00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

liazx just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creature of the Week #91

1,157 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-17 09:51:20

Hi there, welcome to the Creature Of The Week (COW), it's was popular activity/competition thread series some time ago in the art forum, which was brought back by different OPs from time to time

Each Monday (oops) will be given a new theme for creating a creature, you must draw that creature until the end of Sunday, on the next Monday a new COW and a voting thread for the previous COW starts, as usual, the COW will not have an physical prize. However, works from COWs are likely to be front paged if they are good enough, but it's a cool activity where you can improve your drawing skills if you participate each week.

(good part of the up text was copy-pasted from idiot-monarch's thread)

This week's theme: Newborn
The idea is draw your creature on it earlier stage of his life, or draw it adult with his child

===CREATURE OF THE WEEK RULES===
- Only one entry per user will go through to the vote thread.
- You cannot post your old work.
- No human likenesses.
- No real-life animals (play-on-names are fine).
- No creature chimeras.
- A description for your creature is recommended, but not necessary.
- No MS Paint.
- If I decide not enough time has been spent on a submission, it won't be accepted.
- Entries MUST be known to the host of the contest.
- All other Art Forum rules apply.

deadline: 24 February
Feel free to pm me with new themes or ideas for the upcoming COWs

Creature of the Week #91

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-17 10:25:32

At 2/17/15 09:51 AM, LoboF wrote: ===CREATURE OF THE WEEK RULES===
- Only one entry per user will go through to the vote thread.
- If I decide not enough time has been spent on a submission, it won't be accepted.
- Entries MUST be known to the host of the contest.

I would like to say I'm very excited to see the COW thread pop up.

However, in light of this recent discussion, maybe now is the time to revise the perhaps a bit outdated rules? I like the idea of a sketch jam where people share visual thoughts, concepts, and ideas. If anyone wanted to do a very polished illustration then that's cool, and if someone just wanted to contribute by posting sketches, studies, concepts, poses - or even textures and patterns - that would be fine too!

Maybe?

BBS Signature

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-17 10:44:58

At 2/17/15 10:25 AM, Havegum wrote: However, in light of this recent discussion, maybe now is the time to revise the perhaps a bit outdated rules? I like the idea of a sketch jam where people share visual thoughts, concepts, and ideas. If anyone wanted to do a very polished illustration then that's cool, and if someone just wanted to contribute by posting sketches, studies, concepts, poses - or even textures and patterns - that would be fine too!

Maybe?

I think we could have them both running at the same time. I was considering a single thread for the sketch jams, with weekly topics chosen by whoever says what the theme is on Monday.

BBS Signature

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-17 11:02:32

At 2/17/15 10:25 AM, Havegum wrote: maybe now is the time to revise the perhaps a bit outdated rules? I like the idea of a sketch jam where people share visual thoughts, concepts, and ideas. If anyone wanted to do a very polished illustration then that's cool, and if someone just wanted to contribute by posting sketches, studies, concepts, poses - or even textures and patterns - that would be fine too!

yeah i think that "If I decide not enough time has been spent on a submission, it won't be accepted" will scare people away from the thread
posting sketches, studies, concepts, poses are accepted and appreciated, between the can't go to the voting thread, unless we have sufficient submissions of both to make a voting of the best artwork and other to the best concept

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-18 16:44:35

At 2/17/15 11:02 AM, LoboF wrote: posting sketches, studies, concepts, poses are accepted and appreciated

Cool, here's some of that then

Creature of the Week #91

BBS Signature

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-21 16:22:52

My entry. If applicable. If not, then no one knows the power of love but the end of my pinky that whispers to me at night.

Creature of the Week #91

Support me on my Patreon!

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 04:17:20

Damn, I completely forgot about this thread, I drew something up for it though!
I've never been great with COW though.

Creature of the Week #91

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 11:25:03

I'm going to be pretty busy this week, but I'll definitely contribute if I have the time.

Sweet glow on that JO, bro. Must have been a lot of positive energy at the sesh.

-DA-Tumblr-

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 12:56:36

I started working on something for this, but I've been terribly busy and didn't have time to finish it.
I thought I'd share my WIP, though. Looking forward to trying to do another one down the line.

Creature of the Week #91

I do art, animations, and the occasional live action production.

Check 'em out and have a jolly ol' time.

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 17:44:40

At 2/18/15 04:44 PM, Havegum wrote: Cool, here's some of that then

It's not much but here it is

Creature of the Week #91

BBS Signature

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 20:27:39

I spend more time on this then I thought I would.

Creature of the Week #91

BBS Signature

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-22 22:27:46

Aww, what a cutie~

A little unconventional, but still カワイー in my books!

Creature of the Week #91

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-23 17:10:42 (edited 2015-02-23 17:11:01)

Well I very recently finished this. I wasn't aware that this was going on, but as coincidence has it, I drew a baby creature with its mother.

The description goes as follows:

When a pitcher deer becomes a mother, the honey bulbs on her head and chest bloom into flowers and act as a source of nutrients for her fawn. Pitcher deer require the extra source of nutrients they gain from insects, but a fawn's pitcher plant isn't capable of catching bugs until they get a little older, so the special flowers that bloom are substantial in getting nutrients.

I've drawn this creature before, this link might clarify what exactly this creature is: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cons14/pitcher-deer

Creature of the Week #91

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-24 03:16:00 (edited 2015-02-24 03:25:18)

These are all super handsome, you guys. @LoboF, thanks so much for reviving this!

Edit: I CAN'T FP YOUR PIECES IF Y'ALL DON'T SUBMIT THEM TO THE PORTAL. Jeez...

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-24 05:04:19

also reviews! if you're into that kinda thing.

@taragraphics. wonderful character design. i wish for the sake of the piece that you'd put a bit more attention into the background/composition, but you've accomplished the COW's aims admirably.

@jackdecurleo. ugh too cute. nice job on overlapping figures and using the shapes of the wings to direct attention around the piece. if there's anything to work on i'd say it's color - the yellow/red/purple combination doesn't make a ton of sense to me from a color theory standpoint.

@fnorkus. this is so unfinished i can't think of anything to say, sorry.

@havegum. adorable sketches. and for your actual piece, as you said it's pretty simple but the pairing of that simplicity with the richness of color and composition reminds me of japanese printmaking. very nice.

@zanezansorrow. this is pretty fantastic. i usually shy away from red/green color contrasts even though complementary color schemes are so strong because I'm afraid I'll accidentally remind people of christmas, but you've done a great job of avoiding that trap here with your subtle use of much quieter yellows and blues. great job, boyo. also a lovely composition.

@lintire. the concept for this one is awesome and awful and my favorite. nice colors, as usual. you and i both know you're capable of much more polished pieces, so let's ignore your rendering.

@jojododo. you've a beautifully descriptive sketching style. shame we won't see this finished. don't be afraid to have shapes flowing off sides of the piece for a more open composition.

@cons14. your creature design here is super neat and i enjoyed your description of the species. nice rendering but your lighting could use a lot of work. the composition could be more dynamic; the way both creatures are portrayed in profile on the same plane makes the piece seem less dimensional.

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-24 05:36:39

At 2/24/15 05:11 AM, JojoDodo wrote: ...do you think i should submit it to the portal, sketchy as it is?

I wouldn't? Up to you though. I try to keep my sketches and WIPs off my art page.

Response to Creature of the Week #91 2015-02-24 12:43:29 (edited 2015-02-24 12:51:24)

At 2/24/15 03:16 AM, lovingthedark wrote: These are all super handsome, you guys. @LoboF, thanks so much for reviving this!

Edit: I CAN'T FP YOUR PIECES IF Y'ALL DON'T SUBMIT THEM TO THE PORTAL. Jeez...

MmmmmmNo! Don't wanna >:3

But in all honesty I kinda wanna work on it some more with detailing and coloring and adjusting the background (I can't decide between waterfall or lake) before submitting it to the portal (even after COW ended). :3

Edit: Thanks for the review The-ly!

BBS Signature