00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Amiibo collecters thread.

6,987 Views | 86 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-18 22:31:37

We don't really have a thread about this yet, but they seem like they're here to stay. Show off your amiibos or info on how you track them down, we'd appreciate the help! Not a serious collector, only really into specific characters myself (rather pleased about finding a Mega Man though).

R.O.B and Robyn are the only two I'm dead set on getting now. Depends on what new series they make after Mario Party 10.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-18 23:19:41

I actually just bought a Bowser amiibo today and I have no regret. He has a slight lazy eye and I love it.
I also ordered a Japanese King Dedede last week, and I won't get it until like April.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-18 23:32:36

At 2/18/15 11:19 PM, JimmyTheCaterpillar wrote: I actually just bought a Bowser amiibo today and I have no regret. He has a slight lazy eye and I love it.
I also ordered a Japanese King Dedede last week, and I won't get it until like April.

That Dedede one is adorable. I had the chance to preorder a MetaKnight but I thought better of it. Preorders sold out soon after.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-18 23:34:30

At 2/18/15 11:32 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
That Dedede one is adorable. I had the chance to preorder a MetaKnight but I thought better of it. Preorders sold out soon after.

Dedede is by far the best looking in my opinion. But being a Dedes man, I'm surely biased. I was lucky to get him, as he was the last one on Amazon that wasn't over $45.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 14:05:19

I want Meta Knight and Lucario, but all I have right now is Kirby
These damn things sell like freaking hotcakes. If you dont preorder them, you arent gonna get them...

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 14:21:42

At 2/20/15 02:05 PM, Lionelion wrote: I want Meta Knight and Lucario, but all I have right now is Kirby
These damn things sell like freaking hotcakes. If you dont preorder them, you arent gonna get them...

People have been talking about how hard some of them are to get, but it must just be the U.S. When I got my Mega Man, I saw 6 Sonics, a ton a Toon Links and Sheiks, and a few Bowsers. The second wave went quickly though, my poor sister is never get a Little Mac it seems.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 15:10:37

I bought 4 at launch.

Can't imagine I'll buy any more. Hardly touched Smash as it is.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 15:49:00

I don't give a flying fuck about Amiibos. The only one I'm going to get is Ness and that's because Mother is my favorite game series ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 17:31:54

They are awesome, but I do not have any yet. Would enjoy getting Link and Mario at the very least.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 18:24:40

So far I only have Zelda, Peach, and Link. I'm really hoping to get Lucina and I'd also like Robin when they come out.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-20 23:25:17

At 2/20/15 02:05 PM, Lionelion wrote: I want Meta Knight and Lucario,

So apparently Im an idiot. Neither of these 2 have been released yet.

still unable to preorder them yet though...

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-21 01:55:02

Amiibo is one of the best non video game products that Nintendo has created.

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-21 02:45:33

Some of them are pretty cool looking. But I'd say the same for any figurines or toys.

Also I don't have the money nor the space to be collecting things like that. Are any of these required for particular video games, by the way? Like you literally cannot access certain content in the game unless you own the figure? Because if so, I'm certainly not a fan of that model. That's what Skylanders did if I'm not mistaken, where you could only play as or use figures you physically owned (Admittedly I've never played Skylanders, but from the commercials it appears that's how the games play)

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-21 11:59:34

At 2/21/15 02:45 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Also I don't have the money nor the space to be collecting things like that. Are any of these required for particular video games, by the way? Like you literally cannot access certain content in the game unless you own the figure?

It's only minor stuff like a costume or an item for most games. Amiibo are compatible with multiple games, so they serve as little add-on stuff like a weapon in Hyrule Warriors or some moves that makes the game a bit easier in the new Kirby game.

Smash Bros and Mario Party 10 have features that require you to save data onto amiibo, which can only be done once per amiibo (so either Smash Bros or Mario Part 10 for a Mario amiibo for example). Smash Bros gets you an AI fighter that you can train to mimic your fighting style, Mario Party 10 gets you some new game boards, so nothing essential to the games.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-21 17:58:12

At 2/21/15 11:59 AM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: It's only minor stuff like a costume or an item for most games. Amiibo are compatible with multiple games, so they serve as little add-on stuff like a weapon in Hyrule Warriors or some moves that makes the game a bit easier in the new Kirby game.

Smash Bros and Mario Party 10 have features that require you to save data onto amiibo, which can only be done once per amiibo (so either Smash Bros or Mario Part 10 for a Mario amiibo for example). Smash Bros gets you an AI fighter that you can train to mimic your fighting style, Mario Party 10 gets you some new game boards, so nothing essential to the games.

Eh, that still locks you out of gameplay content though unless you physically own specific figures. Special moves or weapons are significant. New boards/levels/areas are significant. That's a bit more than simply "You get a cute hat that does nothing" for example.

I don't like video games moving in this direction. I didn't like when video games moved in the DRM direction either, and this is similar. Essentially you have to pay more money to fully experience the game and, IMO, that's kind of not right.

I also didn't like it when certain games locked out specific content unless you owned another game. Sega Classics Collection for Playstation 2 locks you out of playing Comix Zone and The Ooze (Two of the very best games on that collection) unless it finds a save file from Sonic Heroes on your memory card, for example. That's simply rotten. (And the one and only acceptable reason to own a copy of Sonic Heroes)

Although I imagine it's probably possible to trick the device reader to make it think you had specific figures when you didn't, but that's quite a bit too much work for most, "cheating", and could make some people mad if they found you were using figures you didn't own but, IMO, isn't bypassing a skill-based requirement (but rather an asinine requirement). I can imagine a clever bootlegger making a set of playing cards that function as the various figures when, for example, touched to the device.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-21 23:24:23

At 2/21/15 05:58 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Eh, that still locks you out of gameplay content though unless you physically own specific figures. Special moves or weapons are significant. New boards/levels/areas are significant. That's a bit more than simply "You get a cute hat that does nothing" for example.

I see where you're coming from, but the stuff they offered are honestly just bonuses for me. The amiibo boards (do a quick google search) vs the regular boards in Mario Party 10 are so lackluster no ones going to feel like they missed out. The Smash Bros AI fighters are cool, but I lose interest pretty fast.

You may disagree with this, but personally I think that Nintendo puts enough content into all of their games that if they want to make amiibo necessary for some extra trivial stuff, it's fine. The Hyrule Warriors weapon you get for the Link amiibo is probably the most exclusive thing you can get with an amiibo, but this is for a game that has 400+ hours content on disc, and is a game with lots of free and paid DLC as well. Mario Kart 8's amiibo content is just for Mii costumes, and I paid the same price as an amiibo for both DLC packs, which essentially double the game's content.

I'm not worried about Nintendo locking away their content, because to me an amiibo is just a cool piece of merch. If they work for multiple Nintendo games, that's cool, but it's unlikely I'll even remember to use them since the bonus is so insignificant.

They will be releasing card versions of amiibo for those that get discontinued though, so you're not far off.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 00:30:19

At 2/21/15 11:24 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: You may disagree with this, but personally I think that Nintendo puts enough content into all of their games that if they want to make amiibo necessary for some extra trivial stuff, it's fine. The Hyrule Warriors weapon you get for the Link amiibo is probably the most exclusive thing you can get with an amiibo, but this is for a game that has 400+ hours content on disc, and is a game with lots of free and paid DLC as well. Mario Kart 8's amiibo content is just for Mii costumes, and I paid the same price as an amiibo for both DLC packs, which essentially double the game's content.

And also, I said DRM. I meant DLC although I hate both. It seems you subconsciously realized I meant DLC though.

How video games should work. You buy the one game one time and are given all aspects of the game all at once. Optionally you may be given free updates or other content if they wish to add stuff, but this should be free.

Any games that don't work on that model are inherently flawed. Exceptions would be free games are exempt and also free to play/pay to win is exempt (even though a lot of people hate that model) because at least you get the main game for free. Can't complain if you haven't actually put money into it and I don't recommend putting money into F2P/P2W .. simply play it free.

Any other models outright suck.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 00:57:35

At 2/22/15 12:30 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Any other models outright suck.

This will just come down to a difference of opinion. On disc DLC and day 1 DLC are the dick moves in my book. Saying that all paid DLC isn't worth isn't something I agree with. I will gladly play 10-15 dollars for substantial content developed after the game is released. As with any project, there are inevitably some features that will get dropped so the thing can actually ship, otherwise there would be a never ending development cycle. Whether or not you feel you should pay for these additions is up to you, but that's just how development of any sort of project works.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 11:28:13

I view Amiibo figures more as models, than actual video game extensions.

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 21:36:21

Well, I only have one amiibo, but I think it's pretty cool :P

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 21:56:02

At 2/22/15 09:36 PM, raremew wrote: Well, I only have one amiibo, but I think it's pretty cool :P

Link is an excellent character, no matter what form.

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-22 22:13:19

At 2/22/15 09:56 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 2/22/15 09:36 PM, raremew wrote: Well, I only have one amiibo, but I think it's pretty cool :P
Link is an excellent character, no matter what form.

I like toon link most

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-23 21:30:39

I would have tons of them if they were not sold out everywhere and like $40 on eBay....

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-02-24 21:01:52

I got these two about 3 weeks ago, that makes my collection:
Marth x 2 (one boxed, another unboxed)
Sheik
Diddy Kong
Wii Fit Trainer (boxed)
I'm hoping to get Fox and Sonic next, and eventually ZSS when she comes out.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Anyone still collecting amiibos? I managed to find Fox at Best Buy today.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-03-29 19:47:56

At 3/29/15 05:54 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Anyone still collecting amiibos? I managed to find Fox at Best Buy today.

That was a good find. Are you going to search for more?

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-03-29 23:05:15

At 3/29/15 07:47 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 3/29/15 05:54 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: Anyone still collecting amiibos? I managed to find Fox at Best Buy today.
That was a good find. Are you going to search for more?

I stop by GameStop once in a while to pick some up but today I was hunting them. I finished the commons off today with Diddy Kong, SSB Luigi, and SM Yoshi, so I probably won't be picking any up in stores for a while. Gamestop is calling me when they start taking wave 4 preorders so hopefully I'll be able to get Robin and Lucina. I also found Marth on eBay for $36 which is a pretty good price for him.

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-03-31 16:24:58

Just found out that the only other 2 amiibos I want are ONLY sold at exclusive stores, one being best buy, and one being toys r us, and neither of those stores are in the area where im living right now, so I have to hang on to that .01% chance that there will still be some of them left when I get back home in May

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-03-31 16:48:15

I have a few, but can not find a store to pick up more.

BBS Signature

Response to Amiibo collecters thread. 2015-03-31 18:45:56

I need to start a collection soon. I have a new shelf that's perfect for them.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature