00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

You can now disable downloads

2,877 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Some people don't like publishing music on NG when it's so easily downloadable, so PsychoGoldfish added the ability to disable audio downloads today. Here's how to do it:

'Edit your audio project. Under the Publication Details section, there is a check box at the bottom of the section labeled "Allow downloads." Uncheck this box and (re) publish your project to disable downloads.'

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 17:01:43

Interesting feature! :)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 17:12:34

Interesting feature. Reminds me of SoundCloud in a way. Similar reasoning, I assume?

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 17:32:26

Cool. I will be able to upload finished commercial game OSTs now that I couldn't upload before. :)
Thanks for making the change!

I'll be sure to keep 90% of my tracks still available though, in the spirit of the Audio Portal.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

oooooooooooooh this is a very interesting turn of events

nice one guys, might upload some tracks I never could before :)

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 17:46:10

Amazing! :D

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 17:46:46

Self-advertising threads, a FAQ, podcasts, and now a download option. It's only February and it already feels like a great year for the AP.

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 18:00:00

At 2/23/15 05:46 PM, FinaLee wrote: Self-advertising threads, a FAQ, podcasts, and now a download option. It's only February and it already feels like a great year for the AP.

Still waiting for dat Top 5 and dem awards to return ༼ ◕_◕ ༽

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 18:09:44

Well for the time being this will suffice for posting commercial material.

Deserves to be announced with a bit more fanfare eventually as this does have a lot of future implications.

You can now disable downloads

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 18:26:45

At 2/23/15 06:00 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 2/23/15 05:46 PM, FinaLee wrote: Self-advertising threads, a FAQ, podcasts, and now a download option. It's only February and it already feels like a great year for the AP.
Still waiting for dat Top 5 and dem awards to return ༼ ◕_◕ ༽

All I'd like now is the ability to see who favourited your submissions.

And then I will be set for life. ༼ ◕_◕ ༽

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 18:28:51

At 2/23/15 06:26 PM, Step wrote: All I'd like now is the ability to see who favourited your submissions.

I'll check into it. :)

Glad you all are appreciating this change!

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 19:38:59

Wow! Awesome feature; I've been looking forward to something like this for a while. Much appreciated!

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-23 20:30:06

Woooooooo!

The Audio community has been getting a lot of love lately.

Sweet!

Just updated all of my tunes!

They're still free to download, just not here.
Gotta keep a broad market, nah mean?

Click for the free download of Riptide and more!

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-24 06:35:22

Hurray, I'll never use it.

Well unless remixes become a thing with the license thing, and disabling downloads is a must.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-24 07:20:24

Great feature to have.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-24 13:15:18

This is anecellent addition. I have been lurking here for a while and it's took a long time for the AP to get the love it truly deserves but all these new additions should really help get more exposure to all the incredible talent here.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-24 19:09:10

Rockin'. Being unable to turn off downloads swayed me away from uploading whole clips.

Streets ahead. If you have to ask, you're streets behind.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 00:56:08

At 2/23/15 04:57 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Some people don't like publishing music on NG when it's so easily downloadable, so PsychoGoldfish added the ability to disable audio downloads today. Here's how to do it:

'Edit your audio project. Under the Publication Details section, there is a check box at the bottom of the section labeled "Allow downloads." Uncheck this box and (re) publish your project to disable downloads.'

Yeah but someone could easily just open a recording program and just hit record. lol

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 01:32:08

At 2/25/15 01:30 AM, rupert484 wrote:
At 2/25/15 12:56 AM, Phyrnna wrote:
At 2/23/15 04:57 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Some people don't like publishing music on NG when it's so easily downloadable, so PsychoGoldfish added the ability to disable audio downloads today. Here's how to do it:

Yeah but someone could easily just open a recording program and just hit record. lol
To be fair, I don't think the common listener who doesn't work with sound would know how to use stereo mix AND set it to have perfect quality.
And I assume the artists here on NG have the consideration to not record if the download option isn't available.

Anyway, I think this is a great option and is something that I've wanted for years of lurking on this site. Good job staff, and thank you!

In all honesty I meant that in jest. I do agree that it's a great option.

Though if we were to speak seriously, it's not the common user or fellow NGer that you should be worried about. It's the music thieves. :P

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 08:25:10

So I've noticed that you can still download a song with disabled download in .WAV format when you right click and select "Download song as WAV" :P

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 08:49:55

At 2/23/15 05:38 PM, AeroMusic wrote: oooooooooooooh this is a very interesting turn of events

nice one guys, might upload some tracks I never could before :)

Sick!

This is good.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 08:53:31

Now we need an experience system for audio and we are all set :)

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-25 21:24:34

Many kudos -- thanks for implementing this. Yes, music theft is always going to be an issue, but this provides more protection for artists. If downloads are disabled and someone rips the music, you have a stronger leg to stand on when trying to leverage removals from various sites. It's much more powerful to say "This person ripped the music against the Newgrounds TOS", than say "This person pressed the download button and I didn't like it".

BBS Signature

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-26 11:18:32

At 2/25/15 01:38 AM, rupert484 wrote:
At 2/25/15 01:32 AM, Phyrnna wrote: In all honesty I meant that in jest. I do agree that it's a great option.

Though if we were to speak seriously, it's not the common user or fellow NGer that you should be worried about. It's the music thieves. :P
Yeah, I got you :P But at the same time it can be a legitimate concern.
But when it's all said and done, there really isn't anything we can do about music pirates- or pirates in general, so it's best to just accept that they are out there.

Ditto. If someone really wants your song or product or whatever, there is NOTHING you can do to stop them, and that's something everyone has to come to terms with at some point. I figure at my level of skill and production, it doesn't matter who downloads or uses my music unless they try to sell it or call it their own, which is of little concern for more traditional orchestral. DMCA'ing all over the internet is probably the least enjoyable activity I have ever done, so I'll just stick to the music and see where that gets me.

A few years back, I'd be in the same boat, trying to copyright and yellow tape up everything I make. However, having branched into sample library development, I've gained a better understanding of when to be protective and when to let things slide. In most cases at the hobby level, it is highly beneficial to allow my libraries to be pirated. I've even had cases where people have posted on the pirate portal "hell, it's only $10, I'll just buy it". That sort of stuff makes me most pleased in the quality of my work. I don't exactly advocate piracy, but it has its role in the market.

I think this addition is a nice "whatever helps you sleep at night" thing for those who are protective of their work, as well as a handy tool for those like myself who work for other people regularly and don't often get to share the fruits of their labor. Will this change anything significantly beyond putting a few people at ease? Probably not, I think, and I am happy about that. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

At 2/25/15 09:24 PM, DavidOrr wrote: Many kudos -- thanks for implementing this. Yes, music theft is always going to be an issue, but this provides more protection for artists. If downloads are disabled and someone rips the music, you have a stronger leg to stand on when trying to leverage removals from various sites. It's much more powerful to say "This person ripped the music against the Newgrounds TOS", than say "This person pressed the download button and I didn't like it".

This.

Lack of a download option isn't there to actually stop people from saving a copy of your song. There's countless ways to do that easily.

It's there to represent the artist's choice and any inherent implications.
Or rather, it may not be a matter of choice, but of convenience and flexibility in different circumstances.

I'd assume that if it were up to them, most artists out there would just put everything they had up for download.
All musicians want to be heard, after all. It's kind of the point.

But circumstances vary. And accommodating that is great.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-26 19:02:01

At 2/26/15 06:28 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote:
At 2/25/15 08:25 AM, Mattashi wrote: So I've noticed that you can still download a song with disabled download in .WAV format when you right click and select "Download song as WAV" :P
Mattashi is right. :T

We know about that but there isn't an easy way to fix that right now. We'll be replacing the player with a different one eventually.

Response to You can now disable downloads 2015-02-26 20:13:31

Nice I can post my EP tracks here for listening