00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to Fight

3,662 Views | 44 Replies

"He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious." - Sun Tzu

Share and discuss fighting techniques here, either from your own personal experiences, or perhaps lessons from your master.

With great power comes great responsibility. It is irresponsible and frowned upon to use your fighting skills for your own personal gain. Any dishonor brought to this thread will be shut down immediately.

winner of the first annual NG Hunger games

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 03:35:12

At 2/14/15 03:33 AM, Sekhem wrote: shoot first

Only if you're Han Solo

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 03:59:27

Seriously.

I have been in quite a few fights. I don't like fights, I try to avoid them, they tend to involve mostly trouble and injuries and all of the worst kinds of drama, and win or lose I usually come out of them shaking and feeling sick.

Most of the fights I've ever lost involved me getting hit in the face right off the bat. Starting out a fight somewhat stunned is not good, and if you get hit first your reaction is likely to be worse, and you'll end up falling behind while the other guy pounds on you.

If you're looking to "win" a fistfight (very different from winning a battle of wills, a trial of moral rectitude, or a legal dispute) being the one who hits first (see: actually hits, not just swings) is an enormous advantage.

Something my sensei once said was "never wrestle a wrestler, never box a boxer"; that is to say, if you're going to fight someone, don't fight them at what they're good at. You don't want to be grappling the guy who has 50 lbs on you, you don't want to be trading blow-for-blow with someone who has longer arms and better technique than you, you don't want to bring the proverbial knife to the gunfight. Size up your opponent quickly, and don't stand there thinking about it giving them the opportunity to get you on the ropes (possibly literally, in this sense).

At 6/24/15 11:11 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:

: CorpseGrinder is the Undertaker of the Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 04:45:08

Pin 'em against the wall

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 05:00:33

be one of these two

How to Fight

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 05:15:26

attacking people is a criminal act. learn how to defend yourself, if they assault you - you can kill them

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 05:53:26

Footwork, lots of footwork. I Cannot stretch how important this is. Blocking/praying Is good but its not going to do shit if you are standing in one place. Even if you do mange to block a punch standing in place, you are just going to get hit with his second hand unless you move your ass. Which brings me to my next point.

Stamina, go for a jug once in a while it will do you good and its the best way to build up your stamina. A stand up fight involves a lot of movement which require endurance, You don't want to be tired after 2 minutes. There's a myth among martial artist the a fight lasts about 10 seconds but the truth is that fights can last for hours.

Its not all there is too it but its a start.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 06:13:52

put poison in their water bottle.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 08:06:57

Step one: Scream like a woman, curl up into a ball and cry.
Step two: When he turns away in disgust, get up and dropkick him to the ground.
Step three: While he's on the ground kick him in the ribs and step on his neck.
Step four: Run like hell.

"Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody."

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 08:29:37

At 2/14/15 05:15 AM, finicalprickle wrote: attacking people is a criminal act. learn how to defend yourself, if they assault you - you can kill them

Seems a bit over the top to kill another person just because they attack you.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 09:06:36

eye contact. it's hard to maintain during stressful situations but the eyes never lie. maybe he has flickers of fears in those eyes, he won't hit first or will try to back down. maybe he's staring you down, he thinks you're scared of him and he's waiting for you to bitch out.

never back down from a stare down or you lose already

gaydemocrat: i just found a seed in my dope

gaydemocrat: this is a fucking outrage

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 10:49:16 (edited 2015-02-14 10:50:19)

in all seriousness tho, go for the throat, stomach, nose, and eyes.
edit: forgot about the balls or tits

don't just stand around in the same spot like a jackass. you gotta be as fidgety as a crackhead.

don't use "he attacked me" as an excuse to rape him because apparently that doesn't count as self defense.

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 11:09:34

Go to teh gyms
Werk out for 2 hourz
Lift
Knock person's teeth out in a single punch, because i'm mister tough boy.

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 14:26:30

1. git gud
2. fiyt
3. win

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 16:19:35

At 2/14/15 03:59 AM, CorpseGrinderClock wrote:
If you're looking to "win" a fistfight (very different from winning a battle of wills, a trial of moral rectitude, or a legal dispute) being the one who hits first (see: actually hits, not just swings) is an enormous advantage.

See, I would count his swinging and missing as the opponent hitting first. His attack doesn't actually have to connect for it to count. I would say never be the first one to take things physical. Don't throw the first punch. But him swinging and missing counts as him throwing the first punch (even though he missed) so at that point all bets are off. Tear him up.

Fight dirty if it comes to it, but never start a fight and always try to find other ways to handle it, first. If it's just verbal you keep that shit verbal.

Only ever fight in self defense or in defense of another who can't defend themselves. For example if a bully is beating the shit out of some poor guy, you'd be justified in going over there and beating the shit out of that bully to help the guy out. Or if there's a rape in progress, you're fully justified in knocking the guy's lights out. Etc...

Just general advice though is be on your guard at all times and always be aware of your environment, and always use your environment to your advantage. Use psychological tactics to your advantage as well, because frequently the violent aren't the most rational people and so it may be possible to trick them in various ways. Do so, if possible.

Are they superstitious? Use it to your advantage. Sense any animosity between group members (in the case you're jumped or ganged up on)? Try to play it off and turn them against each other. Do they have a macho mentality? Use it to your advantage. Do they appear slow-thinking? Definitely use to your advantage.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 19:01:23

At 2/14/15 10:10 AM, 24901miles wrote: Seriously, if you ever get in a fight your only option is to run away.

This thread advocates courage. I only want the best for my fellow NG'ers, so I initiated discussion and the trade of ideas about fighting techniques.

life is just a trek, a quest to obtain knowledge, power, perhaps domination. maybe someone will win the race someday

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 19:42:07

At 2/14/15 03:35 AM, FoAngel wrote:
Only if you're Han Solo

Only if you're a cop.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 19:54:08

At 2/14/15 10:10 AM, 24901miles wrote: Seriously, if you ever get in a fight your only option is to run away.

Damnit they have a god given right to be in their location. no asshole who wants to be a bully should take that away from them.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:08:46

At 2/14/15 07:01 PM, NewgroundsNation wrote:
This thread advocates courage. I only want the best for my fellow NG'ers, so I initiated discussion and the trade of ideas about fighting techniques.

Those who advocate not fighting, running away, etc... are simply people who are speaking from precisely zero personal experience and mindlessly parroting what they've been told by teachers/parents/etc... It's easy for them to say these things because they've never been in any fights themselves. They also will smugly think of themselves as "better people" when in reality they're simply less-experienced people and likely cowardly people (thus, actually worse people)

They're parroting what they think will "sound good" while having precisely zero knowledge of real-world circumstances. And "teacher says" not to hit back, so they don't. Well fuck that shit! If someone is beating you up anyway, tear them a new asshole I say. If they're going to make you hurt, then make them hurt as well.

Only do it in self-defense or in defense of another who can't defend themselves, but if it comes down to it, kick some ass.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:27:17

Keep a good level of appeasement with both sides to prevent conflict. Make it so that taking up arms against you will be a loss for them so that it will not be worth the conflict for them.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:30:28

At 2/14/15 08:12 PM, Cordyceps wrote:
At 2/14/15 08:08 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Those who advocate not fighting, running away, etc... are simply people who are speaking from precisely zero personal experience and mindlessly parroting what they've been told by teachers/parents/etc... It's easy for them to say these things because they've never been in any fights themselves.
I would acknowledge deescalating the situation as the best possible option in any case.

But in my personal experience, I don't have the tact or patience to do so when its already escalated to the point where there's gonna be a fight, so I've always stood my ground with varying results.

Well certainly. If it's possible, use any other means necessary. But if/when it comes down to it and the dudes are already beating you (or beating a friend, or raping someone, etc...), at that point show no mercy and fight back dirty as hell. Because they're certainly not going to stop what they're doing just because you choose not to fight back.

It's not cowardly to fight dirty unless you're the aggressor. Someone defending themselves or others will do what they must to ensure their safety and survival, in an emergency situation. And if that means fighting as nasty as possible, so be it.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:36:07

Always wear boxing gloves and a mask. It will cover offense and defense.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:42:46

At 2/14/15 08:36 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Always wear boxing gloves and a mask. It will cover offense and defense.

Does it also help if you have a Cheat?

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 20:55:41

At 2/14/15 08:43 PM, Lich wrote: Better to be in a concrete cell than a rather dirt-covered wooden one I'd say. But who knows, it's not exactly much of a popular opinion it seems.

And popular opinions are worth precisely jack. People who base their actions off popular opinion don't tend to be very smart people. Good advice all-around though.

Only thing is most people are not going to be wearing ass-kicking footwear. Assuming they wear ass-kicking footwear is like assuming they carry around brass knuckles. Someone could, but most people don't.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-14 22:55:45

One of the basics is keeping good footwork and balance. It doesn't matter how strong your punch is if you go down easily.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-15 15:18:07

wat exactly are you people fightin over?
your head so stuck up your ass you cant accept the truth like the monkey u are
finnaly doin something about gettin bullied lmao

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-15 21:19:18

At 2/15/15 07:51 PM, Lich wrote: <sane, rational response>

See, it's pretty obvious which people ITT have actually had to fight and which are fortunate enough never to have been in such a bad situation. It's never something you should want to do but, backed into a corner, sometimes you have no choice. In that case your options are get the shit beaten out of you and end up in the hospital ... or ... fight back and maybe still end up in the hospital (but possibly not) but maybe send those other guys to the hospital too.

It's very easy for pseudo-intellectuals to spout advice which "sounds good" and unfortunately many will believe them because, to someone who doesn't know any better, what they say does sound good but unfortunately is of no practical use when or if the time comes.

It's an unfortunate matter there are those who are obsessed with "being right" even when they're not. And they frequently become offended when shown just how wrong they truly are. Because, to them, they are not truly interested in factuality (if they were, they would appreciate being corrected in the event they were wrong). Instead, they are only interested in stroking their own enormous egos and being shown to be wrong is the primary thing they can't stand, which is why instead of learn something out of it, they choose the get all offended route.

No one (except crazy people) actually want to fight. But sometimes you have no choice. Surely it should always be a last resort of action but if it comes down to them or you, you make sure you're getting out of there alive by whatever means necessary.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-15 21:23:03 (edited 2015-02-15 21:24:26)

asscociates? maybe you should quit the gangster lifesyle and move out of the poor part of town and quit attacking thugs.

I remember when I was on a skytrain some gangster rapper thug got in a fight with some punk rocker dressed guy over his appearance. Quit being an attention whore it causes trouble.

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-15 21:26:53

At 2/15/15 09:23 PM, finicalprickle wrote: I remember when I was on a skytrain some gangster rapper thug got in a fight with some punk rocker dressed guy over his appearance. Quit being an attention whore it causes trouble.

who won?

BBS Signature

Response to How to Fight 2015-02-15 21:30:02

they ended up a few skytrain cars down and i couldnt see them, i think it was the gangster type guy with was talking about how he got out of prison won

its funny cause all that day the theme was violence. Jesus knows everything happens for a reason.