectations. But at this point it feels more like the rule than the exception. Especially children beating up muscly adults. If they explain it away as the little guy is magic or a robot, I guess it's okay, but most of the time it's just stupid.

Timing the English dub to match the Japanese speech patterns. They could do it like video games where it doesn't match and we don't care. Or they could do it like DBZA where they reanimate some parts for better lip sync. But no, they do it the dumbest way possible. Japanese and English speech patterns are radically different; when you translate it like this, it just sounds weird and stilted.

When all the female characters have the same face, and can only be differentiated by hairstyles, clothing, and breast size.

Male characters who look like female characters, and sound like females too. It wouldn't bug me so much if it didn't come up so often.

There's probably more. But that's all I an come up with for now.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-03 08:06:08

I really dislike moe characters, with their high pitched voices and eckhkhk.

Also, hentai is annoying as fuck because they don't even look or sound like they're enjoying it, so it's pretty much rape. Not to mention that loli shit. What the hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-05 14:18:03

At 3/3/15 08:06 AM, larrynachos wrote: I really dislike moe characters, with their high pitched voices and eckhkhk.

Also, hentai is annoying as fuck because they don't even look or sound like they're enjoying it, so it's pretty much rape. Not to mention that loli shit. What the hell.

I wouldn't be surprised if that could be the reason why most of the hentai fan art I came across involves rape due to the sound being made.

I mean have you seen the Japanese audio of G Gundam episode when Rain attempts to pilot a Shining Gundam? It's like she's having orgasm.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-05 17:35:26

Fillers...
Just get on with the god damned story please.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-05 17:42:49

At 2/28/15 06:31 PM, Wegra wrote: You know cliches and everything like that. For me it's the ecchi ones where the girls are total cunts and the guys are too pussy to stand up for themself.

Most of anime in general pisses me off.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-05 18:01:28

At 3/5/15 05:24 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote: I suppose what irks me in anime most is something @Phobotech mentioned. An almost bi-polar comedic shift in mood. I can understand when it happens in another series, like from Zeta to ZZ. ZZ was so silly in the beginning because of how bleak Zeta got, it was meant as a breather before shit got real again later in the series. What I can't stand is when it happens, not just in in the same series, but in the same scene no less.

Since the post of mine that you referred to, I've finally seen the rest of ZZ Gundam, and it finally picks up at about halfway through and starts feeling like a Gundam show again...with minor hiccups throughout (and obnoxious children).

By the point where ZZ wrapped up, I was like, "Yeah alright, it wasn't downright awful." but I think your post helped me out with understanding the lighthearted tone at first. Zeta's ending was REALLY heavy, in the span of two episodes, major characters that had been in the show since the start were dying left and right and all over the place, but the tonal shift was JARRING. I've come to just kinda accept that, sure, why not have a sillier Gundam series in the pile. Hell, I still think about Chara Soon, and she was downright ridiculous.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-05 21:18:15

When the ending of an anime makes no sense and pretty much nothing is concluded, then there is no second season.

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-06 12:14:55

I haven't watched a whole lot of Anime. But I can tell you right now, Yuma Tsukumo (who is actually the main character in ZeXal) is FUCKING ANNOYING.

Things in anime that piss you off

just call me "Jay", thanks.

ask me questions i guess

Profile Image by https://twitter.com/Momochii_art

Response to Things in anime that piss you off 2015-03-06 12:16:53

At 2/28/15 06:31 PM, supergandhi64 wrote: i love everything about anime. anime is pretty much perfect

--supergandhi64

This guy pisses me off most about anime.

Naked women out of nowhere or rape or something. Watching the amazing Hokuto no Ken Gaiden series of films / short series whatever you call those type of long part things. Watching Kenshiro beating people up and it's all great! Then suddenly this character they introduced ends up getting stripped down by the current bad guy and paralysed and laid on the bed, basically heavily hinting rape going on, and it shows her after with her mind vacant and still not wearing anything clearly hurt, and it's like....I don't want to see this! I didn't come to watch violating sex shit (it turns out later she once loved the guy and stuff in the past, but still), I came to watch Kenshiro fight dudes!

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature