00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should consoles be Obsolete?

2,985 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 07:16:22

Sure, we have Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U and stuff but come the next generstion, do you think Sony, Microsoft etc. would migrate entirely to the PC side and leaving their console business behind? Sure, they might still have their own game services but that's about it.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 08:32:10

there is only the PC.

Should consoles be Obsolete?

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 08:36:27

I don't think you realize how simple this question is to answer. It is way more profitable to make a console than it is to sell your games online. SEGA lost too much money to justify continuing in the console market, and nothing short of that will cause consoles to become obsolete.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 10:50:53

NO, consoles are still a great way to enjoy video games.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 12:44:37

if consoles can make money with little effort. it will live forever

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 12:57:24

With the console having more and more features (playing movies, music, internet browser, sending pm's, etc.) I can imagine they'll eventually become PC's one day.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 13:29:43

PCs and consoles can coexist. Not everything in videogameland has to be in a constant state of war.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 18:17:06

At 2/24/15 01:28 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 2/24/15 08:36 AM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: I don't think you realize how simple this question is to answer. It is way more profitable to make a console than it is to sell your games online. SEGA lost too much money to justify continuing in the console market, and nothing short of that will cause consoles to become obsolete.
help me to understand your reasoning.. so a console can make all consoles in existence including itself obsolete?

You misunderstand, anything short of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft going bankrupt will mean consoles will continue to exist for a long time. I don't see any of them leaving the race anytime soon.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 22:07:37

At 2/24/15 06:33 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote: microsoft sucks. we both know that. however, sony trumps nintendo in product quality.. even if they're all shit.

I'm not going to dispute this since this statement is your opinion, but I most of that statement irks me.

financials mean nothing to a person who has no belief in money such as myself.. quality is everything.. if i had money to blow i'd gladly toss it at the companies provided they made the changes i desired.. i have no need for money, they apparently arent as intrinsically motivated as me..
honestly i dont believe those who are extrinsically motivated should have jobs at all.. nor should society put up expectations of them requiring them to have one.
at any rate.. sony going under would fuck the industry even worse than it already is fucked..

I apologize for opening up such a fundamental philosophical debate. I didn't realize you felt so strongly about this. I really doubt a forum post in a forum about videogames will change your mind on any of what you just said, so I'll leave it be.

Any of the companies going under would be bad. People (including myself) enjoy having consoles because we'd rather not spend ages and tons of money trying to get a decent PC. I'm happy to get old games for my Gamecube and play those until a new game that I'm excited comes out. Relying on one system isn't how someone should view a medium about playing games. Play games however you want, and enjoy as many as you can afford.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-24 23:10:45

I will never understand where all the Nintendo hates comes from. Not only are they the original video company since the 80's , but they still produce quality games. Sony and X-box fans must be jelly or just mad.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-25 17:21:55

At 2/25/15 04:02 PM, oobooglunk wrote: The only plausible scenario in which consoles become obsolete is one in which gaming becomes a high-class activity for wealthy people.

Or in mysticvortex13's case, a scenario in which all videogames become comfortably piratable on PC without remorse.. hmm.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-25 18:07:20

Yahtzee mentioned it best that what consoles are amazing for is local multiplayer games for when you have friends around which is very true, even if you share the same room with someone you are playing on your pc with it distances the two of you and you instead focus on the interaction over the PC rather than the interaction between the two of you playing on the same console.

But instead of focusing consoles around that thing which they clearly have superior, they instead try to beat the PC in multimedia shit which no one wants on a console since the PC is made for that type of thing.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-02-25 20:57:02

If you really want consoles to be obsolete then just don't buy them period.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-04 17:47:30

There will always be a place for consoles. It's still a bit hard to afford gaming PCs, so that's where consoles come in.

Anyways, I think they'll be around for a very long time.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-05 11:22:46

Maybe, if PCs had the rumble pact feature they would be one step closer.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-10 18:20:11

Consoles will not become obsolete. People will always continue to play games on the television via counsels (lets be honest, TV screens are bigger and better than computer screens). Nostalgia will keep it alive in the case the PC gaming does supersede console gaming. I am not saying PC gaming is bad or anything but I don't think consoles are going anywhere anytime soon.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-11 03:15:02

i tried to switch over to pc gaming, i really did
but here's the thing, i grew up on consoles, i am most comfortable with consoles, i'm still not ready to make the transition over to pc. i find the simplicity of consoles, the reliability, the fact that it's easy to know whether or not a game will work with consoles just so much nicer. pc mustard rice people always talking about how pc is so much better in every way, but i don't wanna be thinking about "oh will this run on my pc?" or "oh what's my graphics card" or... y'know? i just wanna sit down and play a game. i wanna buy a game and take it home and have it work without compatability issues making it only semi-playable.
so no
consoles should not be obsolete, because some people are happy with the relative simplicity.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-11 09:18:50

Consoles create a standardisation which I need. I'd rather not have to constantly upgrade parts to keep up with new games coming out.

I'm saying this as somebody who's only just made the switch to PC gaming - the main reason I did was backwards compatibility. While I would've preferred Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires to be better optimised for PC, I like the fact that the PC I have now is good enough to run games (even if not at the highest setting) for a good few years until the consoles catch up.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-11 10:37:49

I don't really see any point to the PC vs Console wars all around. Essentially they work the same when it comes down to gaming and videos and such. The hardware is all the same, most things you can do on a PC you can do on a console now-a-days. Most games are available across the board. It really comes down to aesthetics, and how you like to play. Some people prefer a controller over a keyboard and mouse.

There could be other factors, but this is just what I see. I'm not a hardcore gamer to sit down and analyse every little detail.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-15 14:06:26

Adam Koralik put out a video shortly after the 8th Gen platforms hit that talks about this somewhat. I don't necessarily agree 100% with his central point, but he does provide a compelling argument that is worth consideration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNSa0mSlME

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-15 14:37:42

If consoles disappear, it would bring about a serious lack of competition in the video gaming industry and that would be a horrible thing. It's because of competition that games surpass each other all the time, this includes the machines used to operate them. If everything ends up on PC, we will lose a lot instead of gaining a lot.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-15 16:12:08

You have to consider the people who don't know how to build/optimize a gaming PC or don't have the money (or don't want) to spend on it.
Consoles are cheaper and easy to use, and I don't think dumbed-down graphics are an issue to someone who just wants to pick up something and play.
It seems the only people who question the reason for there being consoles are 'pro gamers'. Not everyone who plays video games is a 'pro gamer', and excluding casuals is bad for business.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-29 04:39:28

Nah. They're a'ight.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-29 15:05:47

consoles have always been obsolete but they thrive in their exposure to the mainstream marketplace, ease of accessibility and use, and equal/reliable performance. Fact is that devs. generally make more money on consoles because more people own them. Hence consoles wont be going away anytime soon.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-29 15:12:11

It might happen some day, computers have much stronger hardware than the simple console. Not to say I don't play on consoles, it's just the facts.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-30 07:00:26

At 3/15/15 04:12 PM, LightningLion wrote: You have to consider the people who don't know how to build/optimize a gaming PC or don't have the money (or don't want) to spend on it.
Consoles are cheaper and easy to use, and I don't think dumbed-down graphics are an issue to someone who just wants to pick up something and play.
It seems the only people who question the reason for there being consoles are 'pro gamers'. Not everyone who plays video games is a 'pro gamer', and excluding casuals is bad for business.

Actually, it's been proven, time and time again that PCs are cheaper. Accounting for all of the 100 or so games on my steam account? Retail price = 800 dollars. Actual cash spent? ~300. I have about 6 indie titles. The rest were major releases. Price of Xbone with controller? ~4-500 dollars. TV? 100-400 dollars for a smaller to mid sized one. Games? 20-60.

PC = 500 dollars. Games? 4-30 bucks new. I don't need CDs. If I buy a laptop for school, and I travel? I can just sign onto my account and download those games instead of having to lug around a console and it's peripherals.

Don't want to use a mouse and keyboard? That's fine. PC can use an xbox or Playstation controller, or other peripherals if you'd like.

Number of PC exclusives compared to console exclusives is ridiculous. About 10 to 1. Backwards compatibility? Yup. Consoles are easier to use? LOL. Try typing up one sentence on a controller in the time it takes me to type a paragraph with a keyboard.

Pro-gamers? LOL no. There are more casual mobile and PC gamers than there are console gamers.

Stop spreading falsities. Thanks.

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-03-31 16:51:55

It will never happen. Consoles will survive.

BBS Signature

Response to Should consoles be Obsolete? 2015-04-02 17:24:07

At 2/24/15 07:16 AM, LauriJ wrote: Sure, we have Xbox One, PS4 and Wii U and stuff but come the next generstion, do you think Sony, Microsoft etc. would migrate entirely to the PC side and leaving their console business behind? Sure, they might still have their own game services but that's about it.

The next gen consoles OS and framework will be identical to computers and will be compatible.

It has taken a long time for them to reach this point but they are finally ready to just be gaming pc's.

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Consoles have already started becoming obsolete. And I really hope the Valve Steam machines will help extensively to eliminate consoles altogether. This may sound kind of harsh but that's how it is.

Because let's face it: Consoles are what's holding back the graphical (and even artistic, creative) evolution of games and the ability to take advantage of current PC hardware, because these days everything is a console port, obviously. They brought us DLCs, most recently micro-transactions, brought the idea of franchises that get pooped out on a yearly basis, that solely exist for the intent to milk $$$ from retarded people, who are willing to buy the same shit over and over again (Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc.). Also they aren't open systems like the PC, and it's a lot harder (meaning more expensive) to get your indie game released on a console.

Yes, consoles helped making gaming mass-consumer friendly, but I don't view that as a good thing. These days every game gets developed in consideration of appealing to a wide rage of audiences. That sucks, I loved the 90s where you still had little niches for every genre that actually differentiated from each other quite drastically. Also games were a lot harder (in a good way) and not casualized like today. Yes I know there are exceptions and as of recently, there seems to be a higher demand in challenging games, which is awesome of course. Also there is Kickstarter, which in the last few years has led to resurgence of these kinds of games, on the PC obviously.

Anyhow, we are already seeing consoles gradually becoming more and more obsolete, because technology is evolving so fast, there simply is no more market really for a stationary, inupgradeable, closed-system console sitting in your living room, for like 8 years. It would be stupid not to assume, that this may very well be the last "classic" console generation as we know it. The developers, in their ambition to be graphically opulent on the consoles (which already are low-spec PC hardware by now), already have to cap the frame rates at 30fps in many games... And this is the generation that Sony wants to release a piece of VR hardware for, it's ridiculous. Does Sony have the slightest idea how much processing power it takes to render VR in a convincing kind of way, at frame rates that don't cause nausea, WITH nice graphics?

The future of gaming and home of innovation lies on the pc, and in the slightly further future, phones (Yes, phones. In just a few years they will have enough power to render your VR games on-the-go) and portable VR devices that you can take anywhere. For stationary gaming however, whether VR or not, PC will be the go-to platform of the future.