00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Professional Fan Art > Official Art

1,711 Views | 15 Replies

Most of the time, fanart is rather shitty and poorly drawn in comparison to the official art.

However, when it's done professionally it can easily blow the original artwork straight out of the water.
Take the the official artwork for Starmie, and compare it to this fan art of it. Now tell me, which one of those do you like better?

The image below is of the Onceler from the Lorax.

Professional Fan Art > Official Art

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-23 16:52:14

At 2/23/15 04:43 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Most of the time, fanart is rather shitty and poorly drawn in comparison to the official art.

However, when it's done professionally it can easily blow the original artwork straight out of the water.
Take the the official artwork for Starmie, and compare it to this fan art of it. Now tell me, which one of those do you like better?

The image below is of the Onceler from the Lorax.

When a professional artist is commissioned to render something, chances are high that they only see that piece of work as another job. When a professional artist decides to create a work about something that artist really enjoys, it becomes a labor of love. In both cases, the artist is extremely skilled, but the mindset changes.

That's my theory, anyway.

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-23 17:26:59

The thing your missing is that fan art isn't original, most art isn't, it's blatantly copied. And just because it's more complex doesn't make it better. I hope you have enjoyed this lesson.

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-23 18:02:26

Like anything else, it depends on the artist and if the professional work is crappy, then it's hard not to be better than the so called pros who made it, which in turn means that they either missed the point of it all or the bar was set way too low. The rule of thumb is that professional art is going to be better at least 90 out of 100 times, and that has nothing to do with differential art styles.

If amateur art was really better, then how come people rarely hire them unless they are either desperate or have the belief that he/she is the next chosen one? Let's try to be wary of logical fallacies that involve money and art, because there are too many factors that get involved in these kind of situations, but I'm sure that the hipster mentality is going to drown out the more logical reasoning.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-23 22:59:16

At 2/23/15 10:43 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/23/15 10:35 PM, NippleManOfMilk wrote:

and then there's the people who can only mitigate their feelings of impotence and inadequacy by making passive-aggressive comments on the internet

isn't that a lot of your earlier comments yo

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-23 23:27:37

At 2/23/15 11:01 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/23/15 10:59 PM, angrybirds2000 wrote: isn't that a lot of your earlier comments yo
no
like what

everytime somebody posts a religion or american football thread you always make a pseudo snarky comment

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-24 00:17:08

At 2/23/15 11:28 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 2/23/15 11:27 PM, angrybirds2000 wrote: everytime somebody posts a religion or american football thread you always make a pseudo snarky comment
along with rap music and some other things

Explain to me why rap music is garbage

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-24 00:21:20

At 2/24/15 12:18 AM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 2/24/15 12:17 AM, angrybirds2000 wrote:
Because it's his opinion.

/derail

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-24 21:21:22

At 2/24/15 12:22 AM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 2/24/15 12:21 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 2/24/15 12:18 AM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 2/24/15 12:17 AM, angrybirds2000 wrote:
Because it's his opinion.
/derail
im offended by your comment, gimmick

b-but why

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-25 08:16:07

There are some real talented motherfuckers out there with a lot of time on their hands.

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-25 08:42:30

At 2/23/15 04:43 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Take the the official artwork for Starmie, and compare it to this fan art of it. Now tell me, which one of those do you like better?

I'm going to echo everything SuperBastard said, but also want to make a point about why this example sucks:

The official Starmie artwork was conceptualised nearly 20 years ago for a low definition games system. Apart from additional detail being a complete waste of time, remember that the concept artist has next to nothing to refer from and has to produce ideas for 149 other monsters within a limited amount of time.

Your fan-artist is doing it for the joy of it, is not restricted from embellishing the idea, and has the benefit of using inspiration from 20 years of other fan-artists and illustrators who have drawn Starmie.

The other problem is that your example artist is a "a final-year animation student with hopes of becoming a concept artist and fulfilling my own personal projects along the way", able to demonstrate all they have been taught and on the path of getting a job similar to the guy who made the official Starmie artwork.

Other fan-arts suck. They're either carbon copies, badly drawn or shagging characters from Family Guy. They get lost into the depths of the internet because they're unlikely to attract as much reviews as more professional fan arts.

BBS Signature

Note to Admin. I didn't mean to double post. Could you please delete this. Im so sorry.

There is this wonderful artist who does fanart but also does other art as well. His name is KEVIN E. MEINERT. We have a local con here and I always stop at his booth. Ive always bought at least one piece from him every time ive been to the
Kokomo-Con here in Indiana.

I did an art trade with him once. We both had an Edger Allen Poe sketching, he wanted mine, I wanted his so we traded. It was awesome.

He has the Poe he did on his contact page here http://www.kevinemeinert.com/#!contact/c16fm

and this one was mine http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jayweccent/poe?context=ratings:etma.user:5299167.scouted:.offset:7

Although his is so much better. The only difference is that my Poes eyes follow you around the room, lol.

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-25 15:52:25

At 2/23/15 04:43 PM, TheGamechanger wrote: Most of the time, fanart is rather shitty and poorly drawn in comparison to the official art.

I know what you're saying, but I actually like the original concept of Starmie better than the other because the 2nd one actually takes away from the original concept ex. the the stone emblem being turned into an eye. Its still a good recreation of someone else's idea, but I just like the original persons style/idea better sometimes

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-25 17:04:51

The problem is that the original artist came up with the concept, designed it, etc... People who make fanart just take something that already exists and make it look cool, which is not a bad thing, but credit where it's due.

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Professional Fan Art > Official Art 2015-02-25 21:46:10

I should be an artist for dragon ball z as I drew ssj2 goku with nothing more than ms paint

Which i would call fan art
so am i a professional?

The High Bunny Council Awaits

BBS Signature