00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

cameras to record videos.

661 Views | 16 Replies

cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 20:49:51

So I've been thinking of getting a camcorder for a while, one that will basically record stuff when I can then put onto the computer. Both for use inside and also outside. I don't want to go stupidly expensive or really very expensive at all, but also not stupidly cheap or too cheap really for a good thing. So basically a good camera which can record good video of good quality and for a good length of time and basically be good which I can either mount somewhere or carry with me and record on the go so I can upload to some videos onto youtube and also some for private keeps.

Any ideas of good ones people can recommend?
@Jay also since I know you use one to make your videos.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 20:54:55

Get a used dslr off ebay

But unless you're trying to make prosumer level shit there's no reason you can't use a phone unless you have one from like 2008 in which case you should treat yourself to an upgrade you deserve it

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 20:55:07

Maybe a DSLR if you want pretty good quality. However, compact cameras and action cameras are pretty cheap and will give you good enough quality if you just want to film.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 21:14:34

At 2/17/15 08:54 PM, Chocomilk wrote: Get a used dslr off ebay
But unless you're trying to make prosumer level shit there's no reason you can't use a phone unless you have one from like 2008 in which case you should treat yourself to an upgrade you deserve it

My phone is like a £20 one from 6 or so years ago.

At 2/17/15 08:57 PM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 2/17/15 08:54 PM, Chocomilk wrote: At 2/17/15 08:55 PM, RandyRandom wrote:
What these people are saying. I assume you know on how to shop on ebay, but if you need to know, look at the customers feedback on the seller.

These ones seem very expensive even for the used ones being over £200/300

At 2/17/15 08:51 PM, Cordyceps wrote: I have a JVC Everio, it shoots HD and isn't too costly. Gets the job done for me.

I like the look of these ones if they are the ones mentioned.

What is the cost I would be looking at? I found this as an example seeming like it would probably suffice from description for basically £160 is that a good or still kind of expensive price for what it is? Or could cheaper types suffice? The DSLR ones seemed more expensive as a whole.
As for the DSLR ones mentioned I found This as an example but it seems more bulky than the other kind, the big lens on the front probably being good for home use but might get in the way and not be as easy to use outside if walking around.

Also there is the added note of paranoia of it being swiped, so more wieldy to keep it attached to the hand etc. is ideal.

The thing I'm most ignorant on is all the types and stuff and models since I've never had one before, and obviously some models might be crap and others might be amazing, all that jazz.

BBS Signature

At 2/17/15 09:17 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 2/17/15 09:14 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: What is the cost I would be looking at? I found this as an example seeming like it would probably suffice from description for basically £160 is that a good or still kind of expensive price for what it is?
I payed about $200 CAD for mine.

Or could cheaper types suffice? The DSLR ones seemed more expensive as a whole.
You're probably better off without getting a DSLR, you're not likely to use half the things on them unless you're a professional.

Would that one linked be a decent type of model to check out? Was just the first thing googled. from this site , but with that said the first page also showed another 2 models that seemed inferior here, so I clicked the left one.

...oh wait I think the models just change the colour of them....well except for the 4th one anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 21:24:27

At 2/17/15 09:23 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 2/17/15 09:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Would that one linked be a decent type of model to check out?
Yeah, this one is pretty much the same as mine. I would recommend it.

Okay thanks, I'll keep an eye on that one and see what others might say about any other types and might go with it if it turns out to be probably ideal.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 21:32:37

I use my smartphone and it gives good enough quality for my use.

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 21:36:33

At 2/17/15 09:31 PM, FurryGod wrote: We don't need any more Let's Plays.

I already record them with capture cards / fraps for superior quality.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 22:17:21

I use a 5th gen iPod Touch. The video and audio are shit, but it's a lot better than nothing, which is pretty much all I had up until 2012 with the exception of a couple shitty camcorder videos. Said videos were just me pointing the camera at a screen and recording games. Apparently I didn't think recording myself or things around me would be interesting. The only video I know of that wasn't video game shit was me flipping through a book of Pokémon cards without saying a word.

I'd also like camcorder recommendations. I'm thinking about getting this one here.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-17 23:02:21

Get a thmart phone. Then you can just email the vids to yourself, easy-peasy.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 00:46:32

At 2/17/15 08:49 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Any ideas of good ones people can recommend?
@Jay also since I know you use one to make your videos.

I use a Canon SX160, it's decent for it's price and shoots in 720p and all that. It's also fairly simple to use, the only thing is that I don't know if you can upgrade the lens on it, but I didn't really plan on it anyway since I'm an amateur at best with cameras. It was around $140 at my local Target. You can probably find it for cheaper online, and if you use eBay I'd recommend usually avoiding the "buy it now" items since the auctions are almost always cheaper. You just have to find a good deal and make sure the item is in good working condition. Just look at any of the live-action stuff from my recent videos and if that's the quality that you're looking for then the Canon SX160 is probably a good choice. Maybe there's cheaper alternatives, but this has worked fine for me.

Good luck!

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 00:51:52

I hear you can get lenses and tripods for your smartphone. All depends on just how cheap you want to go, but as far as I'm aware those lenses can give you some decent quality considering you're just using a phone camera.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 11:02:03

Entry-level Canon DSLR with tripod and a small light kit.

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 12:42:12

I have an earlier JVC camera, just haven't had the time to film lately.

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 13:37:19

At 2/18/15 12:34 PM, Lepy wrote: Smart phones aren't bad cameras at all

Canon's T3i is a really good flagship

Sony point and shoots are good

I'm not sure I'd totally trust a camera that only does 720p

What the fuck am I reading.

At 2/18/15 02:08 PM, Lepy wrote:
At 2/18/15 01:37 PM, Bit wrote:
At 2/18/15 12:34 PM, Lepy wrote: Smart phones aren't bad cameras at all

Canon's T3i is a really good flagship

Sony point and shoots are good

I'm not sure I'd totally trust a camera that only does 720p
What the fuck am I reading.
A post aimed at someone who doesn't want to spend that much money on a camera. I could see where you could disagree with Sony cameras, but I stand by everything else.

Is the T3i not a good DSLR for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a camera?

Smart phones have shit cameras. The sensors are miniscule, the lenses are often made of plastic, and they don't even have optical zoom.

The T3i is not a flagship. The Canon 1D C and 1D X are flagships.

Only Sony's pro-sumer products are good. Their consumer-level stuff is all shit.

720p with a great lens/sensor is better than 1080p with a shit lens/sensor. More megapickles don't make for better image quality.

Response to cameras to record videos. 2015-02-18 18:41:22

Smartphones have pretty much made standalone camcorders obsolete.

However, waterproof action cameras can do things that most smartphones cannot. And are cheaper too.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature