00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Peacefulwilly's art thread

597 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey there! I just signed up to newgrounds and this is basically my first post ever.
I have always loved drawing and even though I've neglected that love for many years I've been getting more into it lately and decided to get more serious. I hope that's enough for a small introduction, now, let me show you what I've made over the last year or so!

You can find most of my artworks at: http://insanitynick.deviantart.com/

Response to Peacefulwilly's art thread 2015-02-15 13:06:15

it seems that I can't post alot of pictures in one post so I'll just post two for now and post more if people want it!

Response to Peacefulwilly's art thread 2015-02-15 13:56:44

Good looking stuff, hope you post some more!

It might just be the compression NG puts on images in the forums but it's kind of hard to see the girl's midsection in the first picture. It seems to blend too closely with the background.

Response to Peacefulwilly's art thread 2015-02-15 14:26:34

At 2/15/15 01:56 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Good looking stuff, hope you post some more!

It might just be the compression NG puts on images in the forums but it's kind of hard to see the girl's midsection in the first picture. It seems to blend too closely with the background.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll make sure to post some more then.

As to her midsection, it's a bit of both actually. While it's easier to see on a larger image it's still very similar to the background so it takes a little focus. definitely a mistake on my part. :p

At 2/15/15 02:26 PM, Peacefulwilly wrote:
At 2/15/15 01:56 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Good looking stuff, hope you post some more!

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll make sure to post some more then.

As to her midsection, it's a bit of both actually. While it's easier to see on a larger image it's still very similar to the background so it takes a little focus. definitely a mistake on my part. :p

I see. After browsing through some of your work I've noticed a trend where your background and foreground values tend to be somewhat similar. Without much separation between those elements, the focus of your picture--usually the character--doesn't always grab the viewers attention like it could.
For example, in your fox-girl image, her tail tends to draw the eye because it's this big swathe of dark on a mostly light canvas.

Response to Peacefulwilly's art thread 2015-02-15 18:24:15

Backgrounds always been my weakest link, thanks for the feedback mate. Appreciated!

Response to Peacefulwilly's art thread 2015-02-19 09:23:22

At 2/19/15 09:06 AM, DhomynO wrote:
At 2/15/15 06:24 PM, Peacefulwilly wrote: Backgrounds always been my weakest link, thanks for the feedback mate. Appreciated!
Hi, I'm dhom. Just some advice here, you don't have to listen to me but... backgrounds...
I think that's where your skills should expand to, get outside your comfort zone, and do some environmental studies as well as some atmospheric studies too. don't always just stick with what you are good at, do the hard parts, and transition over into a great artist by taking the next step in developing a more elaborate cohesive composition. Still I like your art.

Thanks! You're absolutely right and the feedback is appreciated.
I've been practicing on backgrounds in the past few days and I will be posting a new picture once I'm finished.

Hopefully you'll like it.

At 2/19/15 09:40 AM, DhomynO wrote:
Thanks! You're absolutely right and the feedback is appreciated.
I've been practicing on backgrounds in the past few days and I will be posting a new picture once I'm finished.

Hopefully you'll like it.
If you want someone to critique your work constructively, I'd be more then happy to. :)

Well here we go! my first attempt at an actual background with decent scenery.
it also happens to be my entry for the COTM ( A resized version of this. ).